Air con known issue -no fix yet [EDIT: now with official fix]

PJS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why the tweak to the clutch bite point?
Was it too high or too low?
Didn't ask for the tweak, was in repones to me mentioning the parking brake was sticking on occasion. Biting point is now higher, feels more in the centre of the full range - before it felt quite low down.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Didn't ask for the tweak, was in repones to me mentioning the parking brake was sticking on occasion. Biting point is now higher, feels more in the centre of the full range - before it felt quite low down.
Thanks for that info, hope there is no dealer drama if others request this.

Reactions: PJS

Nick Sticks

Reaction score
On the test drive I had the bite point was low down, lower than I was used to, and of course I stalled it. After that I was ok but cautious, particularly at traffic lights where I did some quick starts!

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've made a video for my dealer of my intermittent issue:

Is this comparable to other people's issues?
Identical to mine before the HVAC fan resistor/control module was replaced. Known issue with water ingress - warranty fix but takes a couple of days due to the amount of front-end strip down needed to get at it……

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what the response is from my dealer. When they had it in for a few days they said they couldnt replicate it. I think their view was 'well, it comes on eventually so whats the problem'.

PJS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what the response is from my dealer. When they had it in for a few days they said they couldnt replicate it. I think their view was 'well, it comes on eventually so whats the problem'.
Very similar , apart from on long journeys I might get a blast of full on heat for a while ( but nothing in between). The new hvac works a treat , on reflection i dont think mine was right from the start

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All,

A note of warning on the HVAC fix, my Emira has been back in today as my AC system has started failing again, the dealer thought it would be as a result of not having the latest software update but this was applied and it was not.

Apparently I will need a new resistor unit fitting again, but here is the rub!! the reason behind this is that there is a modification to the resistor pack that Lotus are supposed to apply, my resistor pack was replaced on a like for like basis (i.e. same problem can re-occur) so if you are having the work done make sure that your dealer ensures that Lotus supply the modified resistor pack (Sorry but I don't know what the modification is)

So as I stand I am now going to be losing my car for another couple of days whilst this is resolved again!!! (Once Lotus approve the warranty claim)

Nick Sticks

Reaction score
Hi All,

A note of warning on the HVAC fix, my Emira has been back in today as my AC system has started failing again, the dealer thought it would be as a result of not having the latest software update but this was applied and it was not.

Apparently I will need a new resistor unit fitting again, but here is the rub!! the reason behind this is that there is a modification to the resistor pack that Lotus are supposed to apply, my resistor pack was replaced on a like for like basis (i.e. same problem can re-occur) so if you are having the work done make sure that your dealer ensures that Lotus supply the modified resistor pack (Sorry but I don't know what the modification is)

So as I stand I am now going to be losing my car for another couple of days whilst this is resolved again!!! (Once Lotus approve the warranty claim)
I'm sure I read that the resister pack was being encased in a waterproof covering like resin or something.

Reactions: ADC

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
there is a modification to the resistor pack that Lotus are supposed to apply
I had the same problem - water ingress. I got the almighty new and fixed pack which.... lasted about 13 hours. First rain and it was dead again. Somehow Lotus managed to make small holes/imperfections in the new waterproofed box and it needed to be replaced again. Works well now, but hasn't been in heavy rain since. We'll see how it goes :ROFLMAO:

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had the same problem - water ingress. I got the almighty new and fixed pack which.... lasted about 13 hours. First rain and it was dead again. Somehow Lotus managed to make small holes/imperfections in the new waterproofed box and it needed to be replaced again. Works well now, but hasn't been in heavy rain since. We'll see how it goes :ROFLMAO:
Mine is not a garage queen so is probably the reason why its failed again as well, its been outside getting rained on and is driven in the wet (When its working 🤣 )

Fingers crossed I get the sealed unit and this problem goes away and I can enjoy the car without any worries 🤞😊

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mines going in next week so we'll see how long it lasts. No word on the paint defects though despite it being nearly three months now.

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry to have to drag this thread up again but my AC as per earlier post has broken for a second time - no airflow at all again (apart from when you get in the car for the first time - it gives a mad blast)

Anyway was due in tomorrow for another resistor pack (The infamous Hedgehog) but I have been told that this is now not happening as Lotus are not issuing the Resistor pack currently as it need re-engineering again!

According to my local dealer the repairs to date have been with a like for like resistor and these are also failing hence the repair appears to be ineffective in some cases - unfortunately my repair was one of these (1st repair was on 6th Dec) unit started failing in early Jan and completely failed again in Feb 👿

Will update when I get a date for whatever the reengineered part is to be fitted 🙂

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry to have to drag this thread up again but my AC as per earlier post has broken for a second time - no airflow at all again (apart from when you get in the car for the first time - it gives a mad blast)

Anyway was due in tomorrow for another resistor pack (The infamous Hedgehog) but I have been told that this is now not happening as Lotus are not issuing the Resistor pack currently as it need re-engineering again!

According to my local dealer the repairs to date have been with a like for like resistor and these are also failing hence the repair appears to be ineffective in some cases - unfortunately my repair was one of these (1st repair was on 6th Dec) unit started failing in early Jan and completely failed again in Feb 👿

Will update when I get a date for whatever the reengineered part is to be fitted 🙂
I got one of the "re-engineered" ones and a spectacular 17 hours later it failed again. The new seal does not… well seal and you end up with the same problem. Since my box was completely replaced my dealer could reuse some parts from my old box and rebuild it frankenstein style and sealed it themselves. No issues since, maybe they should pass my design up for reference 😂

My ECU was also resealed by them after water damage. Still water tight after about 3/4 year.. Lotus really effed up the water resistance in this car.

Last edited:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Sounds like this is potentially a massive issue for Lotus. If all Emiras manufactured so far (must be several thousand by now?) have this badly engineered resistor pack which is prone to water ingress, then you would think they will all fail eventually 🤔 Even garage queens that are never driven in the rain get washed. That could add up to a lot of unhappy owners and millions in warranty costs given that it is such a major job to replace the part.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A bit sad given the "monsoon testing" facility that allegedly was used during Emira's development. :unsure:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A bit sad given the "monsoon testing" facility that allegedly was used during Emira's development. :unsure:
Yup, it makes you wonder, although even big manufacturers can have similar issues. I used to have an E91 BMW 3 series. The Touring versions of that generation of 3 series had the central locking transponder located in the tailgate spoiler, and it was a question of when not if it would fail due to water ingress. This wasn't properly fixed until years into the production run, which must have been well into 6 figures of cars made.

chipshopman

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My Emira was due in to Silverstone to replace the resistor pack next week (w/c 11th March '24). Got a call from Silverstone today saying that they had not been able to get hold of the part from Lotus so my booking was being shifted in to April when they hoped they might have the part. The "hope" part came from the fact that they went on to say that Lotus was no longer sending out any replacement parts and there was no date when the replacement parts would arrive. There was a view that this was potentially because they were re-engineering the part and there was no point in replacing the part when it would break again.

This is bonkers. A problem affecting most (eventually) Emiras that makes them undrivable except on a not too cold, hot, rainy day (not many of them in the UK!) when the fans aren't needed is not being addressed quickly and as a consequence leaving Emira drivers with, in essence, a nice looking brick.

I love my Emira, I'm fortunate I have another car I could drive this winter, but this waiting is really a wind-up. Come on Lotus, sort it out!

Has anyone taken it in to their own hands and got a 3rd party mechanic to take a look and try and solve it in the meantime? I guess that would invalidate the warranty, but might eleviate a considerable amount of anger and frustration!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My Emira was due in to Silverstone to replace the resistor pack next week (w/c 11th March '24). Got a call from Silverstone today saying that they had not been able to get hold of the part from Lotus so my booking was being shifted in to April when they hoped they might have the part. The "hope" part came from the fact that they went on to say that Lotus was no longer sending out any replacement parts and there was no date when the replacement parts would arrive. There was a view that this was potentially because they were re-engineering the part and there was no point in replacing the part when it would break again.

This is bonkers. A problem affecting most (eventually) Emiras that makes them undrivable except on a not too cold, hot, rainy day (not many of them in the UK!) when the fans aren't needed is not being addressed quickly and as a consequence leaving Emira drivers with, in essence, a nice looking brick.

I love my Emira, I'm fortunate I have another car I could drive this winter, but this waiting is really a wind-up. Come on Lotus, sort it out!

Has anyone taken it in to their own hands and got a 3rd party mechanic to take a look and try and solve it in the meantime? I guess that would invalidate the warranty, but might eleviate a considerable amount of anger and frustration!
I don't expect this would be a simple garage fix. They have to contact the OEM supplier, work out what the fix is going to be, re-negotiate the terms for credit/exchange, then wait for the OEM supplier to make the new parts in the quantities ordered by Lotus.

Obviously they're working on it. Hopefully this will be resolved as soon as possible.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Obviously they're working on it. … resolved as soon as possible.
IMG_2567.gif