Thoughts on the 2023 Nissan Z

RCL

Reaction score
Not a fan of how the new Z looks which sucks because I think there was a missed opportunity for something really special. Not as much of a let down as the new supra, but yeah not great either. Looks play into a cars appeal, and the headlights and f/r bumpers don't look good. A body kit can fix it or maybe a Nismo model will like how the Nismo 370z looks way better than a base 370z. The specs and price point is excellent thought and I'm sure will be a fantastic car, would be my #1 choice for a sports car <50k.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not a fan of how the new Z looks which sucks because I think there was a missed opportunity for something really special. Not as much of a let down as the new supra, but yeah not great either. Looks play into a cars appeal, and the headlights and f/r bumpers don't look good. A body kit can fix it or maybe a Nismo model will like how the Nismo 370z looks way better than a base 370z. The specs and price point is excellent thought and I'm sure will be a fantastic car, would be my #1 choice for a sports car <50k.
As a former Z car owner, I feel the same way.

Sometimes so much is played into this "paying homage to the OG" that the designers' hands are bound and can't really go for something from the future.

Instead, they struggle to try and combine the past with the present. I had a 2003 350Z track, it's just not acceptable that this 2023 version doesn't even move me as much as the 2003 version. Geez, it's been 20 friggin years.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I saw a blue 400z in flesh today. Interior is a noticeable improvement over the 370z. I was hoping that the car’s exterior in person would look better than pictures, but unfortunately it didn’t. Not much road presence. Not as wide as I had imagined. Front facia is still awkward looking. Side and rear profiles are better, but not enough to make it look and feel special.

I hope it drives good. I have a soft spot for Z cars and I wanted the 400z to capture me emotionally and it failed. Maybe in a few years I will buy a used base model as a track car. But if the driver engagement part is missing, I will be drawn to 86/BRZ.

Last edited:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It’s cool, but I wouldn’t buy one. Emira, Porsche, Miata would all be on my list before this. I think they did a great job on the rear styling but the front is not good. Looks unfinished.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I bet it drives like a dream but to my eye they missed the mark on styling. Wish it was more 240Z and less 300Z. Something off to me.

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the 300Z (pops owned one)

I like the 400's rear and a modified one can beat Aventadors apparently. However, the front design doesn't feel timeless to me.
Since the Nissan GTR is a class above, Socially the Nissan Z would fit in the groups of chargers and mustangs IMO.

I feel like the Emira's group is closer to the GTR and above (depending on the owners modifications and lotus name). The exotic class is more appealing to me.

Last edited:

Lotus-USFL

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the 300Z (pops owned one)

I like the 400's rear and a modified one can beat Aventadors apparently. However, the front design doesn't feel timeless to me.
Since the Nissan GTR is a class above, Socially the Nissan Z would fit in the groups of chargers and mustangs IMO.

I feel like the Emira's group is closer to the GTR and above depending on the owners modifications and lotus name. The exotic class is more appealing to me.
The Gran Turismo movie was OUTSTANDING! Makes me think about getting another Nissan. I've yet to see a new Z in the wild (just inside a dealer's show room). With the Emira price now pushing $100k, the Nissan may become more of a bargain alternative (especially if you can get lucky enough to find one near MSRP).

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gran Turismo movie was OUTSTANDING! Makes me think about getting another Nissan. I've yet to see a new Z in the wild (just inside a dealer's show room). With the Emira price now pushing $100k, the Nissan may become more of a bargain alternative (especially if you can get lucky enough to find one near MSRP).

I loved my 300ZXs and the new Z and Supras are killer bargains. I'm just not interested in another tuner car that are a dime a dozen out there. I went to a massive Cars & Coffee the other week and I was 1 of 2 Lotus there and 1 of 1 Evora. There were about 2 dozen MK5 Supras and 3 new Zs. I'm honestly just not interested in them anymore... I strongly considered a MK5 Sup, but everyone does the same mods and they just aren't exciting to me. Just my opinion.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Since I've had a 240z for the past 15 years I was very hopeful when the new Z was announced it would be something appealing to me. I planned to buy it before saw it but I dont like how it looks at all. The new Z was partially responsible for adding to my disappointment of new car models that led me to want an Emira. (Finally a car that looked great)
I did end up buying a GR86 which looks more like the 240z than the new Z does. Wish the GR had 400hp though.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
In my area, the Z, GR86, Supra, M2/M3/M4, Type R, STI, etc, are all young people's cars. I cannot drive one without risking having my motives questioned.

That's one thing I dislike about my GTI. The community is super young. Everyone is in their late teens/early 20s and asking what intake is best to make them go faster in the 1/4 mile or which lowering springs will drop them the most. 😏

BraydenMiles

Reaction score
400 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque? That's no joke. It's great to see that they're keeping the manual transmission option as well — a dying breed in modern sports cars if you ask me.
I'm super excited about the exhaust note. Any car that pays attention to how it sounds is already winning in my book. It's fantastic to see Nissan taking elements that have made their sports cars iconic and implementing them into the new Z. If you've ever been interested in their older models, you might enjoy reading this Nissan Silvia buying guide. It's pretty interesting to see the evolution from classics like the Silvia to monsters like the new Z.

Last edited:

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
400hp, 350lb/ft in a front engine, rear-drive platform with a manual - great idea! Now the Z just needs leaf springs...

basic_z06-guide-04.jpg