US Communication

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
No problem, water off a mole's back :)

One of my 6 feedback topics was on comms channels and content. We've had some semi-regular emails, like the recent one with the video of Gav on track at Hethel talking about the drive modes. I think weekly is probably unrealistic. But a simple thing to do would just be for them to set expectations, so either say it'll be monthly or in each email say when the next update will be.
You know, I don’t think a weekly email is actually not that big a deal. Lotus has all our email addresses and could easily put together one message that goes out to the whole group list with the click of a button. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, just informative. One nice idea might be to mix in some history of the brand, past cars, philosophy, racing heritage, personalities, controversies, etc. I suspect they have all kinds of content in their corporate archive. Empower someone from the marketing team and let them run with it. It might turn out super fantastic, and even surprising. I send out a message to my team weekly and it takes me about two minutes. Granted, it’s not anything more than text. But I bet in an hours time a young tech savvy person could put out something really cool. It’s been my experience that often when something is perceived as taking a lot of time and effort it’s because leaders don’t trust the people under them to execute without their guidance so you end up in situations where leadership is having to approve every little thing. That approach also can be inferred by customers that you don’t trust them to be reasonable. I’m an idealist by nature, so maybe I’m being too Polly Anna about this, but I think this is a pretty forgiving group and I bet would give a pass on screw ups as long as they are acknowledged. It’s so easy for pursuit of perfect to become the enemy of the good. IMHO.

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
To me, as many have mentioned. It takes minimal effort to put out some regular communication. Even if nothing has changed. To me, extremely lacking in customer engagement.

Reactions: vdr

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
To me, as many have mentioned. It takes minimal effort to put out some regular communication. Even if nothing has changed. To me, extremely lacking in customer engagement.
Let’s hope their reaching out to @TomE and others leads to positive change. I don’t think it’s anyone’s intent at lotus to underperform. If that were the case we wouldn’t be talking about this car to begin with. But being criticized for falling short of one’s intent is not bad…it’s a gift, but they must be willing to accept it. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Let’s hope their reaching out to @TomE and others leads to positive change. I don’t think it’s anyone’s intent at lotus to underperform. If that were the case we wouldn’t be talking about this car to begin with. But being criticized for falling short of one’s intent is not bad…it’s a gift, but they must be willing to accept it. I’ve got my fingers crossed.
I'm in corporate sales with large companies. I always try and keep my customers updated even where there is nothing new. That way they don't start getting cranky. I am psyched on getting the car otherwise I wouldn't care so much. I just can't believe they are not a little better in communication but it is what it is.

cdbrown001

Reaction score
I'm in corporate sales with large companies. I always try and keep my customers updated even where there is nothing new. That way they don't start getting cranky. I am psyched on getting the car otherwise I wouldn't care so much. I just can't believe they are not a little better in communication but it is what it is.

I reached on the Lotus website and here is the response I got:

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for joining us on the next chapter of the Lotus story.

The Emira is an all-new mid-engined premium sports car that perfectly embodies the ongoing transformation of the Lotus business and brand. It features all the hallmarks that the automotive world has come to expect from a Lotus – striking design, thrilling dynamic performance delivering best-in-class ride and handling, outstanding aerodynamics and an unrivalled experience ‘For The Drivers’.

Our price list has now been released for both models, Emira I4 Base will be $74,900 and the Emira V6 First Edition is $93,900. and will include some options you might be interested in.

Although we base your build slot by the date and time you place your order not which dealer it was through, we are still a long way away from seeing a finalised list. Once we receive firm orders we will be in a better place to confirm when you would anticipate receiving your car.

Your chosen dealership will be in contact with you in January to complete the configuration of your car, in the interim below is the link for the configuration tool if you would like to review before you complete with the dealer:

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/model/emira/#configure

Deliveries will commence from Fall 2022.

In the meantime we thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Tammy McKenzie
Relationship Manager US
646 432 6834

[email protected]

www.lotuscars.com

GROUP LOTUS
Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ, England

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Dear Christopher,

The Emira is an all-new mid-engined premium sports car that perfectly embodies the ongoing transformation of the Lotus business and brand. It features all the hallmarks that the automotive world has come to expect from a Lotus – striking design, thrilling dynamic performance delivering best-in-class ride and handling, outstanding aerodynamics and an unrivalled experience ‘For The Drivers’.

Our price list has now been released for both models, Emira I4 Base will be $74,900 and the Emira V6 First Edition is $93,900. and will include some options you might be interested in.

Although we base your build slot by the date and time you place your order not which dealer it was through, we are still a long way away from seeing a finalised list. Once we receive firm orders we will be in a better place to confirm when you would anticipate receiving your car.

Your chosen dealership will be in contact with you in January to complete the configuration of your car, in the interim below is the link for the configuration tool if you would like to review before you complete with the dealer:

Regards,

Tammy McKenzie
Relationship Manager US
646 432 6834

[email protected]

www.lotuscars.com

GROUP LOTUS
Hi there. Exactly what question did you ask of them. I’m finding it difficult to understand the nuances of the process here in the states. How will lotus be able to integrate dealer allocation with when you place a build order? How will we know if we are being sequenced equitably based on our first deposit date as long as we follow through but place our build order through a low volume dealer? Seems to me your initial deposit should determine your place in line as long as you follow through by a specified date. Where you placed your order shouldn’t matter. Seeing as it’s now January, shouldn’t there be a detailed plan put forth by lotus that defines each buyers place in line? Not when your car will arrive in absolute terms (which I recognize may change) but in relative terms.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi there. Exactly what question did you ask of them. I’m finding it difficult to understand the nuances of the process here in the states. How will lotus be able to integrate dealer allocation with when you place a build order? How will we know if we are being sequenced equitably based on our first deposit date as long as we follow through but place our build order through a low volume dealer? Seems to me your initial deposit should determine your place in line as long as you follow through by a specified date. Where you placed your order shouldn’t matter. Seeing as it’s now January, shouldn’t there be a detailed plan put forth by lotus that defines each buyers place in line? Not when your car will arrive in absolute terms (which I recognize may change) but in relative terms.
This is a stock boilerplate message as evidenced by several postings. Best to wait for the January Lotus update TomE referenced. Save your sanity.

OP
TXEMIRA

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This is my favorite part. First time I’ve seen this little blurb. Makes me think feedback may have been heard.

Dealer allocation or a portion of the calculation could be based on deposits or documented interest.

Big fan of transparency either way!

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Dear Christopher,

Regards,

Tammy McKenzie
Relationship Manager US
646 432 6834

[email protected]

www.lotuscars.com

GROUP LOTUS
Thanks for reaching out and sharing. Helpful.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Let's wait for the Lotus update. It's not difficult for Lotus and the dealers to do deliveries based on first deposit date and also maintain dealer allocations.

It'll depend a little on batching and geography. You can envisage a situation where (say) 50 Emiras are containered from UK to US then on-distributed to (say) 30 different dealers based on which owners should be getting the first 50. So person #50 might get theirs slightly ahead of person #1, but should be within a week of each other.

cdbrown001

Reaction score
I just asked if they had any new info about the next steps in the order / delivery process for the USA.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Let's wait for the Lotus update. It's not difficult for Lotus and the dealers to do deliveries based on first deposit date and also maintain dealer allocations.

It'll depend a little on batching and geography. You can envisage a situation where (say) 50 Emiras are containered from UK to US then on-distributed to (say) 30 different dealers based on which owners should be getting the first 50. So person #50 might get theirs slightly ahead of person #1, but should be within a week of each other.
Right, there's a natural logistical difference between build order and delivery order. Even in a strictly organized system they would be attempting to achieve the former rather than the latter.

My guess based on their slightly vague language about a finalized list is that they will be batch-assembling certain combinations of configurations during the early production. That's possibly for efficiency or inventory management reasons, but it may also be to provide a more consistent repetition for training purposes on the line.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That may be the case and is on my list of questions already submitted to Lotus that I'm due answers on next week.

Some people have suggested there might be batching by colour, which would potentially seem unfair. Particularly as the panels are painted in house, so they can do one colour in the morning and a different one in the afternoon.

The other items that can vary between cars are things like suspension, but that's just different rated dampers and springs so assembly process should be almost identical. Interior trim is just a fabric/colour difference, so similar assembly. There are a few yes/no items like Homelink. Manual versus auto is the only major one difference.

One of the reasons they've gone for the fully loaded First Edition approach is they get to build everything and there's not much variation between cars. So training, build efficiency and inventory should be easier. Similarly with doing V6 first then i4.

There'll be some batching somewhere, but possibly not very much.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Right, there's a natural logistical difference between build order and delivery order. Even in a strictly organized system they would be attempting to achieve the former rather than the latter.

My guess based on their slightly vague language about a finalized list is that they will be batch-assembling certain combinations of configurations during the early production. That's possibly for efficiency or inventory management reasons, but it may also be to provide a more consistent repetition for training purposes on the line.
Agreed. sOP for early process management and improvement.