When is the V6 going to be discontinued???

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A version of that engine is still being used in Lexus ES, IS and a few other Toyota products overseas.... They will produce it for 3 more years and then done, IMO. Looks like the V6 days are numbered sooner than I hoped.
You’re thinking of the 2GR-FSE/FKS. That’s an engine with port and direct injection which is very different from the 2GR-FE in the Lotus. They’re very much incompatible as the FE is meant for transverse engine mounting and the FSE/FKS or FKE/FKS are meant for inline engine mounting (front engine - rear wheel drive). The 2grfe wouldn’t work in any of those cars.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You’re thinking of the 2GR-FSE/FKS. That’s an engine with port and direct injection which is very different from the 2GR-FE in the Lotus. They’re very much incompatible as the FE is meant for transverse engine mounting and the FSE/FKS or FKE/FKS are meant for inline engine mounting (front engine - rear wheel drive). The 2grfe wouldn’t work in any of those cars.
correct :(

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyways…

Is Toyota really going to continue to sell Lotus the 2GR-FE past 2025 let alone 2030? The last non-lotus car Toyota put that engine in was the Previa in 2019.
Ford, GM, Chrysler and I’m sure a few others maintain a robust aftermarket business selling crate motors of designs that haven’t been in a production vehicle for decades. If Lotus were to commit to a run of say 7,500 - 10,000 motors do you think Toyota would refuse to produce them?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Actually the 2025 date has been proposed, it has yet to be ratified. Manufacturers are pushing back hard.
thanks - that was my question, Everything I had read was pointing to July 1 2025... was looking to see if anyone had something different.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I could see them doing so as well as having a number of engines on hand to support replacements for aging cars. In the end though the 2GR-FE is a dead end for both Lotus and Toyota. Neither are incentivized to keep it around for very long.

For reference, I have a v6 order submitted.

Grumpy

Reaction score
I dont think Toyota will take a lot of notice of Lotus. I guess it was scheduled to end production in 2025 and that wont change. Lotus have committed to Electric and the Emira is a run out Evora 3. They will produce it whilst still viable in terms of parts/engine supply. I doubt there is much if any margin in the Emira at current prices, its noticeably cheaper than the Evora was. It may be a headline grabbing car for the Asia and US markets but in reality Geeley will just want to flog Chinese based SUV’s under the brand. Hopefully Hethel has a role as a development base for future cars but I suspect significant manufacturing will not be there for many more years anyway.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Probably the only way to ever know is when the configurator no longer allows you to option a V6 on what would be a BASE model. I assume Toyota will continue to supply enough engines to satisfy Lotus deposit holders.

I realize my post really says nothing but it's over when it's over.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

2GR-FKS is used in transverse applications including the Lexus RX and Toyota Sienna. It's very similar to the 2GR-FE aside from the differences in fuel injection. Both could be adapted for transverse or longitudinal applications, depending on the paired transmission. They can be used interchangeably.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In an alternate universe without financial woes, a supercharged version of the FKS/FSE would have been a logical progression for the Emira in both power and fuel economy.

Fun fact: Toyota offered a supercharged 2GR-FSE in the 2009 Toyota Mark X +M.

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

The 2GR-FKS is mounted on the Alphard, a vehicle designed exclusively for the Japanese domestic market.
The Alphard is FF and mounted transversely.
However, it is unlikely that Lotus will adopt the 2GR-FKS because the AMG engine can be used.

Last edited:

Deeznuss

Reaction score
With Safety & Emissions requirements tightening in Europe what’s anyone’s best guess on the availability of the Toyota V6 + Aisin manual transmission in the future? 2025? 2026? 2027? 2028? Beyond?

All indications point to the AMG engine as the future one and only power plant option in the future.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
With Safety & Emissions requirements tightening in Europe what’s anyone’s best guess on the availability of the Toyota V6 + Aisin manual transmission in the future? 2025? 2026? 2027? 2028? Beyond?

All indications point to the AMG engine as the future one and only power plant option in the future.
The EU just loosened it up I believe.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The EU just loosened it up I believe.
And they will continue to push it back as the general public rebels. EV’s, as good as they have become, are a flight of fancy and the wholesale conversion will take decades, not years, regardless what the EU elite, our brain dead President or the current OEM CEOs say.

I’m 65 and I don’t see EV penetration past 50% in my lifetime, even if I live to be 100. In other words, I’m taking the under in this bet.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
And they will continue to push it back as the general public rebels. EV’s, as good as they have become, are a flight of fancy and the wholesale conversion will take decades, not years, regardless what the EU elite, our brain dead President or the current OEM CEOs say.

I’m 65 and I don’t see EV penetration past 50% in my lifetime, even if I live to be 100. In other words, I’m taking the under in this bet.

I don’t feel that strongly about it — I own an EV as well as ICE, I like anything that’s fast and fun, 4 wheels 2 wheels whatever it takes to have fun. Variety is the spice of life.

sgemira

Reaction score
According to Singapore Lotus, "Factory has just confirmed that production of the Emira V6 First Edition has ended!"
I am not sure what they meant. First Edition for V6 has stopped or V6 production has stopped 🤔

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
According to Singapore Lotus, "Factory has just confirmed that production of the Emira V6 First Edition has ended!"
I am not sure what they meant. First Edition for V6 has stopped or V6 production has stopped 🤔
They are referring to the First Edition v6 MT series . FE v6 AT are next to be built, then FE i4 coupled with Base versions.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it. Lotus has not released any info about the V6 base edition and they still have to produce the V6 First Edition automatic cars for the US. Maybe they stopped producing FE V6 cars for Singapore market, but definitely not world wide.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
yeah this cant be nation wide i JUST confirmed my car to be built a few days ago. its gunna be a few more months at least