• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Custom MagSafe Wireless Charger

silent cilantro

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A few people have been asking if I would make wireless charging kits available for purchase. I figured I'd start a thread to gauge interest.

It consists of a 3D printed tray (in PETG) upholstered in Alcantara with a built-in Apple MagSafe Charger that replaces the OEM rubber mat in the center console (Or equivalent charger for Android phones). It also uses a standalone USB power supply that provides enough power to effectively charge the phone (the usb-c port under the center console does not which causes the phone to charge very slowly). Power is fed via an unused OEM 12v power source behind the glovebox, no splicing needed.

Now, it is not inexpensive so I understand this is not everyone. Price would be $285 shipped via Zelle, PayPal friends and family or Venmo (Add $40 shipping to Canada, you are responsible for import duties)

I would need a minimum of 10 people and a 50% deposit. Lead time would be 4-6 weeks (realistically probably less but I rather underpromise and overdeliver)

You will get:
  • 3D printed tray upholstered in genuine Alcantara.
  • Authentic Apple MagSafe Charger (Or equivalent charger for Android phones).
  • Wiring harness with plug-and-play connectors (uses factory harness behind glovebox).
  • Dual port (1x USB-C, 1x USB-A) power supply.
  • Installation instructions.
Chime in if you are interested. I won't take deposits or start the clock until I fill all 10 spots.

IMG_4234.jpeg

IMG_3915.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_4246.jpeg

IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_4567 (1).jpeg

img_2897-jpeg.38920

Installation instructions:

F.A.Q

Will my iPhone [X] work with this?

Yes, all MagSafe enabled iPhones will work.

Will my Android phone work with this?
I currently have versions for the Pixel 8 and Galaxy S23/24 Ultra phones. However, I can modify the tray to fit most phones. Also keep in mind the tray relies on a magnetic connection to hold the phone. If yours doesn’t have magnets then the phone will more than likely slide out of alignment and fail to charge.

Will this work with my case?
It depends. All my testing was done with no case as I can't account for all the different variations out there. If the case is not MagSafe compatible your phone will either not charge or not be held in place by the MagSafe puck built into the tray. Case thickness also affects charge rates. If you are having issues (high temps, slow charging) please remove the phone from the case, let it cool down and try again.

How fast does it charge?
The power supply will provide the charger the necessary [email protected] for 20W charging. This doesn't mean your phone will charge at this rate all the time though (or even most of the time). Factors such as phone temperature and load play a big role in determining charging speeds. iOS constantly adjusts how much power the phone gets and will sometimes even stop charging altogether if certain criteria is met. Most commonly, high temperature. Inductive charging generates heat, the phone will protect itself and stop charging if temps get too high. This is a common issue with wireless chargers and this kit is not immune to it.

My phone is not charging, what's up with that?
As mentioned above, there will be instances where iOS will pause charging due to temperature. This is normal. Go to Settings>Battery and look above the graph, it will tell you the max battery percentage reached before charging was paused. Once again, wireless charging inherently generates heat, add that to the heat generated by the phone's processors while running multiple apps (GPS, music streaming, etc) and it will result in slower charging rates. Wireless charging is tricky and it will never be as fast as wired, but I feel like a car with wireless Apple CarPlay should have the option of wireless charging. I still keep a cable for those moments I need to charge faster. (Top Tip: Connect it to the spare USB-A port in the power supply included in the kit and your phone will charge even faster than when connected to the car's onboard USB)

Why do I need a dedicated power supply? Can't I just connect it to the USB port in the car?
Based on my testing, the USB port in the car provides only 5V@2A to the MagSafe charger. This means the max you can get out of it under ideal conditions is 10W. Several people have reported having issues when using these ports so your mileage will vary.

Can I use the power supply to power/charge something else?
The Electronic Toll Collector we repurposed is fused at 5amps so the max power draw before you potentially blow that fuse is 60W. The power supply we are using is rated at 60W from the USB-C port and 18W from the USB-A port for a combined 78W.
● 60 Watts USB C PD (5V/3A, 9V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/3A)(PPS 5.0~5.9V/3A, PPS 3.3~20V/3A)
● 18WattsUSBAQC3.0(9V2A,6V3A)
● 78 Watts Peak Total Combined Power Output (75 Watts Nominal Total
Combined Output)
The MagSafe wireless charger will draw a maximum of 20W so feel free to use the remaining USB-A port in the power supply to power another accessory. But if you want to use the USB- C port to charge or power a device that draws 60W then do not use the USB-A port at the same time as you will risk blowing the fuse.

Do I need to cut, tap or splice anything in order to install the power supply?
No, I will provide a harness that will plug into an existing connector behind the glovebox. This connector provides Ground, ACC and BATT. The latter is not used but I extended it anyway in case anybody wants to repurpose the harness to power something else. (Harness is long enough to be routed down to the passenger side footwell where the fuse box is)

Why is the back of the tray is not wrapped? It looks ugly.
The underside of the tray is not covered in Alcantara . It is common for the areas behind panels to not be upholstered. Doing so is a waste of material. All your OEM panels are wrapped in the same manner. I made sure to wrap around enough past the edges to ensure full coverage of the visible areas and to minimize any lifting. I also didn't want to put more material under the charging puck as this will make it more likely to hold heat. Rest assured that all visible areas will be free of imperfections.

Where do you ship?
At the moment I am only shipping to continental US + Canada for an additional $40. Please keep in mind you will be responsible for import duties.

What methods of payment do you accept?
Payment can be made via PayPal friends and family, Zelle, Venmo or wire transfer. I will provide instructions in a PM when an order is placed.

Last edited:
Where are you terminating the USB to on the last pic? I am opting to do an arm mount with a magsafe charger, which will work pretty easily with no modifications to the car. Will start another thread when I get the car and have it setup.

Can you elaborate on what is involved in making the connection in the glove compartment? How complicated is it?
There is an unused connector behind the glovebox, in other markets it is usually used for electronic toll collection devices. It provides ground, 12v BAT and 12v ACC power. See this post for reference.

In order to get to the connector you have to remove the glovebox. It is pretty simple to do, just some trim and 6 screws. I will provide the necessary harness for people connect the usb power supply directly to this connector so no splicing or tapping needed.

Where are you terminating the USB to on the last pic? I am opting to do an arm mount with a magsafe charger, which will work pretty easily with no modifications to the car. Will start another thread when I get the car and have it setup.

The white USB cable is the MagSafe charger. The other cable leads to the connector behind the glovebox I mentioned above.

Last edited:
I'm interested in getting on your list, but I think there may be a physical fitment limitation for those without iPhones.

Could you make the "notch" for the camera bump wider? I have a Pixel 8 and the bar goes full width. Seems like with more clearance across, you could support many different phone types with the same design, and rely on the Magsafe to locate the phone firmly.

I'm interested in getting on your list, but I think there may be a physical fitment limitation for those without iPhones.

Could you make the "notch" for the camera bump wider? I have a Pixel 8 and the bar goes full width. Seems like with more clearance across, you could support many different phone types with the same design, and rely on the Magsafe to locate the phone firmly.

Like this?

IMG_3340.jpeg

If so, yeah I can totally do that for you. I like the more fitted notch because it (in combination with the magnet) helps the phone stay in place a little better.

Like this?

View attachment 40189

If so, yeah I can totally do that for you. I like the more fitted notch because it (in combination with the magnet) helps the phone stay in place a little better.
Yes! Exactly. Just needs to be the width of the phone. In my case, 2.79 in (71 mm).

I've got an S24 ultra, any idea if the camera slot is a similar size to the iPhones?

I will verify compatibility with mini and max models, pretty sure it will work.

Not sure about the S24 Ultra though. That may require some modification because of its vertical camera stack.

Last edited:
@silent cilantro Did you check your charging well on various phones? I just put a 3A dc-dc on and it still not charging my iphone SE. It shows the lightning bolt but didn't move a percent after 30 minutes. I am assuming its the adapter I'm using, the movement of the car, or the distance from the charger to the phone.. not sure whats up.