• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

3rd Cat Delete

nickorette

Reaction score
In the Evora S there was a redundant 3rd catalytic converter (needed for homologation in strict matkets) that could be swapped out for a straight pipe (lotus had a part actually), increasing the volume and richness to the exhaust note.

Does anyone know if the Emira has a similar system? Would love to be able to do the same thing again when the Emira comes in

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes the Emira has the same and it should be feasible to decat it, if your local noise and emissions testing regime allows it.

I expect people like Larini and 2bular to offer a straight pipe.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Would this void warranty?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very unlikely.

On my Evora, I bought the straight pipe from Larini and had my Lotus dealer fit it.

I suspect Lotus dealers will offer it as an approved modification on the Emira. There are other factory mods being developed too.

OP
N

nickorette

Reaction score
Very unlikely.

On my Evora, I bought the straight pipe from Larini and had my Lotus dealer fit it.

I suspect Lotus dealers will offer it as an approved modification on the Emira. There are other factory mods being developed too.
Other factory mods? Please do tell!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Exhaust upgrades, wings, carbon fibre bits etc. To be sold as aftermarket items via dealers. Not sure when they'll be launching them but guess sometime mid next year.

HeReigns

Reaction score
Do all the Emiras around the world now come with the 3rd cat? Is that was is strangling a little bit of the exhaust note compared to the Evora 410 or is there something else going on?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've also heard of a 50 bhp Lotus map on the V6
I’d heard that rumour too, but not been able to get any confirmation.

I’m not sure how they can get 50 bhp with just a map, given Komotec have been doing V6 upgrades for years and have only got to 435 before they need to do headers etc

I know Lotus have had the V6 running at 450 on the bench, but they weren’t happy with cooling and warranting it at that level. Will be good if they can do it.

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’d heard that rumour too, but not been able to get any confirmation.

I’m not sure how they can get 50 bhp with just a map, given Komotec have been doing V6 upgrades for years and have only got to 435 before they need to do headers etc

I know Lotus have had the V6 running at 450 on the bench, but they weren’t happy with cooling and warranting it at that level. Will be good if they can do it.
A friend of mine's mate is a Lotus engineer and he is currently running an Emira as a daily with the map on. Obvs I only have my friend's word on this but I have no reason to doubt him!

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Exhaust upgrades, wings, carbon fibre bits etc. To be sold as aftermarket items via dealers. Not sure when they'll be launching them but guess sometime mid next year.
I don’t know why everyone is so worried about warranty. By the time these parts are available for purchase our cars will be out of warranty anyway. :LOL:

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
A friend of mine's mate is a Lotus engineer and he is currently running an Emira as a daily with the map on. Obvs I only have my friend's word on this but I have no reason to doubt him!

Probably testing for a Final Edition. I don’t see Lotus offering a 50hp map as an option.

Random thought - I don’t get why this has to be Lotus’s last Ice car. The platform obviously still has some legs, is profitable and I don’t see the electric cars cannibalising V6 Manual sales.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Probably testing for a Final Edition. I don’t see Lotus offering a 50hp map as an option.

Random thought - I don’t get why this has to be Lotus’s last Ice car. The platform obviously still has some legs, is profitable and I don’t see the electric cars cannibalising V6 Manual sales.

Because Europe and California are passing laws to stop production of ICE cars.

Edit: I was trying to be sarcastic with my post but it was uncalled for. I apologize.

Last edited:

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Because Europe and California are passing laws to stop production of ICE cars.

I’ve read about that but other sports car manufacturers are still making and developing cars far out into the future. What’s different about Lotus?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
HQ in UK, where sale of ICE cars will be banned from 2030 (although may get revised) and a parent company that has a strategy of fully switching to EVs.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Any pics of the 3rd cat?

I haven't officially seen it on the Emira, but it'll be similar to the Evora (though the Emira has a dual exit exhaust). Looks like a very easy swap.

cat-delete-1c-jpg.1310286

img_4814b-jpg.1310292

More pics and info in this thread. And here's the GRP delete pipe.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
No problems passing DE emissions ?

Nah, shouldn't be an issue. There's no o2 sensor in that 3rd cat, so there won't be a CEL and they won't do a sniffer test since it's OBD2. Can't visually check it either since the undertray covers everything. 😉

I passed DMV with a catless turboback exhaust on both my STIs. You're fine as long as you code out the CEL.

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
PPF, third cat delete, change the nose and wheel Lotus badges over to the black ones (Hethel Yellow car with full black pack).

Do you have an idea of how much it cost and where you will be getting 3rd car delete done Tom? I’m Surrey based, so hoping I can maybe use a few of your contacts…..