V6 Rant

Mike

Reaction score
very few people reviewing things or on this forum owned and regularly used a supercharged sport car. Turbos suck, naturally aspirated is an endearing gimmick. Supercharged is where it is at for a road race car. It will make you cackle with glee once you experience one in traffic situations, getaway situations, road race situations, deciding to not be law abiding situations. I know that sounds odd, but you'll see if you never owned one and pushed it as a daily city and suburb psycho car. I cannot wait to go back to one. Things like Hellcat Challenger are so addicting, so was my 2006 Mini cooper S. So long as you toss another radiator or increase the flow of the coolant system (either cheap to do), you can just change a pulley and rocket this badboy to 475 hp with no problem bob.
The reason I went for the V6 is because I prefer driving cars with superchargers rather than turbos.
I'm not a skilled track driver but I enjoy driving. I don't service the car myself but I do take it to a garage regularly for servicing.
For me the choice was simply based on what I like to drive. I don't care if the engine came from Toyota (nor would I have cared if it came from Mercedes). I like driving supercharged cars because of the instant response and how they sound.
Not a particularly technical or deep reason, but it's my reason.
The fact that the V6 will be out next month and I'll have mine at the end of September (**note to Lotus**) is just a bonus!!!!

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
More V6 Emira Rant in this months issue of CAR…..
81E5127E-538C-44A7-98B9-89F265FCE238.jpeg

A53A5BCF-F571-4A84-9B06-06184D505B34.jpeg

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's abnormal for Lotus to put less power into the "standard" configuration than past "special" configurations. Sure I would prefer to have more power, but this makes sense to me. They obviously want to reserve the higher power output for future "special" configurations, even if it is going to be with the i4.

Take a look at what is down the road. The M139 is going to be good for *maybe* 450 without the upgraded 48v system and electrified turbo. I doubt that version of the M139 will find its way into the Emira. With that upper limit in mind, Lotus has to leave some room for hotter versions of the car to be released in the next few years. If they released a 430hp V6 from the start, they would have no room to grow.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Lets look at this another way - this is a comparison with cars hugely more expensive, the Emira comes joint with the MC20 - a car many have raved about...
Yea, I thought the comparison was a little odd given the price and class difference. Anyway, it's good to read about the MC20. What a lovely car. I would take that over the McLaren and Porsche any day.

Edit: This may not be popular opinion but I find McLarens to be just very fancy kit cars. The exterior and interior designs are incoherent and unrefined, despite their dynamic capabilities. The shapes, colors, textures, and construction methods are all confused. Anyway, that's just me.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I must say having an Emira being tested against a Ferrari, McLaren, Maserati MC20, GT4 RS speaks volumes to what reviewers/ Auto mag's think of the Emira overall. Now - all those cars are double / triple the price of an Emira and I would not expect it to compete with any of them.(performance wise) However, when looking at them the Emira does belong with them. It really is a brilliant piece of automotive design. It's the Ferrari Dino of our generation, I really believe that.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't think it's abnormal for Lotus to put less power into the "standard" configuration than past "special" configurations. Sure I would prefer to have more power, but this makes sense to me. They obviously want to reserve the higher power output for future "special" configurations, even if it is going to be with the i4.

Take a look at what is down the road. The M139 is going to be good for *maybe* 450 without the upgraded 48v system and electrified turbo. I doubt that version of the M139 will find its way into the Emira. With that upper limit in mind, Lotus has to leave some room for hotter versions of the car to be released in the next few years. If they released a 430hp V6 from the start, they would have no room to grow.
I'm not all about the power.
But I still think dumbing this launch car down is a big mistake. Who cares about future models.
Put forward the best car you can now. Rather than something that is out of touch before it is even launched...
There isn't much market time for this Emira as it is, so saving a few bhp for later to boost sales when the order book will probably still be full seems unnecessary.
They can still offer a more expensive limited final edition with carbon (minus 100kg) and a few more horses and better suspension later as a final hoorah.
Still awaiting that test drive, but all the delays have had me contemplate every angle of the Emira and convinced me that the V6 probably isn't the weekend warrior that I was hoping for. So I'm 99% sure I'm going to roll my deposit over for an i4 Base and simply use it as a more interesting daily ie Alpine A110

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I just rewatched Shmee's review of driving the Hethel Yellow Emira. It's actually one of the best reviews out there. He gives a very honest evaluation of what he's experiencing as he first sees it, then gets in and drives the car. His isn't as fancy as Henry's, or as simplistic as Harry's, or as flashy as Harris's, but I feel it's the most practical and realistic.

For me there's a list of things that a sports car goes through when you first see it.

First is looks. We're all conditioned to be attracted by looks. Lotus knocked this one out of the park. Henry's video does a great job of showing that no matter where or what setting the Emira is in, it looks stunning. Shmee echoes that in his review.

Second is accessibility. How easy (or difficult) is it to get in and out of? Most sports car enthusiasts will put up with compromises there, if the car delivers everywhere else, but Lotus has given us a decently accessible sports car which Shmee nicely points out and demonstrates. Chris Harris also points this out in his chat with Jack.

Third is interior. How does it look, and how usable is it? Everyone mentions how nice, and nicely finished the interior of the Emira is. Check the box for looks. Usability. We all need a place to put our phone, maybe a drink whether it's coffee, water bottle, etc. We may need convenient storage for small odds and ends. We need to be able to adjust the driving and seating position so it's comfortable, etc. Lotus has that covered too. Shmee points out how some things were odd; like the way the steering wheel and the pedals didn't line up (wheel to the left, pedals to the right an a LHD car) for example, the accessibility of a few of the controls, etc.. None of his observations were show stoppers. Check the box for usability and comfort.

Fourth is sound. How does it sound when you start it, and what does it sound like when revving it up. The Emira's we've heard so far, at the very least sound decent, and I believe it was @TomE who recently posted a short video of a Hethel Yellow car in the most current spec, being revved in an underground space of some kind. It sounded fantastic. Best sound yet. If that's final spec sound, we have a winner. Check the box for sound.

Fifth is performance; what it's like to drive it. This is where Shmee's video really puts things in perspective. While talking about all the little things that may or may not have been perfect, he immediately becomes engaged by the experience of driving the car, and even points out how all these 'little things' suddenly didn't mean anything; you completely forget about them when driving the car, because that experience is so engaging. He talks about how usable the power it has actually is, and shows being able to run it up to redline in several gears without being at ridiculous speeds. He comments about how fun it is to actually drive the car, and how important usable power is compared to excessive power.

To me, this is where the Emira will come into its own as a sports car. It's real magic is going to be how it engages you when it's in motion. This is the exact same feeling I had when I got my first ride in a Lotus Elan S1 back in the late 60's. It was so different from the other sports cars I'd been in; Triumph, MG, Austin Healey, Corvette, etc. It felt like the Elan wasn't just riding on the road, it became part of the terrain; smoothly, gracefully tracking over every condition of the road surface but it didn't insulate you from it; you became as one with it. You and the car were a unit; a single entity.

After driving it around, Shmee points out how this is a lot of car for the money; exactly the same thing Chris Harris said, and it's a very good thing. That's probably the best way to describe the Emira. It isn't necessarily perfect or the fastest, but with supermodel looks that hold up against cars that are 3 times as expensive, it's a fun car to look at, to be in and drive. At its price point, it truly is a lot of car for the money, and that's probably why we all want one and are all so wound up about getting one.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
But I still think dumbing this launch car down is a big mistake. Who cares about future models.
Put forward the best car you can now. Rather than something that is out of touch before it is even launched...
There isn't much market time for this Emira as it is, so saving a few bhp for later to boost sales when the order book will probably still be full seems unnecessary.
They can still offer a more expensive limited final edition with carbon (minus 100kg) and a few more horses and better suspension later as a final hoorah.
Still awaiting that test drive, but all the delays have had me contemplate every angle of the Emira and convinced me that the V6 probably isn't the weekend warrior that I was hoping for. So I'm 99% sure I'm going to roll my deposit over for an i4 Base and simply use it as a more interesting daily ie Alpine A110
I agree, they should have given the V6 the full out version from launch. The 6+ month delays to the original launch does not help the fact. They now will be delivering on a truncated time table for the V6 FE/ Base / Final before they announce a more powerful V6 version. Based on reviews from forum members and journalists it's a capable sports car. Not a super car. 100 KG lighter and 430 BHP would have helped it's case. The higher HP i4's will be the better performance spec's for sure. The final edition V6 will be the grail Emira in my opinion. ( assuming weight comes down, HP @ 430 and maybe some ohlins, carbon ceramics brakes and magnesium wheels, carbon roof and carbon seats, titanium exhaust)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't know that they did that with the V6 Leonard. It sounds like they were having to slightly tune it down to reach the point where it would pass homologation.

At this point, because it's taking so long to get cars into production due to all the supply issues going on globally, there may not be enough time for another version of the V6. They may already have enough orders to take up all the V6 cars they can produce and get engines for, until the cutoff when they can't use the engine anymore.

The final edition is probably going to only be an i4 version.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I just rewatched Shmee's review of driving the Hethel Yellow Emira. It's actually one of the best reviews out there. He gives a very honest evaluation of what he's experiencing as he first sees it, then gets in and drives the car. His isn't as fancy as Henry's, or as simplistic as Harry's, or as flashy as Harris's, but I feel it's the most practical and realistic.

For me there's a list of things that a sports car goes through when you first see it.

First is looks. We're all conditioned to be attracted by looks. Lotus knocked this one out of the park. Henry's video does a great job of showing that no matter where or what setting the Emira is in, it looks stunning. Shmee echoes that in his review.

Second is accessibility. How easy (or difficult) is it to get in and out of? Most sports car enthusiasts will put up with compromises there, if the car delivers everywhere else, but Lotus has given us a decently accessible sports car which Shmee nicely points out and demonstrates. Chris Harris also points this out in his chat with Jack.

Third is interior. How does it look, and how usable is it? Everyone mentions how nice, and nicely finished the interior of the Emira is. Check the box for looks. Usability. We all need a place to put our phone, maybe a drink whether it's coffee, water bottle, etc. We may need convenient storage for small odds and ends. We need to be able to adjust the driving and seating position so it's comfortable, etc. Lotus has that covered too. Shmee points out how some things were odd; like the way the steering wheel and the pedals didn't line up (wheel to the left, pedals to the right an a LHD car) for example, the accessibility of a few of the controls, etc.. None of his observations were show stoppers. Check the box for usability and comfort.

Fourth is sound. How does it sound when you start it, and what does it sound like when revving it up. The Emira's we've heard so far, at the very least sound decent, and I believe it was @TomE who recently posted a short video of a Hethel Yellow car in the most current spec, being revved in an underground space of some kind. It sounded fantastic. Best sound yet. If that's final spec sound, we have a winner. Check the box for sound.

Fifth is performance; what it's like to drive it. This is where Shmee's video really puts things in perspective. While talking about all the little things that may or may not have been perfect, he immediately becomes engaged by the experience of driving the car, and even points out how all these 'little things' suddenly didn't mean anything; you completely forget about them when driving the car, because that experience is so engaging. He talks about how usable the power it has actually is, and shows being able to run it up to redline in several gears without being at ridiculous speeds. He comments about how fun it is to actually drive the car, and how important usable power is compared to excessive power.

To me, this is where the Emira will come into its own as a sports car. It's real magic is going to be how it engages you when it's in motion. This is the exact same feeling I had when I got my first ride in a Lotus Elan S1 back in the late 60's. It was so different from the other sports cars I'd been in; Triumph, MG, Austin Healey, Corvette, etc. It felt like the Elan wasn't just riding on the road, it became part of the terrain; smoothly, gracefully tracking over every condition of the road surface but it didn't insulate you from it; you became as one with it. You and the car were a unit; a single entity.

After driving it around, Shmee points out how this is a lot of car for the money; exactly the same thing Chris Harris said, and it's a very good thing. That's probably the best way to describe the Emira. It isn't necessarily perfect or the fastest, but with supermodel looks that hold up against cars that are 3 times as expensive, it's a fun car to look at, to be in and drive. At its price point, it truly is a lot of car for the money, and that's probably why we all want one and are all so wound up about getting one.
That is your opinion and of course its valid as it is your opinion! But I think you have all of your points the wrong way around, for me anyway:
1) Performance
2) Sound
3) Interior mod cons
4) Accessibility
5) Looks

Thats why I'm feeling the Emira is more of a GT car than Sports Car. The Exige is a Sports Car

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree, they should have given the V6 the full out version from launch. The 6+ month delays to the original launch does not help the fact. They now will be delivering on a truncated time table for the V6 FE/ Base / Final before they announce a more powerful V6 version. Based on reviews from forum members and journalists it's a capable sports car. Not a super car. 100 KG lighter and 430 BHP would have helped it's case. The higher HP i4's will be the better performance spec's for sure. The final edition V6 will be the grail Emira in my opinion. ( assuming weight comes down, HP @ 430 and maybe some ohlins, carbon ceramics brakes and magnesium wheels, carbon roof and carbon seats, titanium exhaust)
I don't even think the final edition V6 will be the grail and it's simply missed its day.
That's why I don't understand not making the V6 more competitive now and then releasing a 500bhp i4 grail car later.
That would make more sense to me based on where the market is now in 2022, but hey what do I know

OP
L

LotusRising

Reaction score

You sir are too rational for this board :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
That is your opinion and of course its valid as it is your opinion! But I think you have all of your points the wrong way around, for me anyway:
1) Performance
2) Sound
3) Interior mod cons
4) Accessibility
5) Looks

Thats why I'm feeling the Emira is more of a GT car than Sports Car. The Exige is a Sports Car
Your scale is based on importance to the user; mine was based on reaction from just seeing a car for the first time. I agree with your list if I'm ranking things by importance. If I've never seen an MC20 and don't know a thing about it, what's the first thing I'm going to notice when I first see one? I'm going to notice its looks, and so on down the list. That's what would pull me in to wanting to know more about it, performance, cost, etc.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't even think the final edition V6 will be the grail and it's simply missed its day.
That's why I don't understand not making the V6 more competitive now and then releasing a 500bhp i4 grail car later.
That would make more sense to me based on where the market is now in 2022, but hey what do I know
Grail = Manual... only reason. i4 will be the best track version of the Emira... Not the grail car tho.