The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Most journalist comments have been about turn-in, not necessarily understeer.

My old Exige V6 had a lot of understeer on track on cold tires. After 2 or 3 laps the front tires started performing and the understeer was gone. Actually the balance was phenomenal in the fast corners. One of the nicest cars I have ever driven on a track.

I didn't notice understeer (as in sliding the front wheels) on my test-drive as was not pushing it. But overall feeling was the car felt ok when changing direction, I think it is in fact the absolute strongpoint of the Emira. But with a square mega fat steering wheel...it really feels you are holding an encyclopedia to steer...and the front end has a sort of 'numb' feeling... it doesn't feel as active and direct as some other cars I drive.

I rewatch Jethro B.'s review once more and I think he is spot on.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Most journalist comments have been about turn-in, not necessarily understeer.

My old Exige V6 had a lot of understeer on track on cold tires. After 2 or 3 laps the front tires started performing and the understeer was gone. Actually the balance was phenomenal in the fast corners. One of the nicest cars I have ever driven on a track.

I didn't notice understeer (as in sliding the front wheels) on my test-drive as was not pushing it. But overall feeling was the car felt ok when changing direction, I think it is in fact the absolute strongpoint of the Emira. But with a square mega fat steering wheel...it really feels you are holding an encyclopedia to steer...and the front end has a sort of 'numb' feeling... it doesn't feel as active and direct as some other cars I drive.

I rewatch Jethro B.'s review once more and I think he is spot on.
Mega fat steering wheel:ROFLMAO: it felt small and light to me. Maybe you have small hands?

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mega fat steering wheel:ROFLMAO: it felt small and light to me. Maybe you have small hands?

I have never ever been in a car with such a fat steering wheel? BMW-M cars comes closest, but even those are not like the 'chunk' found in the Emira. I am more Gordon Murray old-school.

Can you name a car with a thicker steering wheel than Emira?

Last edited:

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I can't think of any

I have never ever been in a car with such a fat steering wheel? BMW-M cars comes closest, but even those are not like the 'chunk' found in the Emira. I am more Gordon Murray old-school.

My old m4 comp wheel, the Alcantara and carbon one with the shift lights in definitely felt as thick if not thicker than the emira. Can't say as either felt a problem. Jeremy beadle might struggle 😄🤷🏻

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Grabby brakes
Clutch
Seats
Steering wheel
notchy shift

All these things people are fussing about I just found non issues. I was comfortable, didn't stall it, didn't miss a shift, didn't have any issues modulating the brakes, steering wheel felt spot on.

I think there's something wrong with me 😭

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My old m4 comp wheel, the Alcantara and carbon one with the shift lights in definitely felt as thick if not thicker than the emira. Can't say as either felt a problem. Jeremy beadle might struggle 😄🤷🏻

M wheels are waaaaay top thick.
Just as well the Emira wheel has a fat flat bottom (the worst of all the bottoms...) as the seats don't go down low enough, so at least offers a bit more legroom

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just as well the Emira wheel has a fat flat bottom (the worst of all the bottoms...) as the seats don't go down low enough, so at least offers a bit more legroom
I agree about the M wheels being way too thick. Never did get used to it. And the Emira's is worse? Oy...
Wonder what they were thinking with this design?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree about the M wheels being way too thick. Never did get used to it. And the Emira's is worse? Oy...
Wonder what they were thinking with this design?
I wouldnt say its worse.
It's not as fat I don't think.
Just the fat alcantara weird flat shape combo 😅
I'd always rather have a round wheel. Much easier control

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I wouldnt say its worse.
Oh OK...I was going by @hagen111 comment about the thickness. As to the shape, I've had flat bottomed wheels before and that's no biggie, but you're right, a squircle may be a bit trying.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I can't think of any

Audi R8 is way thicker. The Emira wheel felt like angel hair pasta made out of cotton balls.

Attachments

• 9E6A3DBA-8288-42CE-A711-3C51503393A0.jpeg
    9E6A3DBA-8288-42CE-A711-3C51503393A0.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 51

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Audi R8 is way thicker. The Emira wheel felt like angel hair pasta made out of cotton balls.
I don’t think there is much in it v’s gen I had and as you can see I have ickle mits

Attachments

• E32E07CD-569E-4667-9D19-E65ECAA2CFB0.jpeg
    E32E07CD-569E-4667-9D19-E65ECAA2CFB0.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 73

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I wouldnt say its worse.
Yeah I have an M Performance steering wheel in alcantara and it's pretty thick. The Emira alcantara wheel is considerably less thick.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Seats were fine for me at 6ft with substantial quads 😄

LotusAmateur

Reaction score
Right. Did my test drive at B&C yesterday.

Firstly, good test drive experience. Antonia at B&C accompanied me on the drive - she was friendly and knowledgeable, and let me experience the car my way. Not too sales-y nor preachy. Interestingly, she fully acknowledged that Lotus CS was really bad and did not even pretend it would get better - just said B&C would take care of me once the car was delivered to them.

Impressions from the drive:
1) The route from B&C was good - good mix of A and B-roads as well as a motorway stretch. Got to open up the car as well as experience handling in stop and go traffic.
2) The demonstrator has about 4k miles (from memory); so everything has settled in.
3) Overall, some really strong aspects
  • Strong linear power delivery with a sweet spot around 4k rpm. Liked how the responsive the car was all the time and has power on tap as I needed it
  • The hydraulic steering feel is great. Very tactile and connected
  • Good gear shift. Not the smoothest but purposeful, short throw. Felt great.
  • The handling was agile and confident; loved how it handles curving roads - very planted and confident
  • Good spacious and practical cabin.
  • KEF stereo was fine. Strangely, Antonia played music via Wi-Fi and said that it was not possible to play music wired to the system (strange!). So, was not able to test if it could handle hi def music. Audio was okay but the bass lacked definition; definitely not as good as the Focal system in my Alpine.
4) Some aspects I was less impressed about
  • The engine sounded just about okay to me. Not bad but definitely not epic.
  • The seats were fine but the headrest was uncomfortable for me. And I am not particularly tall.
  • The steering wheel felt awkward - not sure why but something non-intuitive about it.
  • Cabin was good and is good quality. But did not feel premium in design or feel. Some weird things like there is no wireless charging; so there was a Apple lightning charger cable awkwardly coming from near the gear linkage through the phone holder - detracted from the beautiful exposed gear linkage.
So, overall - good car and fun to drive. Great handling, power delivery and steering feel. But, apart from the manual gearing and hydraulic steering, not enough between it and my Alpine to make it a must have for me. Not enough to put up with terrible customer service attitude, all the issues from the delivered cars, and potential after-sales issues. Not worth the heartburn. So, I will cancel my deposit for now (7 Jul 21 deposit and currently promised Feb production btw), and may revisit in a couple of years.

It still is a great car - so for those staying on the journey, enjoy it. Will be amazing to see you on the roads!

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well, Parks Lotus has just called to cancel my test drive as their Emira has been off the road for an “unknown” issue and have not returned on the road yet. I’m not too bothered as the roads are fairly icy in Scotland. They will call me to rearrange once it is back and hopefully in better weather.

The reliability of the Emira so far have really put caution to the wind for me…. My confidence in it he Emira being a sound long term ownership potential is waning and waning fast….

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This "all the customer test drives" thread is a great. Lots of good reviews and I have learnt a lot as I wait for delivery. Lotus Australia now have stock in the showroom and some folk are getting "customer cars" so more reviews to follow. Test drives invites will be issued in the next few weeks.
Could not help but to spot this number plate in Brisbane. The guys got a sense of humour. :)

1673912578358.png

Some good pics and credit goes to this chap at "Rear View Photography"

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Brilliant! Is that the dealer or a customer car?

Look forward to reading more test drive reviews from our Australian members in the coming weeks. And some pictures of the cars in actual sunshine - something we've been lacking here in the UK during our test drives.