• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Any NSX Gen 2 (NC1) Owners?

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am exploring my options a bit more by omitting a manual transmission from my search. The gen 1 NSX has been my favorite car for a long time, and I am aware gen 2 is nothing like it at all. Second hand (obviously, they are discontinued) some of them seem like pretty good value for the performance. They barely come in more expensive than an Emira.

I love Honda, always have, but I can find next to no data regarding reliability since launch in 2017. I see some recalls and some lemon buybacks, and a scary engine out service at 75k miles for $20k. What worries me is a sudden flood of them in the market (assuming people dumping them as warranties expire, which maybe is a sign they cost too much to maintain out of pocket). Has anyone on the forum owned one to be able to speak to this?

This is really me trying to branch out... it is pretty much the antithesis of classic Lotus; electric motors, electric steering, electric braking, extremely heavy and lots of power and tech to direct it where it needs to go. Just trying to keep an open mind, tough as it is.

I know I could go to an NSX forum, but I always kind of want the perspective of people with this mindset. Maybe they totally suck to drive and on an NSX forum all I would get is fluff!

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've been looking at these, also but the lowest price I've seen is about $130,000. Everything I've read so far has been positive as far as reliability goes. I think an oil change is $600 with three drains and a gazillion screws to remove to get at them. They are fast. I've also recently been looking at new Supras and was surprised to see that they have been very reliable. The local dealership tacks on $6000 as ADM, unfortunately. Allocations are very small, thus the gouging.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking at these, also but the lowest price I've seen is about $130,000. Everything I've read so far has been positive as far as reliability goes. I think an oil change is $600 with three drains and a gazillion screws to remove to get at them. They are fast. I've also recently been looking at new Supras and was surprised to see that they have been very reliable. The local dealership tacks on $6000 as ADM, unfortunately. Allocations are very small, thus the gouging.

Same. I've been looking at every other possible option. Especially because it sounds like US production won't even happen until 2024 now. 🙄

I was researching NSXs last night actually. Unfortunately the final version Type S is crazy expensive still ($200k+)and the regular SH in the spec I'd want (orange or classic JDM white w/red interior) were around $130-160k with 10-20k miles. The performance is a bit under whelming too. They look exotic but with 3 electric motors and a a twin turbo V6, I'd expect something a bit more exciting. Plus they weigh nearly 3900 lbs and automatic only! Interior is kinda meh too.

KaizokuCoder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've owned a 1st gen NSX for 24 years. I have a buddy who moved from his 1st gen to the new one and is very happy with it. For me, the Emira is what I had always hoped the 2nd gen NSX would be. I'm eager to get mine, but I've been waiting for the right car for a decade, so I have learned patience.
Good luck whatever you choose!

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Nc1 engine replacement cost 158k. The car wasn’t a huge seller and parts and services will cost a-lot. I’m not willing to roll a dice on a highly complicated car with electric motors and high tech electronics.

EmiraHK

Reaction score
I have both an NA1 and now an Emira. As similar in design (MR V6 Manual, similar dimensions) as they seem, I can say they drive vastly different. Without going into too much detail (as I’m still exploring the emira), everything from power band to handling feels very different. I will say I do like the NA1 seating position a bit more and overall the NA1 sits a bit lower than the emira. But both have their pros and cons in their own way but given the Emira is 32 years newer, it’s a much better daily driver.

Attachments

• IMG_5740.jpeg
    IMG_5740.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 65
OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Nc1 engine replacement cost 158k. The car wasn’t a huge seller and parts and services will cost a-lot. I’m not willing to roll a dice on a highly complicated car with electric motors and high tech electronics.

Yeah, my biggest issue with it is how complex it is. Probably best to avoid, just wish I had a backup to be as excited about if the Emira doesn't work out for me. I am sure many are in the same boat.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Same. I've been looking at every other possible option. Especially because it sounds like US production won't even happen until 2024 now. 🙄

I was researching NSXs last night actually. Unfortunately the final version Type S is crazy expensive still ($200k+)and the regular SH in the spec I'd want (orange or classic JDM white w/red interior) were around $130-160k with 10-20k miles. The performance is a bit under whelming too. They look exotic but with 3 electric motors and a a twin turbo V6, I'd expect something a bit more exciting. Plus they weigh nearly 3900 lbs and automatic only! Interior is kinda meh too.
Yeah I think they would have sold better if they started out all looking like the type S, that is for sure! Interior doesn't bother me, but my standards are kind of low compared to many people when it comes to that stuff.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I think they would have sold better if they started out all looking like the type S, that is for sure! Interior doesn't bother me, but my standards are kind of low compared to many people when it comes to that stuff.

I like a nice interior. Soft touch surfaces, deviated stitching, Alcantara, Android Auto, user defined led ambient lighting, etc. I always think that if my $30k 6 year old GTI has all that, then my new $100k+ car should have it. That's clearly not always the case though.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I like a nice interior. Soft touch surfaces, deviated stitching, Alcantara, Android Auto, user defined led ambient lighting, etc. I always think that if my $30k 6 year old GTI has all that, then my new $100k+ car should have it. That's clearly not always the case though.
Yeah that is a good point, when you are dishing out that much it is fair to expect a nice interior. Well, after everything you guys have said kind of echoing my own thoughts, I think I have been successfully dissuaded from buying one. Honestly part of me is considering just picking up a used Elise for weekends and buying a GR Corolla or Golf R or something. All these issues are starting to scare me about the Emira. If I follow through, which I probably will, I am definitely gonna have to swallow my pride and accept I will likely be getting towed/ in pretty embarrassing situations haha

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yeah that is a good point, when you are dishing out that much it is fair to expect a nice interior. Well, after everything you guys have said kind of echoing my own thoughts, I think I have been successfully dissuaded from buying one. Honestly part of me is considering just picking up a used Elise for weekends and buying a GR Corolla or Golf R or something. All these issues are starting to scare me about the Emira. If I follow through, which I probably will, I am definitely gonna have to swallow my pride and accept I will likely be getting towed/ in pretty embarrassing situations haha
The probability of having to have a new car towed is not something I'm willing to deals with. I still have at least a year to decide but IfToyota comes out with a 300 HP, 2800 lb MR2, I may be choosing that, instead.

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am exploring my options a bit more by omitting a manual transmission from my search. The gen 1 NSX has been my favorite car for a long time, and I am aware gen 2 is nothing like it at all. Second hand (obviously, they are discontinued) some of them seem like pretty good value for the performance. They barely come in more expensive than an Emira.

I love Honda, always have, but I can find next to no data regarding reliability since launch in 2017. I see some recalls and some lemon buybacks, and a scary engine out service at 75k miles for $20k. What worries me is a sudden flood of them in the market (assuming people dumping them as warranties expire, which maybe is a sign they cost too much to maintain out of pocket). Has anyone on the forum owned one to be able to speak to this?

This is really me trying to branch out... it is pretty much the antithesis of classic Lotus; electric motors, electric steering, electric braking, extremely heavy and lots of power and tech to direct it where it needs to go. Just trying to keep an open mind, tough as it is.

I know I could go to an NSX forum, but I always kind of want the perspective of people with this mindset. Maybe they totally suck to drive and on an NSX forum all I would get is fluff!
The Emira is the spiritual successor to the Gen 1 NSX. I've thought this for a long time.

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Honestly, nothing made sense to me about the Gen 2 NSX. It didn't follow the model set up by the first gen car in any meaningful way. Instead of giving fans what they wanted, they went with an immensely complicated hybrid set up that pushed the price of the car to oblivion. People were then confronted with the idea of spending 150k+ for an

Acura. All but the most hardcore Honda fanboys at this point looked to other cars in the price range and said, "why get an Acura when I can get a Ferarri, Lambo, McLaren, etc?"

At this point, all it has going for it is its rarity. But its best to keep in mind that it's not rare because it was difficult to get. It's rare because nobody wanted one.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have both an NA1 and now an Emira. As similar in design (MR V6 Manual, similar dimensions) as they seem, I can say they drive vastly different. Without going into too much detail (as I’m still exploring the emira), everything from power band to handling feels very different. I will say I do like the NA1 seating position a bit more and overall the NA1 sits a bit lower than the emira. But both have their pros and cons in their own way but given the Emira is 32 years newer, it’s a much better daily driver.

You are my hero.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Honestly, nothing made sense to me about the Gen 2 NSX. It didn't follow the model set up by the first gen car in any meaningful way. Instead of giving fans what they wanted, they went with an immensely complicated hybrid set up that pushed the price of the car to oblivion. People were then confronted with the idea of spending 150k+ for an

Acura. All but the most hardcore Honda fanboys at this point looked to other cars in the price range and said, "why get an Acura when I can get a Ferarri, Lambo, McLaren, etc?"

At this point, all it has going for it is its rarity. But its best to keep in mind that it's not rare because it was difficult to get. It's rare because nobody wanted one.
Agreed 100%. The most successful thing about the original NSX was the design language, it was absolutely iconic.

The new car captures nothing of the original in either mechanical concept or visual detail, has no clear design language of its own, and comes off looking incredibly derivative. It may be a very good car, but it's not destined for greatness.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Agreed 100%. The most successful thing about the original NSX was the design language, it was absolutely iconic.

The new car captures nothing of the original in either mechanical concept or visual detail, has no clear design language of its own, and comes off looking incredibly derivative. It may be a very good car, but it's not destined for greatness.
Actually, this price movement expert says the NSX is "a forgotten treasure." I wholeheartedly agree. It is rare in that it is so much more reliable than any other supercar.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Actually, this price movement expert says the NSX is "a forgotten treasure." I wholeheartedly agree. It is rare in that it is so much more reliable than any other supercar.
I mean ok, but reliability isn't the basis for a cult following. The original NSX isn't a 90's design icon because they were reliable. It's assumed to be at least reasonably reliable because it is a Honda.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I mean ok, but reliability isn't the basis for a cult following. The original NSX isn't a 90's design icon because they were reliable. It's assumed to be at least reasonably reliable because it is a Honda.
Yes, but reliability allows/encourages those who would normally not consider buying one, to join the "club". I'm sure this was true of many buyers of the Honda S2000 and original Supra turbos on a lower income scale.
I would love to have a McLaren 570S or GT but just can't stomach $10k repairs or an annual $5k maintenance bill without forgoing retirement. I really would not want to work for a car.