• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION White spotting on v6 supercharger.

PhilJ

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I’ve recently noticed some white spotting on my supercharger - looks like dried-up water droplets. Not actually sure what is causing it, tried to wipe off a few times with a damp cloth but they keep reappearing! Anyone else encountered this?

Cheers.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's aluminum oxidation. Normal for uncoated aluminum surfaces. It's reacting with humidity.

You can eliminate it and prevent it with a product like ACF-50. Lasts between 6 and 12 months, depending on how wet it gets. They use it on aircraft to prevent airframe corrosion.

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_202417554.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240419_202417554.MP.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 25

GlobalPilot777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi Folks,

I’ve recently noticed some white spotting on my supercharger - looks like dried-up water droplets. Not actually sure what is causing it, tried to wipe off a few times with a damp cloth but they keep reappearing! Anyone else encountered this?

Cheers.
I have exactly the same.. and not just the engine cover, it drips down to the plastic surrounding and see it ingresses.. tried cleaning it with so many products and it keeps reappearing :s it looks really bad.. and I think the cleaning products I have used made it worse on the plastic surrounding. Will share a picture tomorrow.

OP
P

PhilJ

Reaction score
It's aluminum oxidation. Normal for uncoated aluminum surfaces. It's reacting with humidity.

You can eliminate it and prevent it with a product like ACF-50. Lasts between 6 and 12 months, depending on how wet it gets. They use it on aircraft to prevent airframe corrosion.
Thank you 🙏

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have exactly the same.. and not just the engine cover, it drips down to the plastic surrounding and see it ingresses.. tried cleaning it with so many products and it keeps reappearing :s it looks really bad.. and I think the cleaning products I have used made it worse on the plastic surrounding. Will share a picture tomorrow.
Yep most cleaning products will just move the oxidation around, rather than neutralizing it. You need something specific to aluminum, like Lear ACF-50 or CorrosionX. The Lear stuff smells better, FYI.

Vampyre

Reaction score

This is what I treat my engine bay with.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So what do we do, just spray this on everything under the hood?

Vampyre

Reaction score
So what do we do, just spray this on everything under the hood?
The way I use it, I spray some on any exposed metal in the engine bay and wire connectors on the engine (No belts) and then wipe down with a rag. When you drive the first time you will have a slight chemical smell when you exit the car. No smell inside.

There are a few youtube type videos on the use and application.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI they sell this in 50 gallon drums and have these crazy sprayer rigs that coat the inside of airplane wings with it. It's a very common process in most aluminum-intensive fields like that.

GlobalPilot777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is how awful it looks.. and nothing helps getting rid of the spots on the engine bay and plastic surroundings.

IMG_3044.jpeg

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is how awful it looks.. and nothing helps getting rid of the spots on the engine bay and plastic surroundings.

View attachment 43108
The plastic just needs to be cleaned. Pop it out carefully, take it inside, and wash it with mild dish soap and a soft cloth or sponge.