US Emira Replacement Side Markers

pcarguy

Reaction score
To all of the US Emira owners (or soon-to-be owners). I notice that Lotus has addressed the US regulations by putting the amber side-markers into the main headlight housing.

As a Porsche guy, I have replaced all of my P-cars with clear or frosted side markers, but still compliant as they have an amber light when they illuminate.

Surely there are others that want to replace the Lotus amber lights.

Has anyone got replacements?

FWIW, Porsche replacement side-markers are like 80-200 dollars for a set and are very easy to replace.

B r I a n

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Pumpkin Pride. Since no one in the US has taken delivery, and they are only "US spec" I do not see any one changing them out yet. I also do not see them being as easy to change out as on a 996 or 997. Best case you will be able to open up the headlight assembly to modify.

HydroJim

Reaction score
Unless the headlights are easy to open, the best option is probably to replace with euro spec headlights.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
i replaced my amber reflectors on my BMW but they are simply on the outside next to the wheel. cheap and easy to fix.

i considered the same for the Emira but you either need to open up the light or replace it with EU spec. both sound way too evasive and expensive for such a minor issue

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
. too evasive and expensive for such a minor issue
100% agree, both with my clear corners on my E39 and also that I would never buy replacement headlights just to accomplish this. (I did it with insurance money after being hit)

For the Lotus, that's money better spent on driving lessons so that I am more deserving of the car!

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't get why people hate them. I think they turned out looking pretty good myself.
Same and like mentioned at 4K to replace them is a mad price and id would sooner spend the money elsewhere.
It used to be all the rage in the UK to have clear or smoked on everything and loads of cars had replacement light clusters at the rear that were completely clear with coloured bulbs.

The problem with aftermarket light clusters or opening up oem ones is the increased risk of fogging. Since the change to ever sleeker headlight clusters there are many cars that suffer fogging especially after rain.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I thought moisture in the Emira lights is a feature. I am almost certain I heard existing owners complain about this. Once the lights heat up the fog is gone.

OP
P

pcarguy

Reaction score
A thread on this already exists here.

I don't like the amber strip in US spec lights at all and will be looking to get a euro spec set for my car, but not sure I can justify the apparent $4k+ costs for the OEM set. Hopefully cheaper alternatives can be found soon.
Thanks for this. That thread didn't come up in a search. It also has a few photos of Blue, White, and dark grey US cars. It's given me hope that my Nimbus with yellow calipers might possibly look ok with the amber.

Also found a US Nimbus photo in the USA thread. Perhaps not as bad as I thought:
img_1792-jpeg.36753

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Baking your lights to open them up is the way many choose to do it. But I just never felt like that was a good idea. Lights are so advanced now that it seems risky. Old days it was just a projector headlight…but back then replacements were also WAY cheaper.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Baking your lights to open them up is the way many choose to do it. But I just never felt like that was a good idea. Lights are so advanced now that it seems risky. Old days it was just a projector headlight…but back then replacements were also WAY cheaper.

Sticking your LED headlights in an oven is sure fire way to ensure your next mod is a set of $5,000 headlights.

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
i replaced my amber reflectors on my BMW but they are simply on the outside next to the wheel. cheap and easy to fix.

i considered the same for the Emira but you either need to open up the light or replace it with EU spec. both sound way too evasive and expensive for such a minor issue
I was rooting for side reflectors outside instead of headlight for this exact reason.

When cars are delivered, someone should try the headlight tint film on the sides to see if it works. I did this for my jaguar and it looks good. However, it may not blend with the car if you don't have black wheels.

Other than that, we'd have to buy new headlights from overseas. :\

Last edited:

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They definitely stick out a bit but as mentioned not much you can do unless you open up the headlights or apply a tinted overlay in that area but not sure how that would look either.
6V4A6926.jpg

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for this. That thread didn't come up in a search. It also has a few photos of Blue, White, and dark grey US cars. It's given me hope that my Nimbus with yellow calipers might possibly look ok with the amber.

Also found a US Nimbus photo in the USA thread. Perhaps not as bad as I thought:
img_1792-jpeg.36753
That’s the exact colour of mine and until I read this thread I hadn’t noticed the colour.

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interestingly, there will be people in Europe that want the amber in the headlights.

I would prefer non-amber, but they don't look as bad as I thought they would. Such a stupid and old DOT rule.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I generally think they don’t look as bad as I feared, and certainly not $4k bad.
With that said, I’ll see when I get the car if I can apply a tint strip on the side. If it looks crap, I’ll take off the tint, I’ll live with it OEM and move on.