• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What engine will you go with Toyota V6 or AMG 4? [poll]

What engine option will you choose for the Emira

• AMG-sourced four-cylinder making 360 horsepower

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Supercharged 416-hp Toyota V-6

Votes: 147 69.0%

• Total voters

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus have said the Emira weight will be "from 1405kg", which I assume will be the Base Edition i4. The fully loaded V6 First Edition has been declared at 1458kg. So the weight difference is equivalent to a full tank of fuel or a petite passenger :)

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Given that we now know the i4 in China is rated at 400bhp, it is safe to assume the UK AMG i4 is detuned. So the base I4 can safely be flashed to 400bhp without weight penalty! BONUS!

By my Calculations:
400hp I4 AMG at DIN 1405kg - 284.7bhp per tonne…
416hp V6 at DIN 1458kg - 285.3bhp per tonne…
Negligible differences really….

Last edited:

Maldsley

Reaction score
Latecomer here.
As an Exige V6 Cup refugee the V6 manual was absolutely all I was interested in when placed an early deposit.
The appeal of a V6 with tardy IPS is a mystery to me, but each to their own - it won't be the collectors choice for sure (if that were a consideration).
Then, as others have said already, when found out the price was a £16k difference in the wrong direction (I expected the uplift to be for the newer engine and DCT) I faltered... and because money is limited here, I just cant justify the 16k uplift to only (for me) get a Manual 'box.
My V6 sounded amazing, but only with the addition of a 2bular exhaust (highly recommended), so I doubt a sound-proofed Emira will ever live up to that.
It seems the AMG will offer comparable performance to the V6 - and more tunable (per £) as to get serious increase from the V6 involves Komotec bills of £15k+. By which time you are over £90k before options (used 991 GT3 or Mc570 very tempting there - irrelevant comparison I know but would perplex me!).
Also the running costs if the V6 is full whack road tax might make the AMG easier to live with (including the big first year payment), plus fuel if get to use this as much as hoped (desperately trying to persuade myself!)
I know I'll regret it, but I've done it now and been bumped to the AMG queue...
I'm lucky though having an S1 Elise, which I've had 20+ years and never selling. The idea of chopping that in (as probably worth about 16k) to bridge from AMG to V6 Emira makes this even starker - no way!!
I'll keep the S1 for the old school back-to-basics feel thank you kindly, and the AMG Emira for as much else as possible.
Looking forward to seeing more of your First Edition specs on here as I have a bit longer before committing now and interested to see what you go for. Personally I think the Harry Metcalf spec is far too restrained, but then he is a far more discerning gentleman than I!:)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Welcome! Bear in mind the £16k delta is between Base i4 and First Edition V6. The i4 FE comes next and will probably be around £70k. The Base V6 I think will be about £66k, so with careful choice on options you could get a V6 own spec for around £70k, same as a fully loaded i4. A lightly-optioned Base i4 should be feasible for £62-64k. The real like for like premium for a manual V6 is about £6k.

Obviously you'll have to wait longer for a Base Edition (we're expecting both V6 and i4 versions to be available at the same time) and your reasons for considering the i4 are still very relevant.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Lotus have said the Emira weight will be "from 1405kg", which I assume will be the Base Edition i4. The fully loaded V6 First Edition has been declared at 1458kg. So the weight difference is equivalent to a full tank of fuel or a petite passenger :)

I'll still be happy at 1458kg.

Even with my petite girlfriend with me in the Emira later on, it'll still weigh less than my current car. :p

My current MY2020 M2 Competition is a hefty 1633kg (without anyone in it).

Maldsley

Reaction score
Thanks for that TomE, good points well made, especially as I had this convo with Lotus customer care and they hadn't corrected me. I look forward to Lotus actually confirming the i4 FE UK price (I've chased it - don't know how far away), I could be on their books for a long time at this rate!

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Welcome! Bear in mind the £16k delta is between Base i4 and First Edition V6. The i4 FE comes next and will probably be around £70k. The Base V6 I think will be about £66k, so with careful choice on options you could get a V6 own spec for around £70k, same as a fully loaded i4. A lightly-optioned Base i4 should be feasible for £62-64k. The real like for like premium for a manual V6 is about £6k.

Obviously you'll have to wait longer for a Base Edition (we're expecting both V6 and i4 versions to be available at the same time) and your reasons for considering the i4 are still very relevant.
I think the V6 FE price can be justified easily if you look at the cost of the last Evora's being offered on Lotus's site. They were at 78K before options, by the time you tick the boxes for the options included on the Emira V6FE, you are to close to 100k. With that logic, we are getting a deal and prices may rise rapidly

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Given that Emira will be the last ICE car that Lotus is planning on building, to me, Lotus' pricing of the FE V6 manual made it exceptional value, especially when compared to the Evora. In fact, when discussing this with someone I know who owns an Evora 400, he was curious as to how Lotus is able to market a completely new car for less than a similarly specified Evora. Now I know that it is the 'Geely effect' but, being late to the party, I didn't know that at the time.

For those who are still curious, the following article provides an explanation:
Here's Why The Lotus Emira Costs Less Than The Evora

Last edited:

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just wish they could have done a slightly more exciting "send-off" to ICE cars, ala Z06 style (which I also have reserved, not sure if I will keep it or the Emira). They did the highest HP naturally aspirated engine ever offered in a production car for their final car model that exists before they progress to hybrid and full electric. I'm not saying something wild like that, but 450 reliable hp from a supercharged 3.5L V6 is unbelievably easy in 2021. I had a 2.5L V6 15 years ago that I custom turbo'd and it made over 400hp with internals not meant for boost. With a different pulley and slight tuning adjustment it could have been at least closer to a sub four second 0-60, and a little more respect from the competition.

My last car (RS7 with a tune) had almost 700hp and same torque, so maybe I'm just spoiled? 😄

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just wish they could have done a slightly more exciting "send-off" to ICE cars, ala Z06 style (which I also have reserved, not sure if I will keep it or the Emira). They did the highest HP naturally aspirated engine ever offered in a production car for their final car model that exists before they progress to hybrid and full electric. I'm not saying something wild like that, but 450 reliable hp from a supercharged 3.5L V6 is unbelievably easy in 2021. I had a 2.5L V6 15 years ago that I custom turbo'd and it made over 400hp with internals not meant for boost. With a different pulley and slight tuning adjustment it could have been at least closer to a sub four second 0-60, and a little more respect from the competition.

My last car (RS7 with a tune) had almost 700hp and same torque, so maybe I'm just spoiled? 😄
I have never owned a 400 hp car before. I’m really interested in hearing people’s opinions as to whether it really matters to have 10% more power for the vast majority of us? What could I do with 450 hp that I can’t with 400 hp? And would I want to do those things anyway? When I drive I like the experience of carving through mountain or back country roads. I have a hard time seeing how having 500+ hp is really that much of a benefit. And if it were there would be other choices that allow me to experience those benefits. Please educate me.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
450 reliable hp from a supercharged 3.5L V6 is unbelievably easy in 2021
My understanding is the gearbox is more the limiting factor rather than the engine (but yeah, in a "send off" car, the cost of building the box out of sterner stuff is easier to justify, so your point isn't totally wayward).
What could I do with 450 hp that I can’t with 400 hp?
Brag harder? :giggle:
If I'm honest, I do at least want to be able to convincingly out-flex any upstart hot hatches and warmed-over rep-mobiles every now and then ;)
(so I'm kinda hoping - but not really holding my breath - for the 400hp AMG rumour to pan out)
Yes, this is a bit childish... but at least I can say I know myself.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My understanding is the gearbox is more the limiting factor rather than the engine (but yeah, in a "send off" car, the cost of building the box out of sterner stuff is easier to justify, so your point isn't totally wayward).

If I'm honest, I do at least want to be able to convincingly out-flex any upstart hot hatches and warmed-over rep-mobiles every now and then ;)
(so I'm kinda hoping - but not really holding my breath - for the 400hp AMG rumour to pan out)
Yes, this is a bit childish... but at least I can say I know

Yes, this is a bit childish... but at least I can say I know myself.
I’m sure the guys in the souped up rep mobiles would wish they were driving the Emira. If it was all down to performance we’d be driving Tesla 3 performance models and saving a good deal of cash to boot :)

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have never owned a 400 hp car before. I’m really interested in hearing people’s opinions as to whether it really matters to have 10% more power for the vast majority of us? What could I do with 450 hp that I can’t with 400 hp? And would I want to do those things anyway? When I drive I like the experience of carving through mountain or back country roads. I have a hard time seeing how having 500+ hp is really that much of a benefit. And if it were there would be other choices that allow me to experience those benefits. Please educate me.
Having owned a succession of quicker cars than the last one I’d say the only benefit is getting yourself into more trouble quicker. Any car that dips below 5 seconds to sixty is quick. You’d always get used to whatever horsepower you had available.
I’m more looking forward to taking the sweeping bends that I can see in full view quicker than the chump following behind because his car maybe quicker in a straight but I’ll always be quicker in the bends.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I will say, there were a couple times in my 991.1 GTS that I wished for a bit more power. Loved the car to death, but sometimes I just felt it lacked that torque that threw you back in your seat.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I will say, there were a couple times in my 991.1 GTS that I wished for a bit more power. Loved the car to death, but sometimes I just felt it lacked that torque that threw you back in your seat.
I love that car. Wasn't lucky enough to own one but did get to thrash the 2wd manual around Porsches Silverstone track. You are right didn't feel mega fast. But the handling, noise and way it revved out was so addictive. Hoping the Emira will be the same +1 😁🥰

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The appeal of a V6 with tardy IPS is a mystery to me, but each to their own - it won't be the collectors choice for sure (if that were a consideration).

My V6 sounded amazing, but only with the addition of a 2bular exhaust (highly recommended), so I doubt a sound-proofed Emira will ever live up to that.
Re IPS I can only assume you have tried them in the Exige or Evora S1, to which I would agree with the tardy statement. However in the Evora 4xx models the auto was much faster, similar to AMG GT I had, at which point it makes the manuals look tardy ;).

Re the exhaust , for the Exige 380 and Evora 400 onwards the exhaust was much louder than on previous cars. Definitely no need for an after market exhaust, unless you want to make it quieter for track. That said we have to wait to see what DPF does to the sound track.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm trying to get written confirmation but have been told recently the V6 First Edition will not have a particulate filter, which is good news for the exhaust noise. The i4 FE will have one.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm trying to get written confirmation but have been told recently the V6 First Edition will not have a particulate filter, which is good news for the exhaust noise. The i4 FE will have one.
Me too - first Lotus Marketing were quite certain that Emira didn't have a PPF, but that was in November before I went for my viewing. However, after hearing different views on this, I now have a query lodged with Customer Care, who have passed it on to Hethel for confirmation.

Fingers crossed, I am hoping that the DPM system from the outgoing Exige (S3) can be used without requiring any changes.

Last edited:

GreenDeal

Reaction score
:LOL:The Emira is now also available in the "V6-hardcore edition"! (found at Komo-Tec):LOL:

Attachments

• slider_1920x600x144-weihnachten2021_1280x1280.png
    slider_1920x600x144-weihnachten2021_1280x1280.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 124