• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Custom MagSafe Wireless Charger

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve only tested with an iPhone 14, 14 pro and 15 pro so far but no reason why it wouldn’t work with any other MagSafe compatible phones.

What power converter are you using?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@silent cilantro Did you check your charging well on various phones? I just put a 3A dc-dc on and it still not charging my iphone SE. It shows the lightning bolt but didn't move a percent after 30 minutes. I am assuming its the adapter I'm using, the movement of the car, or the distance from the charger to the phone.. not sure whats up.
The power supply he's using for this is the nice ruggedized USB-C one that I posted in a prior thread. Plenty of overhead for the application and he has it mounted to the bulkhead.

1000032400.jpg

Last edited:

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The power supply he's using for this is the nice ruggedized USB-C one that I posted in a prior thread. Plenty of overhead for the application and he has it mounted to the bulkhead.

View attachment 40290
Yes I know, I actually ordered the 100w version, but there is some voodoo going on and I was wondering if he saw the same as he mentioned he was likely changing power supplies. I suppose its possible I got a bum charger?! I'll figure it out.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah no I didn’t see issues, my phone charged normally.

Car is out getting PPF but I’ll have it back this week. I’ll hook up a usb power tester and post results.

I mentioned I might change the power supply for something smaller, not because the one I got wasn’t working 😅

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve only tested with an iPhone 14, 14 pro and 15 pro so far but no reason why it wouldn’t work with any other MagSafe compatible phones.

What power converter are you using?
I tried the onboard usb-c jack which didnt work (well known, I just didnt), and then I tried a chineseum 3a 2xusbA dc-dc which I've used for many applications in the past. I used a usbA to usbC adapter, that MIGHT be the culprit, but I did bench test that adapter before installing. I cant find the exact model, but these are all likely made in the same plant.. there are lots of varieties of them.
41tItP5PvOL._MCnd_AC_.jpg

I mentioned I might change the power supply for something smaller, not because the one I got wasn’t working 😅
ah ok. :) There is a lot of room back there. I read that the converter you used gets pretty hot - good we have a big aluminum bulkhead/heatsink there.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Gotcha.

Haven’t had heat issues. At 15W the converter is barely breaking a sweat. I’m sure it will get warm if you try to charge something with a larger draw like a laptop.

Do you have a case on your phone? Is your tray upholstered?

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes I know, I actually ordered the 100w version, but there is some voodoo going on and I was wondering if he saw the same as he mentioned he was likely changing power supplies. I suppose its possible I got a bum charger?! I'll figure it out.
You don't need anywhere near that kind of wattage unless you are directly charging a laptop. Even the one that we were using from Coolgear is overkill. Generally speaking in a car you want the lowest wattage that will work well, to keep the inrush current to a manageable level during startup and the overall draw minimized.

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You don't need anywhere near that kind of wattage unless you are directly charging a laptop. Even the one that we were using from Coolgear is overkill. Generally speaking in a car you want the lowest wattage that will work well, to keep the inrush current to a manageable level during startup and the overall draw minimized.
Yes this is why I'm confused. In theory the one I have should be overkill at 3A. I think the max it should pull would be under 2A.
Gotcha.

Haven’t had heat issues. At 15W the converter is barely breaking a sweat. I’m sure it will get warm if you try to charge something with a larger draw like a laptop.

Do you have a case on your phone? Is your tray upholstered?
I do have a 1.5mm case and a 2mm space on the 3d print, but 3.5mm should be well within the range for a magsafe. I did try it without the case as well.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes this is why I'm confused. In theory the one I have should be overkill at 3A. I think the max it should pull would be under 2A.

I do have a 1.5mm case and a 2mm space on the 3d print, but 3.5mm should be well within the range for a magsafe. I did try it without the case as well.
Didn't you say you bought a 100W power supply? How would it be under 3A?

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Didn't you say you bought a 100W power supply? How would it be under 3A?
The one currently in the car is 3a like the one pictured above. I ordered the 100w, coming Monday. I ordered three other mag charges as well, maybe my apple one is either bum, or has such strict requirements/protocols for power, it just fails or errors out.. Some voodoo is going on. Technically, my setup should be overengineered! The worst part is I have to take the dash apart again. It wasnt the worst dash I've taken apart, but man those two screws on the bottom were a pita.. also the side cover was tricky.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m not in the market for this, but I think it’s awesome you’re offering to do this. I hope you sell a bunch.
I appreciate that 🫱🏼‍🫲🏽

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
V1.1 is printing.

-Raised sides so OEM glue doesn't show
-Adjusted positioning of camera stack cutout
-Better cable routing channel
-Added a thin layer for the puck to sit so we don't have to rely on tape to hold it

1712071695635.png

About compatibility:

This is built around an iPhone 15 Pro with a MagSafe case. I am printing cases for the MINI and MAX versions so I can double check compatibility but I am pretty sure they will fit. Whatever case you use HAS to be MagSafe/wireless charging compatible, otherwise your phone may not charge properly. This is true for ALL wireless chargers, not just this design.

Note that the MAX models are pretty big, the bottom of the phone with a case already hangs out a few mm out of the stock rubber tray so anticipate fitment will be the same with this charger tray. Not much I can do about that as that cubby area is pretty small to begin with.

I am also working on a Pixel 8 version.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
V1.1 is printing.

-Added a thin layer for the puck to sit so we don't have to rely on tape to hold it

View attachment 40406

About compatibility:

This is built around an iPhone 15 Pro with a MagSafe case. I am printing cases for the MINI and MAX versions so I can double check compatibility but I am pretty sure they will fit. Whatever case you use HAS to be MagSafe/wireless charging compatible, otherwise your phone may not charge properly. This is true for ALL wireless chargers, not just this design.

Note that the MAX models are pretty big, the bottom of the phone with a case already hangs out a few mm out of the stock rubber tray so anticipate fitment will be the same with this charger tray. Not much I can do about that as that cubby area is pretty small to begin with.

Nice job 👍

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
V1.1 is printing.

View attachment 40406

About compatibility:

Thats funny, I just got done modding mine too. I did the same thing - put the pad on top and added an aread below to hold it. I made one other change though - a slit so you can take the puck in and out without having to remove the dash.. just in case it breaks etc.

As a follow up, I had made an error in my model. I had a reference which moved and the pad was no longer directly centered on the phone, it was 1/4" off. Thats why it was showing the lightning bolt but not charging.. misalignment. Also, I noticed that the orientation of the puck seems to matter, it likes the wire coming out the bottom or top, not at an angle.. I'm not sure why this is because its just a loop inside, but I did enough testing to confirm that voodoo. I added a coil wrap and catch area underneath too.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Also, I noticed that the orientation of the puck seems to matter, it likes the wire coming out the bottom or top, not at an angle.. I'm not sure why this is because its just a loop inside, but I did enough testing to confirm that voodoo

If that was the case the phone wouldn’t charge while on nightstand mode. Puck orientation in relation to the phone doesn’t matter.

Last edited: