• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

3rd Cat Delete

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
How good is your info on that?

I mean, anything can change, but I'd say as good as it gets. I've been told they are working on OEM upgraded parts (including exhaust) through the LAP division directly from workers. I've seen carbon molds for Emira parts as well.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Starting to think about upgrades, as I think the car isn't far away. I'm deciding between two 3rd cat deletes, the Milltek one and the the one from inokinetic. Anyone have any preferences or are they going to have very little between them?

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don’t think there is much science behind this part. It’s just a tube and the sound produced would be largely the same.

As long as the diameter is the same I think the only difference would be in material used and build quality.

Maybe a slight difference in volume depending on wall thickness? Even then, wouldn’t be much.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don’t think there is much science behind this part. It’s just a tube and the sound produced would be largely the same.

As long as the diameter is the same I think the only difference would be in material used and build quality.

Maybe a slight difference in volume depending on wall thickness? Even then, wouldn’t be much.
agreed

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Anyone with a 3rd cat delete tell me what/if warning lights were thrown up?
None at all in several months.

For anyone considering a full sports exhaust I would suggest trying a simple and relatively cheap decat with the standard silencer first. It makes a big difference to the sound and personally I certainly wouldn't want it any louder.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
None at all in several months.

For anyone considering a full sports exhaust I would suggest trying a simple and relatively cheap decat with the standard silencer first. It makes a big difference to the sound and personally I certainly wouldn't want it any louder.
I've got a back box mod and the valves fully open and wonder if cat delete would be too much 🤔

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is why I asked btw

Screenshot_20231120_135733_Samsung Internet.jpg

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah not sure why Milltek say that. The stock catted pipe has no sensors. It is downstream of the o2 probes.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I ordered the Milltek in anticipation of eventually getting the Emira. First mechanical change I’ll make when it arrives.

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anybody knows we’re the OPF is located? Is it located on/at the 3rd cat? What does the 3rd cat finally do?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Does anybody knows we’re the OPF is located? Is it located on/at the 3rd cat? What does the 3rd cat finally do?
There is no OPF, there is a primary catalytic converter located on each bank of the V6 coming off of the headers. Finally there is a secondary catalytic converter with no upstream or downstream oxygen sensors that Emira / Evora owners often call the "3rd cat".

1700522646521.png

2x Red = Primary Cats
1x Green = Third Cat

Blue is the downpipe which combines both bank's exhaust flow together and merges to a resonator and then to a single pipe that feeds into the 3rd cat. You can slightly see some of the sensors in this photo as well, there should be 4 oxygen sensors total, 2 in each primary cat, 2 after each primary cat.

Finally to address what the third cat does -- it reduces emissions -- something this aging drivetrain has trouble with.

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to hear one of the most glorious V12's I've ever heard, check this out at the 19 minute mark:

Watched this earlier too. Such a cool car! And yes, it sounds amazing. That 13k rev limit doesn't hurt. 😉

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There is no OPF, there is a primary catalytic converter located on each bank of the V6 coming off of the headers. Finally there is a secondary catalytic converter with no upstream or downstream oxygen sensors that Emira / Evora owners often call the "3rd cat".

View attachment 33570
2x Red = Primary Cats
1x Green = Third Cat

Blue is the downpipe which combines both bank's exhaust flow together and merges to a resonator and then to a single pipe that feeds into the 3rd cat. You can slightly see some of the sensors in this photo as well, there should be 4 oxygen sensors total, 2 in each primary cat, 2 after each primary cat.

Finally to address what the third cat does -- it reduces emissions -- something this aging drivetrain has trouble with.
Thank you😊