• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Custom MagSafe Wireless Charger

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If you play with it, you may find it does. It still works in all orientations, but I noticed that the offset distance the phone can connect at changes, implying that some orientations are stronger than others. What I basically did was stack up paper at the max detection range, then rotated to play around.

gdotp

Reaction score
The power supply he's using for this is the nice ruggedized USB-C one that I posted in a prior thread. Plenty of overhead for the application and he has it mounted to the bulkhead.

View attachment 40290
Is this available in the U.K.? I’ve tried coolgears us site directly and it won’t ship to the us unless I provide an “optional” dhl account number….which I do t have

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is this available in the U.K.? I’ve tried coolgears us site directly and it won’t ship to the us unless I provide an “optional” dhl account number….which I do t have
You should email Coolgear directly, they can probably accommodate you but you wouldn't likely be able to order through e-commerce. Automation eliminates a lot of edge cases, but humans can often help.

gdotp

Reaction score
You should email Coolgear directly, they can probably accommodate you but you wouldn't likely be able to order through e-commerce. Automation eliminates a lot of edge cases, but humans can often help.
Thanks. I think I’ll try this out from Amazon U.K. I can put a usb c pigtail on it and I think it should do the same job.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpeg
    IMG_0968.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks. I think I’ll try this out from Amazon U.K. I can put a usb c pigtail on it and I think it should do the same job.
That is absolutely not the same thing. USB-C requires a full digital handshake in order to choose what voltage and current to supply, it's not a direct-attach voltage supply.

gdotp

Reaction score
That is absolutely not the same thing. USB-C requires a full digital handshake in order to choose what voltage and current to supply, it's not a direct-attach voltage supply.
Ok thanks. How about this? This is usb output and I could pint up my own enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 9

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ok thanks. How about this? This is usb output and I could pint up my own enclosure.
Yes, that's much more reasonable. Needs a USB chipset to do the handshake, that one is QC so not a USB-C multi-voltage style but still reasonable. Should work for most QC support Qi induction chargers, just make sure the one you're using supports QC input.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Been busy with work but I got an update. I think we can get this batch started with 9 people.

Printed some cases for Mini and Max model iPhones to test. I also did some testing to get more accurate charging rates. Here is what I found:

• After a couple of tweaks, the charging mat is compatible with Max and Mini models with and without a case.

• I can confirm the power supply is able to provide the ~ 9V @ 2.22A the MagSafe charger requires.

• I noticed charging rate greatly varies with phone temperature, current state of charge, background tasks, type of case used etc. Basically we can expect to see anywhere from 6W to 20W while charging. Unfortunately I have no control over this as it's controlled by iOS. This means there could be times where the phone is just too hot to charge. This is normal behavior and not exclusive to this solution. This is the reason some OEMs have started adding active cooling to wireless charging pads.

• All my power testing was done WITHOUT a case.

• Fitment was tested with what I consider average sized cases. If you have one of those rugged oversized cases with a Max sized phone you may have issues with fitment.

• Non MagSafe compatible cases WILL reduce charge rate. This is true for any wireless charger.

With all that being said. Here are more pictures:

Normal Size iPhone, no case:
IMG_3930.jpeg
IMG_3931.jpeg

Normal Size iPhone, with case:
IMG_3932.jpeg
IMG_3933.jpeg

Pro Max iPhone, no case:
IMG_3934.jpeg
IMG_3940.jpeg
IMG_3935.jpeg

Pro Max Case:
IMG_3936.jpeg
IMG_3938.jpeg
IMG_3939.jpeg

Last edited:

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Been busy with work but I got an update. I think we can get this batch started with 9 people.

Printed some cases for Mini and Max model iPhones to test. I also did some testing to get more accurate charging rates. Here is what I found:

• After a couple of tweaks, the charging mat is compatible with Max and Mini models with and without a case.

• I can confirm the power supply is providing the necessary max of 9V 2A of power to the MagSafe charger.

• I noticed charging rate greatly varies with phone temperature, current state of charge, background tasks, type of case used etc. Basically we can expect to see anywhere from 6A to 20A while charging. Unfortunately I have no control over this as it's controlled by iOS. This means there could be times where the phone is just too hot to charge. This is normal behavior and not exclusive to this solution. This is the reason some OEMs have started adding active cooled to wireless charging pads.

• All my power testing was done WITHOUT a case.

• Fitment was tested with what I consider average sized cases. If you have one of those rugged oversized cases with a Max sized phone you may have issues with fitment.

• Non MagSafe compatible cases WILL reduce charge rate. This is true for any wirelss charger.

With all that being said. Here are more pictures:

Normal Size iPhone, no case:
View attachment 42519View attachment 42520

Normal Size iPhone, with case:

View attachment 42521View attachment 42522

Pro Max iPhone, no case:

View attachment 42523View attachment 42524

Pro Max Case:

View attachment 42525View attachment 42526View attachment 42527View attachment 42528

If I weren't a year away from getting my Emira, I'd be right on board. This looks really good and thank you for the testing!

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
..continued, more pics:

iPhone mini case:

IMG_3941.jpeg

IMG_3942.jpeg

IMG_3943.jpeg

Finished tray:

IMG_3955.jpeg
IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3922.jpeg

IMG_3923.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Power Testing:

Cold phone right after boot with 20% battery:

IMG_3915.jpeg

turned screen to full brightness and started recording a long video with flash on to warm up the phone. SOC was also 20%. A warm phone resulted in lowered rates of just 6-7W
IMG_3904.jpeg

Last edited:

T6061

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Please add me to your first batch if it's not too late! Many thanks. Happy to send funds via PayPal if that works.

Last edited:

Emira604

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Would totally be in for one, too bad I’m going for an i4 which won’t be here until 2025 🥲