The Gator thread

I'm interested in connecting with others who have taken delivery or have deposits with Gator Motorsport in Indianapolis. My car was in port being processed 6 weeks ago (a month before the bridge collapse, so that's not a factor), but I still can't get any real information from Gator about where it is, when I can take delivery, etc.

I chose Gator even though I live in North Carolina because of their reputation. Plus I have family in Indiana and my Dad in particular really wanted to ride in my Emira when I took delivery. Well, Dad passed away last month, so that won't happen. In fact, he was in hospice when the CARB dam broke and the first Emira were being delivered to customers.

So if you're working with Gator, please let me know what you've heard about your Emira. If you've taken delivery, please post a pic and share the date you took delivery.

This is Dad on a test drive in one of the dealer cars last year.
Dad in Emira.jpg

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm interested in connecting with others who have taken delivery or have deposits with Gator Motorsport in Indianapolis. My car was in port being processed 6 weeks ago (a month before the bridge collapse, so that's not a factor), but I still can't get any real information from Gator about where it is, when I can take delivery, etc.

I chose Gator even though I live in North Carolina because of their reputation. Plus I have family in Indiana and my Dad in particular really wanted to ride in my Emira when I took delivery. Well, Dad passed away last month, so that won't happen. In fact, he was in hospice when the CARB dam broke and the first Emira were being delivered to customers.

So if you're working with Gator, please let me know what you've heard about your Emira. If you've taken delivery, please post a pic and share the date you took delivery.

View attachment 41322
My deposit was August 2021 I think. I just missed the cutoff for FE1.0, so mine is a 2.0. Hethel Yellow.

Idalee07

Reaction score
My deposit was 8/18/21, and your story is oh so similar to mine. My dad is still around but isn’t doing well. He has been “saving up his energy” for a few months to go with me and pick up my car since carb approval happened. My car arrived on 12/29/23. I was told by Tony that I’d likely be able to get my car this month but then later that reverted to the vague no date timeline.

ManOfSteel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

View attachment 41322
I'm a July 9 2021 depositor. On February 1, 2022 I was told I didn't make the cut for Gator's FE1.0 allocation, but was told I was 2nd in line if people backed out. March 17 Tony P confirmed a couple earlier depositors backed out and I increased my deposit to 10%, locking in my spec. Checking the VIN for the car in Gator's inventory that matches my spec I learned it arrived in the US in December 2023. Gator has stopped answering the telephone and will not reply to emails, I'm assuming due to the CRUSH of people like me wanting an update. Through back-channel communication I understand I'll get my car "soon", but I have no idea what "soon" means. Christmastime as a 4 year old wasn't this hard!

SSJAR

Reaction score

View attachment 41322
@Life411, sorry to hear about your Dad. I had a somewhat similar experience. I am in Maryland but my folks lived in Cincinnati and my Dad was always a car guy, I had heard good things about Gator so went with them so when I did pick up the car, I could share the process with him. He passed last summer, who would have known it was going to be years before the cars were delivered in the US...

I am a little behind the folks in this thread, initial deposit in December 2021, finalized the configuration and placed $10K deposit December, 2023. Told production will be in April, with delivery in May/June.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 41322
Sorry about your loss. You gave him that smile, something that comes with Emira ownership. For you, soon.

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My deposit was 8/18/21, and your story is oh so similar to mine. My dad is still around but isn’t doing well. He has been “saving up his energy” for a few months to go with me and pick up my car since carb approval happened. My car arrived on 12/29/23. I was told by Tony that I’d likely be able to get my car this month but then later that reverted to the vague no date timeline.
Reading through the responses so far, I'm surprised how many of us have similar stories like this. I guess it's natural we share the car things with our dads. I know I got my love of cars from him. Hope things work out and you and your Dad can pick up your Emira soon!

Btw, I got similar messaging. My car was supposed to be delivered April, then was told "production is ahead of schedule, so maybe March," now the long silence with no real information. What I don't understand is that if they're so busy delivering cars, more of us should have our cars. This situation was predictable and there is a lot they (Gator and Lotus NA) could have done to staff up to make this move faster and better.

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm a July 9 2021 depositor. On February 1, 2022 I was told I didn't make the cut for Gator's FE1.0 allocation, but was told I was 2nd in line if people backed out. March 17 Tony P confirmed a couple earlier depositors backed out and I increased my deposit to 10%, locking in my spec. Checking the VIN for the car in Gator's inventory that matches my spec I learned it arrived in the US in December 2023. Gator has stopped answering the telephone and will not reply to emails, I'm assuming due to the CRUSH of people like me wanting an update. Through back-channel communication I understand I'll get my car "soon", but I have no idea what "soon" means. Christmastime as a 4 year old wasn't this hard!
I hear you. I've got to say though that I've got a life principle that applies here. Excuses only go so far. At a certain point they just don't matter a whit and that's where I am with this situation. Gator, for example, could have hired someone with admin skills to handle phone calls and emails and "gasp!" proactively communicate! They can't keep blaming Lotus Cars for everything.

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Life411, sorry to hear about your Dad. I had a somewhat similar experience. I am in Maryland but my folks lived in Cincinnati and my Dad was always a car guy, I had heard good things about Gator so went with them so when I did pick up the car, I could share the process with him. He passed last summer, who would have known it was going to be years before the cars were delivered in the US...

I am a little behind the folks in this thread, initial deposit in December 2021, finalized the configuration and placed $10K deposit December, 2023. Told production will be in April, with delivery in May/June.
Sorry for your loss. I can empathize because it hasn't been easy for me. My cousin has experienced a lot of loss and told me "you will feel it most when there is something you would normally share with your Dad, but can't." Have you found that to be the case?

I already know what my first Emira personalized plate will be, but when I change it a year from now I'm seriously considering "FOR DAD"

Again, sorry for your loss.

TurnerAtGator

Reaction score
Good morning all.

I wanted to touch base here and try to smooth things out a little bit.

First and foremost, please let me say; as a car enthusiast, I absolutely sympathize with your situations. All of us have different boats we're in, and I understand that taking delivery of a car can sometimes take a lot of planning, and can be very stressful. For those of you who have lost family during this waiting period, you have my condolences.

The good news is; we're still taking shipments of new cars for customers frequently. There are cars in service and detail right now, and we made several deliveries last week as well. I'll provide pictures as well so you guys know the cars are real and actually coming in and out.

I don't have a ton of information for you guys on a lot of these questions. I'm purely reaching out because I check on these forums each day, and I don't want you guys to be left without communication at all, even if there are no updates. I don't have all the answers about the delivery process for the new cars. That has been Tony-exclusive up until last week when we took on a new-hire. There is a process and an order in which these deliveries are taking place, and the specifics on that I just don't have either. If I don't give you a timeline for your car, it's just simply because I don't have that info.

As you all are definitely aware by now, Tony is swamped. Every time I see him throughout the day, he's doing titlework, hands-on with a customer, or doing something to get these cars out as quick as he can, and yet still making sure the cars are as perfect as we can make them.

Please let me make this clear. I do not want any of you left in the dark. Communication is incredibly important, and I truly, sincerely apologize if I can't answer your questions.

I'm going to end this on a high-note. Your cars are real, they exist, and they are worth the wait. The Emira is a fantastic car, with an unfortunate situation that has surrounded this whole experience. The car, and the driving experience is still exactly what it should be. I have a list for everyone who has reached out to me, and I check on the status of your cars every day. I'm doing everything I can to make sure you all get your cars and get to experience what Lotus is still about!

Respectfully,

Turner

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I took delivery on 3/29. Great experience with no issues.

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Good morning all.

First and foremost, please let me say; as a car enthusiast, I absolutely sympathize with your situations. All of us have different boats we're in, and I understand that taking delivery of a car can sometimes take a lot of planning, and can be very stressful. For those of you who have lost family during this waiting period, you have my condolences.

The good news is; we're still taking shipments of new cars for customers frequently. There are cars in service and detail right now, and we made several deliveries last week as well. I'll provide pictures as well so you guys know the cars are real and actually coming in and out.

I don't have a ton of information for you guys on a lot of these questions. I'm purely reaching out because I check on these forums each day, and I don't want you guys to be left without communication at all, even if there are no updates. I don't have all the answers about the delivery process for the new cars. That has been Tony-exclusive up until last week when we took on a new-hire. There is a process and an order in which these deliveries are taking place, and the specifics on that I just don't have either. If I don't give you a timeline for your car, it's just simply because I don't have that info.

As you all are definitely aware by now, Tony is swamped. Every time I see him throughout the day, he's doing titlework, hands-on with a customer, or doing something to get these cars out as quick as he can, and yet still making sure the cars are as perfect as we can make them.

Please let me make this clear. I do not want any of you left in the dark. Communication is incredibly important, and I truly, sincerely apologize if I can't answer your questions.

I'm going to end this on a high-note. Your cars are real, they exist, and they are worth the wait. The Emira is a fantastic car, with an unfortunate situation that has surrounded this whole experience. The car, and the driving experience is still exactly what it should be. I have a list for everyone who has reached out to me, and I check on the status of your cars every day. I'm doing everything I can to make sure you all get your cars and get to experience what Lotus is still about!

Respectfully,

Turner
Turner, I appreciate you trying to help, but saying there is a process you can't share and that you can't answer any of our questions is not actually helpful. There are answers to these questions and it would not take much time to extract them from Tony and share them with us and all Gator's Emira deposit holders. Explain the delivery process and order of car delivery. And something as simple as what I posted yesterday on a weekly basis...

I'd like to know how long the list of customers waiting on their Emiras is, which cars (if any) they've delivered and what # in that list they represent, how many they're delivering each week, etc. It could all be kept anonymous...just car spec, status and # in line. Something like this ordered list:
  1. Hethel Yellow 1.0 Delivered 4/1/24
  2. Magma Red 1.0 Port Processing
  3. Vivid Red 2.0 Delivered 3/30/24
  4. etc.

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I took delivery on 3/29. Great experience with no issues.
Congrats! FE 1 or 2? When did you place your deposit? Do you know when yours was manufactured, shipped, etc.? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

TurnerAtGator

Reaction score
Good morning all.

Respectfully,

Turner

Attachments

• 6V4A0071.jpg
    6V4A0071.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 6V4A9987.jpg
    6V4A9987.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240412_114412.jpg
    20240412_114412.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240412_114850.jpg
    20240412_114850.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20240417_090755.jpg
    20240417_090755.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 80

ToonFan

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Turner, I appreciate you trying to help, but saying there is a process you can't share and that you can't answer any of our questions is not actually helpful. There are answers to these questions and it would not take much time to extract them from Tony and share them with us and all Gator's Emira deposit holders. Explain the delivery process and order of car delivery. And something as simple as what I posted yesterday on a weekly basis...

I'd like to know how long the list of customers waiting on their Emiras is, which cars (if any) they've delivered and what # in that list they represent, how many they're delivering each week, etc. It could all be kept anonymous...just car spec, status and # in line. Something like this ordered list:
  1. Hethel Yellow 1.0 Delivered 4/1/24
  2. Magma Red 1.0 Port Processing
  3. Vivid Red 2.0 Delivered 3/30/24
  4. etc.
I don't think you should expect them to provide you with details unrelated to your specific order. If you know your car is stateside and are simply waiting for the call to make a trip and bring your baby home you are almost there. Pushing the dealer chasing to get over the line with the transaction in my opinion dilutes the experience. I've been on the hook only a year for my 4 pot but have to wait possibly another year due to last November's update. I was supposed to get mine in the next couple of months. I get the urgency as you are so close but the weather is only just starting to hit Spring!

Drambeenie

Reaction score
My car once it arrives to the port will be headed to Gator. Really hoping I don't have to wait an additional 2+ months to get it.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Deposit was May 2021. Been a rough road with Lotus, but Gator has been great. I drove 700ish miles there and spent the weekend with family. It was a great experience and they were nothing short of professional and granted my requests to sit in all their vehicles that I wanted to. And I am sure they would have let me test drive it if I had asked, but I was on a tight schedule.

I ended up getting it delivered since I wasnt able to secure my own carrier and a few weeks later it was delivered at the perfect time. My Elise sold the day prior to my Emira arriving. You are in good hands.

Car hit stateside in December...Was able to see the vehicle in March and got it delivered in April I think, or late March.
Lotus Emira Ediited.jpg

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I heard Tony is having a well earned week off, and they are currently training a new salesman, so that would explain the delays.

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Jan 2022 Deposit
Dec 2023 Order Confirmation (FE 2.0) and additional Deposit
No additional meaningful updates from Gator since.

I made a contact at the factory in Hethel when I toured. He told me my car was schedule to start production 19 April.

Last edited:

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We were #1 on the list at Gator for a FE 6spd and took delivery on March 10th(including shipping time to Reno)
Also #5 and #7 on the list I believe they were took delivery on March 10th and March 18th after shipping to Reno also.
Doesnt really help much with your situation but everything came together quickly once the car was able to be sold on ours.
I think they are spread thin and responses/updates are tough to get because of that.
When we were all used to the best communication from really any Lotus dealer in the country and then they get buried like this it comes as a surprise when we dont get that same level of service.