• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Will a single garage house the Emira?

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
First World problems I know, but due to a house move this year there is the risk that i go from a current double garage to a potential single garage,which is not ideal I know Unfortunately most houses nowadays have these silly little pointless garages.

I highly doubt it, but does anyone believe a single garage size could fit a Lotus Emira?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you're from the UK then the question is straight forward and simple, standard single garage sizes,can you actually get out once the car is in?

As I clearly articulated I'm going from a double garage which is easy to pote tially a single which I haven't had before,so how is that irrational to ask that??
Carbuilder makes a reasonable point (in a slightly heavy-handed way). It does depend on the dimensions. There isn't a standard size for a single garage. I know there's a commonly-used size for the door and door opening but even that isn't standard and can be 7' (most common) or 7'6" or 8'. The interior dimensions can vary too.

My Evora will in theory fit through my single door opening with the mirrors out, but it only leaves about 1cm each side so I usually fold them to drive through. Internally I'm lucky one side of my garage is wider, so I can open the door enough to get out. There isn't enough room on the other side, so my passenger has to get out before I drive into the garage.

The Emira is slightly wider and longer than an Evora:
Evora Emira
Length 4361 4413
Width (full) 2047 2092
Width (folded) 1848 1895
Height 1229 1226

The Emira will be easier to get in and out of than an Evora, as the sills are narrower.

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Carbuilder makes a reasonable point (in a slightly heavy-handed way). It does depend on the dimensions. There isn't a standard size for a single garage. I know there's a commonly-used size for the door and door opening but even that isn't standard and can be 7' (most common) or 7'6" or 8'. The interior dimensions can vary too.

My Evora will in theory fit through my single door opening with the mirrors out, but it only leaves about 1cm each side so I usually fold them to drive through. Internally I'm lucky one side of my garage is wider, so I can open the door enough to get out. There isn't enough room on the other side, so my passenger has to get out before I drive into the garage.

Evora Emira
Length 4361 4413
Width (full) 2047 2092
Width (folded) 1848 1895
Height 1229 1226

The Emira will be easier to get in and out of than an Evora, as the sills are narrower.
Now this is a much more constructive answer,thank you , Tom

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it will be a case of phoning some carport companies, plenty of time to get one installed before the beast arrives

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The UK house builders honest garage guide ------->
Single garage: Never going to contain a car. Will contain junk for the garden plus bikes, stuff you can't be arsed to put in the loft.
Double garage:: Enough room for one car but more likely to be full of crap that you know you should throw away, plus some shelving, bikes and possibly an extra freezer.
Triple garage: Car heaven and as rare as unicorns

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
First World problems I know, but due to a house move this year there is the risk that i go from a current double garage to a potential single garage,which is not ideal I know Unfortunately most houses nowadays have these silly little pointless garages.

I highly doubt it, but does anyone believe a single garage size could fit a Lotus Emira?
i suggest cutting the car in half and putting it in two garages.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
When I first got my M2 Comp delivered, I was living in Connecticut with a single garage.

I hated it because I had to stick my head out the window during the approach, and slowly creep into the garage space to make sure I was well aligned.

Once parked, I had to use my contortionist abilities to get out, because the door could only be opened to a tiny sliver; I had to simultaneously hold the door to make sure it didn't hit the concrete wall while sliding sideways out the door.

Now that have a house with a double garage, I park in the center and can swing my door wide open and get out like a normal person.

Seriously, what were people thinking 50-60 years ago making garages that small. It's not like cars were THAT tiny back then, the cars from the 70's were straight up the size of yachts. o_O

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
When I first got my M2 Comp delivered, I was living in Connecticut with a single garage.

I hated it because I had to stick my head out the window during the approach, and slowly creep into the garage space to make sure I was well aligned.

Once parked, I had to use my contortionist abilities to get out, because the door could only be opened to a tiny sliver; I had to simultaneously hold the door to make sure it didn't hit the concrete wall while sliding sideways out the door.

Now that have a house with a double garage, I park in the center and can swing my door wide open and get out like a normal person.

Seriously, what were people thinking 50-60 years ago making garages that small. It's not like cars were THAT tiny back then, the cars from the 70's were straight up the size of yachts. o_O
most were built just to rip off the people coming home from WWII and Korea. unusable lots of things they built back then. So many on long island are like that, fully useless garages that you cannot open a door inside of one.

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Evora Emira
Length 4361 4413
Width (full) 2047 2092
Width (folded) 1848 1895
Height 1229 1226

Evora Emira
Length 4361 4413
Width (full) 2047 2092
Width (folded) 1848 1895
Height 1229 1226

Old subject I know Tom, but been searching the forum for any info as we have just moved and I’ve measured the single garage and it’s going to be very tight.

Are you planning on using your single garage for the Emira?

My garage dimensions are as below:

Garage door width: 2140mm
Internal width: 2920mm

According to the Emira measurements with mirrors up it’s 1892, which leaves 248mm or 124mm each side.

Once in, I’ll have 514mm each side to get out.

As the entrance is so tight, I don’t think I’ll be able to drive in at an angle to give me more room to get out on one side.

Just wondering, given you use a single for the Evora if you think this will be possible with the Emira or am I dreaming.

Cheers

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think you'll be fine. Your garage door width is bigger than mine (214 versus my 209) and I manage to drive my Evora in slightly over to the left.

My garage is wider on the right than the left, which helps. I haven't measured it (it's about 2 bricks, maybe 40cm?) but I've got my road bike against the wall on the driver's side too and can still get my door open enough to get out easily. The sills on the Emira are narrower than the S1 Evora, so you shouldn't need to open the door so much to get your feet over.

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. Your garage door width is bigger than mine (214 versus my 209) and I manage to drive my Evora in slightly over to the left.

My garage is wider on the right than the left, which helps. I haven't measured it (it's about 2 bricks, maybe 40cm?) but I've got my road bike against the wall on the driver's side too and can still get my door open enough to get out easily. The sills on the Emira are narrower than the S1 Evora, so you shouldn't need to open the door so much to get your feet over.
Brilliant thanks Tom, heres hoping 🤞🏻