Thoughts on an Emira Convertible?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the Emira being a smashing hit so far, what do you think the chances are that Lotus releases an Emira Spider in 2023-2024 to compete with the 718 Spyder, C8 Convertible, Z4, Audi TT, etc.

emira-spider.jpg

Check out these additional renderings
here: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...y-look-like-according-to-theottle-164924.html

Wonder If Lotus will build a spider version a bit later in the production run. I’m sure it would be well received. Carn’t beat a bit of open top motoring, to amplify those two rear speakers blasting a glorious sound track out the rear😉👍

Not likely unfortunately.. Lotus CEO Matt Windle says Emira will only be a coupé at 16:22 in this interview:

I don't know if they will actually do it, but damn, it looks awesome!

Not likely unfortunately.. Lotus CEO Matt Windle says Emira will only be a coupé at 16:22 in this interview:
I would love ❤️ a convertible, targa, removable glass roof. It adds another dimension to driving. Let’s hope they change their minds 😊

Could we start a Campaign additional model?

I would love ❤️ a convertible, targa, removable glass roof. It adds another dimension to driving. Let’s hope they change their minds 😊

Targa would be great, I’m sure it would sell well - the car is so short of storage though I’m not sure where you’d stash the roof - may have to ditch your passenger if you want the wind in your hair!

I do for sure think the 430/450 hp car will arrive in the next 12 months, but after all the issues they have had so far, I doubt this will be contemplated.
If they cant fulfil demand with the coupe, it seems a bad economic decision to try a spyder / targa which yes would look great, but I think there are too many technicalities these days with these cars and it would also be a heavier car when the car is already quite heavy.
SO for looks great, but as most are already complaining its slow, this would be even slower....

They can’t get the V6 out of the door and the i4 has been hampered by technical issues. Please let’s not make things worse by asking them to try and design another variant!

They can’t get the V6 out of the door and the i4 has been hampered by technical issues. Please let’s not make things worse by asking them to try and design another variant!

Is there any actual evidence of any real i4 technical issues (other than those already evident for V6 Manual and Auto type approval in the UK), or is it purely speculation/persistent forum fables?

If the latter, can we put this to bed once and for all??

Dan Ballmer was quoted, in an interview at the Japan Lotus Day (so this comment could be Japan-specific of course), as saying :

“Actually, we can produce the i4 (inline 4-cylinder) model at this time, but we still have a large backlog of orders for the V6 model that we have received prior to that. The I4 model will not go into production until the summer of 2023.”

Although the UK website now says Q2 2023 for the i4 and so do Lotus CS at present so at least they're consistent for a change....... 🤞:LOL:

Hard evidence no, snippets of info yes. Thermal management for the i4 engine bay has been a major headache. The Lotus tuning has also been harder to achieve than expected. AMG recalled all the ECUs from Lotus, grounding the development and test cars. They don't have type approval yet. So no, they couldn't build a production i4 today.

Lotus will never make a public statement about it, but the above are all from Hethel staff close to the project.

A targa should be pretty easy.
Chop roof out and add panel simples 😆
Having seen a mock up tho I'm not sure it actually works aesthetically and yes there is the issue of having to leave the panel at home unless they could split it and store behind seats.
Overall seems more trouble than its worth

I do for sure think the 430/450 hp car will arrive in the next 12 months
MIght be announced but it wont be arriving!

I still expect them to change their mind, Satisfy the V6 orders and move on.
Whether that comes from Hethel or Chine, who knows.

Convertible... Yeah... if they manage to make it look as good. Any mock ups out there?

The pain off success, they must work through these issues and grow.
I have found that problems and their solutions let one to greater accomplishments. Lotus needs to get through and grow!
They learned in the design of the Emira it was an evolution from previous accomplishments.

Back