• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Who has actually had issues with the Emira?

Who has had issues with their Emira?

• Total voters

gusgus12

Reaction score
Let's make a list, shall we? Car has been with one or more faults since it arrived.
Minor:
  • Hill assist error (fixed by software update)
  • SOS error (seems to have fixed itself)
  • Had the cold start issue where the car stalled on its own (fixed by a software update)
  • Apparently, my brake calibers have been recalled
  • Car came with the front bumper loose; dealer sorted it out
Major:
  • My windshield cracked right where the rear-view mirror is. Doesn't look like rock damage, most likely a fault although I don't expect it to be replaced under warranty
  • Still haven't received my replacement brake calibers, 9 months after receiving the car. Kinda forced to baby it so only has 2.8k km on it. By the time the car is fixed it will prob be out of warranty
  • Car started making a weird chirping noise 3 months ago (see video). My dealer is still waiting for Lotus to find parts to fix it.
The sad part is the car itself is pretty awesome, just hard to enjoy when you spent this much money and time waiting for it and its non-stop issues... I didn't want to say this, was hoping for Lotus to redeem itself but should've bought a Cayman.

Attachments

• IMG20240303204229.jpg
    IMG20240303204229.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 0-02-05-6e096a08848b2c043d7cd90cfa4f840872e4e24147d37902a9cc96ae5b7f6715_d28654dbfdecd171 (2).mp4
    10.3 MB

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am coming up to 1 years ownership and have numerous problems:

- Wiper issue fixed speed would not change, fixed on recall
- Hill start and electronic handbrake issues, resolved with software
- inconsistent AC cooling in summer, gas topped up initially resolved
- Brake service warning - stop immediately fault, it reset itself????
- Traction control fault light - believe was resolved with a software update a week later
- Lump cold start - was resolved via software update
- HVAC resistor failure, had to wait 6 weeks for replacement with no working AC or Fan
- SOS system failure - Software update resolved
- Car failed to start - AA call out, battery disconnect reset it then off to Lotus for another software update
- HVAC resistor failure again - Lotus not issuing part so still broken - been waiting 4 weeks

There were other warning lights throughout the year but I think nothing major

Love the car but now starting to feel its an expensive drive ornament and that I would be better off using the Esprit to fulfill my Lotus buzz and look for an alternative car for everyday sportscar fun!

gusgus12

Reaction score
I think the least Lotus needs to do in these cases is extend our warranty (should be 2 years from the time your car is actually fault-free). I am spending the warranty period doing quality control for Lotus; not a nice feeling for a customer. Not even going to mention the experience you would get from competitors...

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the least Lotus needs to do in these cases is extend our warranty (should be 2 years from the time your car is actually fault-free). I am spending the warranty period doing quality control for Lotus; not a nice feeling for a customer. Not even going to mention the experience you would get from competitors...
It is interesting to see that the poll is currently showing that only 1 in 4 owners have not had a problem, that is surprising and would support your view on early adopters basically beta testing the car 😮

OP
B

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is FE edition and what is expected from an FE model… (which is why some folks do not want to get an FE). I don’t see this any different than Ford or Kia etc having some issues and recalling calls left and right. It happens. Even with lotus track record with the Evora they took more than 10 years to get it down right and even STILL there were issues that plagued the Evora (Eg electrical issues, cracking headlights et ). Sure, they got better with time but if you are expecting a 100% perfect car with no issues at all lotus is not the brand for you I’m afraid.

When you talk about the big dogs like Porsche with their engine problems I am sure if lotus had Porsche money they would offer a 10 year warranty too but at some point is roll the dice and play to win

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Owned a Lotus Esprit for 15 years with only 1 issue, owned plenty of cars from new only one of my jags had a couple of problems. Hell I even own a Range Rover and that touch wood has been trouble free.

We cannot accept faults "Because its a Lotus", they sold the aspiration of competing with Porsche and the experience for me is a far cry from there!

I could accept some minor issues if the customer service was up to the task, but lets be honest the support from Lotus has been appalling to say the least.

gusgus12

Reaction score
This is FE edition and what is expected from an FE model… (which is why some folks do not want to get an FE). I don’t see this any different than Ford or Kia etc having some issues and recalling calls left and right. It happens. Even with lotus track record with the Evora they took more than 10 years to get it down right and even STILL there were issues that plagued the Evora (Eg electrical issues, cracking headlights et ). Sure, they got better with time but if you are expecting a 100% perfect car with no issues at all lotus is not the brand for you I’m afraid.

When you talk about the big dogs like Porsche with their engine problems I am sure if lotus had Porsche money they would offer a 10 year warranty too but at some point is roll the dice and play to win
Huge difference between 100% and my situation but to each their own.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Damn - 75% of people have issues with their car? At this point, I'm expecting to spend the 1st year sorting out all the issues before warranty runs out. Then hopefully the car can be relatively reliable. Except for rain of course.