• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

Carbuilder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Basically, it is not a car for Lotus fans but a superb car for car fans.
That is a very interesting way to put it. I like that.

I have a BMW i8 Roadster. It never sold well since it was expensive and all the reviews said it should have more power for what it looks like. Then I read somewhere where someone said "judge it for what it is, not for what you think it should have been". That makes a huge difference in how you look at a car.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I will say this once again...

If you come out of an Elise, Exige and expect anything like that in the Emira, you will be VERY disappointed.

If you come out of an Evora you will be somewhat disappointed.

Think of the Emira as a new car from a whole new manufacturer.
It is a heavy, not that fast car that happens to be beautiful, comfortable and still sporty.

It is about the mentality getting into it.
I thought it was AMAZING for what is was actually trying to be. I stand by that. Lotus hit the mark 100% - just that the mark is not a bullseye for some.

I don’t agree with your last statement. I was a fan of the Elise in my 30s…that doesn’t mean I don’t expect some added comfort with shared DNA later in life. Some folks here assume we will continue driving go karts all of our lives and if not, we are not lotus fans.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
This is the biggest disappointment for me. And I realised this probably 6 months ago and I'm still here and hence miserable... So again I'm sorry. But I'm invested. Emotionally, in time and financially.
I understand that new models by their nature get a little softer and a little heavier. But compare to Porsche and the performance overall is ALWAYS better.
I'm not feeling that with the Emira and that is both disappointing and frustrating

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don’t agree with your last statement. I was a fan of the Elise in my 30s…that doesn’t mean I don’t expect some added comfort with shared DNA later in life. Some folks here assume we will continue driving go karts all of our lives and if not, we are not lotus fans.
I concur. The Evora wasn't a Go Kart tho was it...?

Beady

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm there tomorrow too.

I'm also looking at the black evora they have there as I'm considering that as an option if I'm underwhelmed by the Emira.

Would you go for a 400 again Over an Emira?
A 400 probably not but a 410 yes - I have been debating it with Mrs B tonight - I am one foot back into getting a 410 already but she thinks I should move on a get a 570 or an Aston

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Sorry, can't comment, as never seen a demo car.
All I can say is that the build quality and finishing touches seem far better that the demo 'YouTube' cars.
You were in the blue 💙 demo car and saw the yellow 💛 customer car? 🙂

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
A 400 probably not but a 410 yes - I have been debating it with Mrs B tonight - I am one foot back into getting a 410 already but she thinks I should move on a get a 570 or an Aston
Is the 10bhp the only difference?
What else would be a major factor in ignoring the 400 for the 410?
I have no Evora experience so keen to understand, if they are a possible alternative for me.
Is the 410 really worth the extra dosh from the 400?

If so,why?

Logoman

Reaction score
I love the car but I think some are getting ahead of themselves on the interior/infotainment. It’s a huge step up for Lotus, it’s more minimalist than some of the comparisons which I think is appreciated if you’re more of a purist. Very practical with the buttons and knobs you want and not being overly cluttered like Aston/Vette. I think a better comp is it’s on par with a specked out modern Japanese/Korean car, with the finish and material quality of the Germans (Porsche/Mercedes).

It wasn’t planned but I was in my friends brand new Vantage 2 days after my test drive. The interior of the Vantage “looks” more expensive but I’d honestly rather have the Emira and if you picked up 99% of the ppl on the street who aren’t car nuts and offered them a ride in both cars I’d bet money they wouldn’t question you for a split second if you told them they both cost the same.

What I find unique about the Emira compared to the Aston/Corvette etc. is it’s a more fun engaging and tactile car to drive, and with that you expect to sit low with poor visibility and have a bumpy ride. However that’s the case on the competition cars while the Emira feels like more of the proper sports car with your hands on the controls, but also provides a more comfortable driving/passenger position with great visibility and road trip comfort you’d expect in a non-sports cars.
awesome(y) precisely what I'm looking for and what I hoped Lotus would do with such an important car as this, the last of the ICE powered ones.

Beady

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is the 10bhp the only difference?
What else would be a major factor in ignoring the 400 for the 410?
I have no Evora experience so keen to understand, if they are a possible alternative for me.
Is the 410 really worth the extra dosh from the 400?

If so,why?
there is a bit of carbon fibre on the 410, especially at the back end which gives a little weight saving but in reality not much difference.
My comment is largey because i have had a 400 so would prefer something different (even if just very slightly);
Also financial -a 2016 400 is currently still close to 53-55k (although my old one is on sale right now at mid £40s) but a 19/20 plate 410 is only £60-65k.
I think a 2016 400 under £50k would be great but a 410 in the upper 50s - for a minimum 3 yr newer car that would be perfect. (Compare a 2012 911S is mid to high 50s)

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is the biggest disappointment for me. And I realised this probably 6 months ago and I'm still here and hence miserable... So again I'm sorry. But I'm invested. Emotionally, in time and financially.
I understand that new models by their nature get a little softer and a little heavier. But compare to Porsche and the performance overall is ALWAYS better.
I'm not feeling that with the Emira and that is both disappointing and frustrating
I dunno about that Leonard... was an Evora 400 better than the 2016 cayman GT4? The Evora also cost more than a 981 GT4 to boot. In this case - Porsche > Lotus.

Emira changes the game and now it may not be better than 718 GT4.... However ..... Emira > 718 GTS 4.0 for sure!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I dunno about that Leonard... was an Evora 400 better than the 2016 cayman GT4? The Evora also cost more than a 981 GT4 to boot. In this case - Porsche > Lotus.

Emira changes the game and now it may not be better than 718 GT4.... However ..... Emira > 718 GTS 4.0 for sure!
The Evora used to be compared to the equivalent Porsche 911 of the time...
I actually just meant same brand however and comparing new model to old though.

Davependo

Reaction score
You were in the blue 💙 demo car and saw the yellow 💛 customer car? 🙂
Ahh, see what you mean 😀
No difference. Both had same spec interior and both looked the same.
For info, the demo car wasn't the one they had speced, so they were expecting another one 'soon' 😀
On another after thought point, the dealer did mention (which doesn't effect me) that the early delivered cars wouldn't have the driver assistance pack (forgive me, as I've made that description name up, as i can't remember the acronyms), which includes - Lane assistance, adaptive cruise control and some other stuff. He mentioned part shortages was the reason 🤷‍♂️

Another bug bare, which they said was sortable was the parking sensors. They were a little sensitive, but were apparently programmable, so could be adjusted. After driving the car, I now understand why I kept hearing beeping on some of the 'YouTube' reviews.

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Quick brain dump after a test drive today at Parks Lotus in this lovely Magma car on Touring suspension.
View attachment 10628

For context I have owned 2 Elises , 2 Exiges, a Caterham (an honorary Lotus, obviously :) ), and over the years I think I have driven pretty well every variant of the Evora except the 430, either on test drives or cars belonging to friends. The demo was a 45 minute drive on a mix of urban and rural roads. Roads were wet, and I was trying to keep to the 4k running in limit so certainly wasn’t pushing it.

Interior. It looks great and is beautifully finished, but there are a couple of issues. I am not a fan of the squared wheel, but the bigger problem is the seats. I was hoping I would like them more on the drive than sitting in the showroom last week, but sadly not to be. Comfort was reasonable but the head rest is a bit too low for tall drivers, I’d prefer the base to go lower, and the side support could be better. Not a deal breaker, but the seats in my daily BMW 320D M-sport are far better, and that really shouldn’t be the case. If only Lotus offered the option of some simple, lightweight, low set, manually adjustable buckets.

Gearchange. Lovely, mechanical, rifle bolt action, with a nice short throw. Improved over the Evora or V6 Exige, but still requires a firm hand and I did miss a couple of shifts to start with.

Drivetrain. Lots of low and midrange grunt with a completely linear delivery, but obviously can’t comment on the top end. Sounds fantastic in Sport mode with nice burbles on the overrun, but definitely not as loud as an Evora 410.

Brakes. Felt a bit grabby and over-servoed at first, but I was getting used to them by the end of the drive. Personally, I would prefer less assistance.

Steering. For me the steering feel is the very essence of what makes Lotus cars special, and on this count the Emira is just superb. The steering is brimming with feel giving a lovely connection to the road, yet never feels twitchy or nervous. I loved it.

Dynamics. Hugely impressive -the famous Lotus chassis magic definitely seems present and correct to me. The car feels taught, responsive, and seemed to flow brilliantly through the corners over some very pockmarked and uneven surfaces. The Touring chassis in no way feels soft, but the ride quality is excellent. I have ordered Sport, which obviously I would have liked to test, but I am pretty happy with my choice as the ride would have to be dramatically worse than the Touring car to be in any way unacceptable.

Overall. For the naysayers who think that Lotus has sold out and made a dumbed-down car for the masses, I am delighted to say that, as a serial Lotus owner, it felt like a proper Lotus to me. Even on this short drive it felt like a truly special, engaging sports car. Dynamically it will feel very familiar to anyone who has driven an Evora 400 or 410 (a very good thing in my book), but you have those supercar looks and a much better finished interior, all for £15k less than the Evora 410 was back in 2018. Apart from those mediocre seats, it’s a winner :cool:
I agree with pretty much all of the above 👍🏼

Last edited:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I will say this once again...

If you come out of an Elise, Exige and expect anything like that in the Emira, you will be VERY disappointed.

Think of the Emira as a new car from a whole new manufacturer.
It is a heavy, not that fast car that happens to be beautiful, comfortable and still sporty.

It is about the mentality getting into it.
I thought it was AMAZING for what is was actually trying to be. I stand by that. Lotus hit the mark 100% - just that the mark is not a bullseye for some.

Er, how many Lotus cars have you owned :D? Really love the enthusiasm, but I don't share your assessment of how the Emira sits in the Lotus lineage. First, not all previous Lotus models have been hardcore go karts, think Esprit, Excel, Eclat etc. Second, I thought the Emira was shot through with Lotus ride and handling DNA, in particular the steering feel and the way it flows down a twisty road. Dynamically it felt very similar to later Evoras, a very good thing as the Evora has always had top notch ride and handling. What the Emira does do is correct many of the Evora's flaws which prevented it from appealing to a wider market, and these are not really about the way it drives, i.e. divisive looks, so-so interior, shonky infotainment, and in the case of later cars under JMG, wildly over-ambitious pricing. If Lotus are to be believed, the Emira is actually quicker round the Hethel circuit than all Evoras including the 430, and the Exige 350 - count me a tad skeptical on that but if true it probably has more outright ability than most of us will be able to exploit.

Having said all that, I can't escape the feeling that the Emira I really want is the more hardcore GT4ish version they'll hopefully make in a few years (bit more power, lightweight seats, battery, carbon tailgate etc), but that is likely to be over £100k

DJManc

Reaction score
Just completed my test drive at JCT600 Bradford this morning.
Seeing this car in the flesh has re ignited the fire inside of me! As many have said on here, visually, this car is sooooo much better in the flesh and then when you sit inside you are reminded that there are very few cars (at this price point anyway) that feel this special! The feeling/desire actually reminded me of going back over 30+ years (I'm 49 now) when I first saw the M100 Elan and I knew then this was a car that I had to own and just thinking about that filled me with many happy memories off that car.

Initial impressions: Setting off from the dealership, the auto park brake takes a bit of a jolt when you set off to release, if you don't release this manualy yourself and just drive away in 1st, which means you cannot really drive off very smoothly. I have driven many cars with this type of parking brake and am aware that this can be adjusted on most cars so its not so harsh. Likewise, when stopping the car and switching off the engine, the park brake did not engage automatically for some reason and I had to apply this manually! The Sales Agent (Akeel, really sound Yorkshire Lad!) said it maybe comes on when you open the driver door (by which time you may have rolled down the street!) Is this a software glitch Lotus???

The seats: I'm 5'10'' and reckon I had the seat on about the lowest setting. I cannot understand Lotus not offering a lighter weight, lower cost, manual sport seat option, which undoubtably would sit lower in the car. My guess is, if they had, that this would have been most peoples preference! That said, the seats are extremely comfortable, for me anyway and I had no trouble in finding the perfect driving position. Yes they could have better bolstering and I didn't really get chance on my test drive to really drive it like I stole it and throw it around the corners as much as would have liked. I don't suppose anyone would unless you go for the track experience, but for the most part the seats will be just fine.

Driving position: This is something that has always concerned me since I saw the car at launch with the offset pedal positioning. I need not have been concerned! The car takes minutes to get used to and feel comfortable with. You really don't notice that the pedal alignment is not perfectly central to the steering wheel. One thing I did notice straight away was the steering. More heavily weighted than most cars I have driven recently but in the words of Chris Harris, it feels sublime (for the short experience I had). The steering wheel itself is good. I know a lot of people have said too its too fat but I would actually prefer it was fatter/chunkier than this. My current car is a C63s Coupe and the wheel is way chunkier than this which I do prefer. Still, its very easy to get used to. Still can't decide on leather or alcantara. My Merc has half n half and the alcantara does need looking after. If you someone that eats in the car or does not keep your hands spotlessly clean, I say go leather!

Performance: I tried remind myself before the test drive that the Emira was not to be compared to my current C63s, which in my opinion has one of the best modern combustion engines available with quite frankly, sheer tarmac snorting brutal power that could get you into trouble very quickly if your not careful. As we have all heard, the Emira V6 power delivery is linear and whilst its quick, I don't think I would be challenging many modern hot hatches to a race in this car! This car feels capable of so much more and it won't be long before people will be searching for power upgrade options to exploit the chassis potential. Engine sound is good (under load) given the current restrictions all manufacturers are faced with. Again, something that many owners will be looking to exploit with aftermarket options. Comfortable on the motorway too with no noticeable engine drone. This car had the sports chassis and has re affirmed my initial choice. I have driven many hot hatches which feel stiffer than this does.
As Ade said on this feed earlier, we have to keep in mind what this whole package is offering us for the price. Yes my C63s is probably the most complete package of car that I have ever owned (I think I've owned somewhere in the region of 75 cars in my 49 years) but this cost approx £93k 5 years ago and the Emira offers so much more exclusivity/per£, not to mention that feeling it will give you every time you climb inside. Modern cars are so quick now that its not just about 0-60 times anymore but more about the way it makes you feel!

Stereo: KEF sounded OK to me. No better or worse that the Bermeister in my Merc. The Sales Agent seemed to love it and said he thought it was better than a lot of Bose systems in Audi's etc, which I didn't really agree with, but sound is subjective I guess. Anyway it's not a dealbreaker for most I suspect.

Ok, yes I am still smitten. I just Hope Matt Windle is true to his word and will honour the original price like he said in his email video to all deposit holders. These are tough times we are going through, but Lotus would do well to look after loyal customers, there is only so much disappointment and empty promises people can take! I really feel for the Lotus Customer Care Team this week. Bet its been the week from hell for them, after the test drive email went out recently. I just hope they are getting a few little sweeteners from the Management to ease the pain!

Few pics of demo below. Appologies for my poor camerawork!

Attachments

• tempImagegrLCzg.png
    tempImagegrLCzg.png
    637.1 KB · Views: 72
  • tempImagel86zXG.png
    tempImagel86zXG.png
    677.3 KB · Views: 74
  • tempImageixZnen.png
    tempImageixZnen.png
    711.8 KB · Views: 72

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting last couple of pages of comments!
It made me think its an even better fit for me 😁. I don't want a go kart... I want to take the wife out for dinner in it and go to the gym. Do a couple of road trips to Wales and France!
But if this has 90 or even maybe 80%, of the driving fun of these past iterations, that you lotus aficionados talk of, then wrapped up in the new dress it's wearing and with any sort of phone linkage system then I'm going to love it!
Damn thing better not break down on me though or it will be a short affair!

DJManc

Reaction score
Interesting last couple of pages of comments!
It made me think its an even better fit for me 😁. I don't want a go kart... I want to take the wife out for dinner in it and go to the gym. Do a couple of road trips to Wales and France!
But if this has 90 or even maybe 80%, of the driving fun of these past iterations, that you lotus aficionados talk of, then wrapped up in the new dress it's wearing and with any sort of phone linkage system then I'm going to love it!
Damn thing better not break down on me though or it will be a short affair!
It certainly felt noticeably better built than any other Lotus I've driven and this will be Lotus number 4 for me.

Gibbo205

Reaction score
Hi there

So I've just had my test drive during lunch at 12 in Prestbury, so plenty of NSL stretches of roads and some nasty bumpy 30mph stretches of road. Roads were bone dry and temperature around 14c. The car specification is:
- Dark Verdant
- Sport chassis
- Goodyear tyres
- Lower black pack
- Black alcantera with yellow stitching
- V6 manual

A few photos I took before and after the drive:

em1.jpg
em2.jpg
em3.jpg

The exterior of the car I'd say is perfect, ride height looks spot on, excuse the arch gap in the rear but the ground was not level, when I parked up in Bulls Head car park the stance and ride height were perfect. The only negative for me is the silver exhaust tips are not a shiny/chrome silver, look a bit nasty if I am honest, I'd want to have them chrome plated ASAP. Apart from that, the car is an absolutely stunner and in the flesh it looks right.

The interior of the car, first of all getting in and out is like any other car, very easy, vastly easier than my Exige 410.
The cabin fit and finish is excellent, straight very nice yellow stitching no wonkiness like you may see in a Corvette, carpeted door bins, OK size glove box, overall plenty of storage space, room behind seats, small boot, this car as a daily would be fine. The only niggle this car had is the drivers side window would come back down after trying to put it up almost like it thought someone had their hand trapped in the window, I took a look and put it down to the weather seal been a bit tight, an easy fix I'd have thought. Overall a nice please to sit, the seats were comfortable, I am 6ft had ample room and felt the car comfortable. The girl who drove the car with me was I'd hazard around 5ft and she could adjust the seat so she could drive no issue as well. A car by Lotus which fits all!

The KEF stereo I setup the bass to max and other settings and have to say I found it a bit of a let down, I had big expectations with it been KEF but felt it was average at best, the Bowers & Wilkins in my 600 LT absolutely is on another level, its better than what is in my 458 though, but the stereo setup in my Exige is better as is the one in my 987.2 Spyder, so somewhat a let down, but it could be worse, it is better than the stereo in the GR Yaris. :)

So as a car to drive daily, go shopping in the Emira absolutely does it no problem at all and you will look the part whilst doing so, now onto the driving of the car: