*Updated 3.11.22 Some great news that was a surprise

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It was already apparent on Thu 8 July 2021, the first day of Goodwood, that they'd seriously underestimated demand. I was there that day and spoke to senior Lotus folks late in the afternoon. Even then, two days after the reveal, they were saying it was five times the demand they'd expected. They were already talking about having to ramp up the second shift and look again at country allocations. Two days later I heard they'd provisionally boosted the UK 2022 allocation by over 30%.

I don't understand how they've prioritised numbers per country per month, but it does seem like the US is a much more mixed outcome than UK and other countries. It looks to be hugely unfair some people with July deposits at one dealer aren't getting a 2022 build but others at another dealer with much later deposits are getting one. We've been through the reasons for this and the apparent limited Lotus control over it. From the outside it certainly looks unfair and divisive.

My hope is the reviews are so positive that orders ramp up to a level where Lotus have enough confidence to commit to the third shift.
Get ready for an editorial comment, 'great car if you can get it.'
Words will be used to discuss production capacity and learning curve under social and economic headwinds. Will Lotus be as nimble as its legendary driving experience?

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Been waiting over 1 week for a reply to the email giving me this news, just asking a few general questions. No response, even after a follow-up email to ask if he got the first one...

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Been waiting over 1 week for a reply to the email giving me this news, just asking a few general questions. No response, even after a follow-up email to ask if he got the first one...
It’s sad because you want to pick up the phone, have a great conversation, and plan for life stuff.

Sometimes the easiest stuff becomes the most difficult.

Now you’re waiting on an email simply to have documentation.

Ideally you’d have a phone call and they’d email you with a recap so everyone is on the same page. Even if that recap had some loose data or date ranges it’s better than your (our) current situation of “nothing”.

#ForTheVenter

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If I were you (which I’m not), I would pick up the phone and call. If you can’t get ahold of your SA, talked to another. Waiting for an email might be a waste. Every SA is different. Some don’t respond simply because they have no more info that they have already given you.
This dealer is so small it's literally a one-man show and I think he's actually a manager at the Nissan dealer next door, since his email has Nissan in it :oops:

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Well, I finally broke down today and called the dealer. I left a message and he called me back about half an hour later and gave me some info. He just took three orders and locked them in last week, along with one for a demo car. They're not expected to get built until September and delivered probably in November. This is very unfortunate because in Northern New York that means it will likely be snowing and test drives might not be feasible. It also means that I will have had to lock in my spec before getting a chance to sit in a car. He figures that I would be finalizing my order sometime and June or July, and I wouldn't be getting my car until the early months of 2023 most likely. He also said that one of his 15 cars is the demo and they told him he can't sell it, but at the same time told him that it will probably have low miles on it (going into winter) and would be getting swapped out for a new demo at some point and would be something a customer might want, so he was confused by that.

So, I am still number 13 out of 14 First Edition cars that he will be able to sell. I am pretty sure I can figure out my color choice before the summer, since we should definitely be able to see the colors properly by then, I am just not sure I will be able to fit in the car properly being 6'3", and won't get to sit in one before I finalizing my order. He assured me that he had customers that tall that fit in the Evora 410 with no problem and that this should be very similar.

So, that's my update. At least I don't have to worry about walking in my right away, he's doing them in batches, as Lotus allows, and mine won't be for a little while yet.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well, I finally broke down today and called the dealer. I left a message and he called me back about half an hour later and gave me some info. He just took three orders and locked them in last week, along with one for a demo car. They're not expected to get built until September and delivered probably in November. This is very unfortunate because in Northern New York that means it will likely be snowing and test drives might not be feasible. It also means that I will have had to lock in my spec before getting a chance to sit in a car. He figures that I would be finalizing my order sometime and June or July, and I wouldn't be getting my car until the early months of 2023 most likely. He also said that one of his 15 cars is the demo and they told him he can't sell it, but at the same time told him that it will probably have low miles on it (going into winter) and would be getting swapped out for a new demo at some point and would be something a customer might want, so he was confused by that.

So, I am still number 13 out of 14 First Edition cars that he will be able to sell. I am pretty sure I can figure out my color choice before the summer, since we should definitely be able to see the colors properly by then, I am just not sure I will be able to fit in the car properly being 6'3", and won't get to sit in one before I finalizing my order. He assured me that he had customers that tall that fit in the Evora 410 with no problem and that this should be very similar.

So, that's my update. At least I don't have to worry about walking in my right away, he's doing them in batches, as Lotus allows, and mine won't be for a little while yet.
Encouraging but also frustrating situation. How about checking with Dealers within a driving distance about their Demo availability? I had the impression it might be May this year. You should also ask if there will be another US Tour Event to Dealers not on the first 2021 schedule.. Good Luck.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Hi, re your concerns on height, have a look at my post here:

Then have a look at Henry Catchpole's Carfection test here (he's 6'5") :

Hope that helps!

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hi, re your concerns on height, have a look at my post here:

Then have a look at Henry Catchpole's Carfection test here (he's 6'5") :

Hope that helps!
I'm with you there. Hoping I will fit in a similar way, and be able to see out and not be looking at the headliner. Luckily most of my height is in my legs.

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The issue I have with the seat hight is not head room it's the vision angle you have once sitting in the seat my eyes look at the top of the windscreen surround rather than through the windscreen.
That would be a bummer! All I can offer further is that if it had been an issue for Henry he would have mentioned it - he's too astute and honest not to. As another forum member mentioned ( @NicolasB ) all tall people are not made equal, so if you are longer in the torso than Henry you may have an issue where he did not.

Fingers crossed for you.

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Guessing I should be ok, looking at his viewpoint out. Around the 4 minute mark he says it has a great view out.

Screenshot_20220311-134516_YouTube.jpg

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Guessing I should be ok, looking at his viewpoint out. Around the 4 minute mark he says it has a great view out.

View attachment 3784
Nice one - good reference shot for the taller driver.

I'm no expert but looking at the below I'd say Henry's torso is on the longish side if anything, which bodes well for tall folk?

1647025251852.png

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Nice one - good reference shot for the taller driver.

I'm no expert but looking at the below I'd say Henry's torso is on the longish side if anything, which bodes well for tall folk?

View attachment 3785
What is up with this guy's hair, btw? He looks like Jake Gyllenhaal stuck his finger in an electrical outlet 🤯 😆

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
He also said that one of his 15 cars is the demo and they told him he can't sell it, but at the same time told him that it will probably have low miles on it (going into winter) and would be getting swapped out for a new demo at some point and would be something a customer might want, so he was confused by that.
In the UK, the new agency model means Lotus UK retain ownership of the demo cars and loan them to the dealers for a period. This means Lotus HQ can decide how to re-sell them afterwards. Whilst this means no more opportunity to do a deal with a dealer for a nearly new car, it should help to protect residuals. Perhaps they are doing something similar in the US?

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In the UK, the new agency model means Lotus UK retain ownership of the demo cars and loan them to the dealers for a period. This means Lotus HQ can decide how to re-sell them afterwards. Whilst this means no more opportunity to do a deal with a dealer for a nearly new car, it should help to protect residuals. Perhaps they are doing something similar in the US?
It seems likely there would be a V6 demo this year and then maybe i4 next . Are you hearing anything about the V6 auto per customer preference over MT?
Dealers usually sell the existing demo as the new model arrives. It's a new world and in the old one there would be a MT and Automatic demo. Some in this Forum have Dealer experience so I anticipate hearing an informed response.

2Lotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It seems likely there would be a V6 demo this year and then maybe i4 next . Are you hearing anything about the V6 auto per customer preference over MT?
Dealers usually sell the existing demo as the new model arrives. It's a new world and in the old one there would be a MT and Automatic demo. Some in this Forum have Dealer experience so I anticipate hearing an informed response.
In the US most manufacture's let it up to the dealers to decide when to sell the demo's. Some dealer will keep the demo's until they start to get inventory of said model, others sell the the demo and take the profit.
Some manufacture's will put a restriction on when the demo can be sold.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've not heard the global split or any regional ones, just that UK is about 10-15% auto on the V6 FE orders committed into build (ie first 6 months production).

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've not heard the global split or any regional ones, just that UK is about 10-15% auto on the V6 FE orders committed into build (ie first 6 months production).
Really that is very surprising, with most of the hardcore enthusiasts going for manual on the first batch of V6 FE's I think that will leave the early V6 FE's Autos in a great position residual wise as there won't be many of them.

That leaves me in a better position :cool: