Suspension: Touring and Sports options

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is an interesting tyre review that may be of interest.

The Michelin 4S is somewhat similar to the Goodyear F1 SS. You can see the change from understeer to more oversteer between the road tyres and Cup2s and how much more the road-focused tyres deform under heavy lateral load.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Sports - For the track rats
Touring - For the road pussy cats
;)
I was thinking (justifying) a name change here.

Sport - rename to Track.
Touring - rename to Road.

Since mine will never see a Track I went for the pussy cat set-up… :)

#ForTheKittens

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was thinking (justifying) a name change here.

Sport - rename to Track.
Touring - rename to Road.

Since mine will never see a Track I went for the pussy cat set-up… :)

#ForTheKittens
I agree about renaming and I mentioned it in my suspension write up to try and help people understand the differences:

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What should we call Sport + Goodyears?

#fortheconfused
Splouring?
Tourt?

In the Cheetah/Lion analogy, maybe it's Very Professional Taxidermy Lion.
1655903843426.png

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well shit…

This entire time, I thought Lotus was using the Goodyear F1 SC3 like the ones on my Camaro. They are a great all around road and track tire that’s relatively inexpensive.
They work extremely well as a dual purpose tire but you have to take it easy on wet roads. They can be dangerous there.

Anyway, now knowing that Lotus is using the cheaper SS tire which I believe is an all-season tire, I’m going to change my setup.

I’ll start by ordering sport suspension plus Goodyears SS. Once worn down, I’ll upgrade to the stickier summer Goodyear sc3. It’ll be cheaper than the Michelin sport cups but also a little less sticky which hopefully will equate to more fun.

If there’s any understeer, adjusting front toe should remedy that. The trick will be to adjust toe out enough to remove understeer but not too much where it becomes twitchy or darty and dangerous.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well shit…

This entire time, I thought Lotus was using the Goodyear F1 SC3 like the ones on my Camaro. They are a great all around road and track tire that’s relatively inexpensive.
They work extremely well as a dual purpose tire but you have to take it easy on wet roads. They can be dangerous there.

Anyway, now knowing that Lotus is using the cheaper SS tire which I believe is an all-season tire, I’m going to change my setup.

I’ll start by ordering sport suspension plus Goodyears SS. Once worn down, I’ll upgrade to the stickier summer Goodyear sc3. It’ll be cheaper than the Michelin sport cups but also a little less sticky which hopefully will equate to more fun.

If there’s any understeer, adjusting front toe should remedy that. The trick will be to adjust toe out enough to remove understeer but not too much where it becomes twitchy or darty and dangerous.
It is indeed the Goodyear F1 Supersport tire, it is a summer tire and not an all-season tire. This would be a competitor to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which is a great balanced summer tire.

The supercar3s would be a cup2 competitor.

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For all the negativity about the Goodyear SS tyre, it's by far one of the best uhp road tyres you can have for the emira.

Unless you only drive in warm and dry conditions, the cup2s can be lethal. Anything cold and/ or wet and the cup2 tyres feel like driving on plastic. I'm sure some of you are actually track gods who either only drive on dry tracks or live in California or the south of Spain. But if you intend on driving the car in anything other than perfect conditions, you'll hate the cup2s on the road. If you're talented enough you can get them hot enough on track in cold weather, but good luck to the mass majority on the road.

The SS (and more importantly the same uhp road category) is definitely the most appropriate choice for the mass majority who will drive their car in variable weather and mainly on the road.

To be frank, I'd only get the cup2s if you're only doing track driving or only intend on driving on bone dry roads, mainly in the warm.

The SC3 is the same category as the cup2. It would be pretty moronic for lotus to not offer a tyre that caters for more than perfect conditions...

Last edited:

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It is indeed the Goodyear F1 Supersport tire, it is a summer tire and not an all-season tire. This would be a competitor to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which is a great balanced summer tire.

The supercar3s would be a cup2 competitor.
Being that we live in California and I don’t intend to drive in the rain, unless accidentally, I think the Goodyear SC3 would be the perfect tire.

It comes in Emira sizes too!

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Being that we live in California and I don’t intend to drive in the rain, unless accidentally, I think the Goodyear SC3 would be the perfect tire.

It comes in Emira sizes too!
The cup2 is your choice then, it's equivalent to the SC3.

It makes no sense for lotus to offer the SC3 instead of the SS from the factory though. As useful as it would be for you, it would be far less useful the the other 90% of the world and emira drivers.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For all the negativity about the Goodyear SS tyre, it's by far one of the best uhp road tyres you can have for the emira.

Unless you only drive in warm and dry conditions, the cup2s can be lethal. Anything cold and/ or wet and the cup2 tyres feel like driving on plastic. I'm sure some of you are actually track gods who either only drive on dry tracks or live in California or the south of Spain. But if you intend on driving the car in anything other than perfect conditions, you'll hate the cup2s on the road. If you're talented enough you can get them hot enough on track in cold weather, but good luck to the mass majority on the road.

The SS (and more importantly the same uhp road category) is definitely the most appropriate choice for the mass majority who will drive their car in variable weather and mainly on the road.

To be frank, I'd only get the cup2s if you're only doing track driving or only intend on driving on bone dry roads, mainly in the warm.

Agreed on the cup 2s -- even as a track rat I don't like them. I live an hour from Sonoma raceway and an hour from Laguna seca and go to both regularly -- not a god but even then I'm still not opting for 20" cup2s at the track, have to consider running costs.

Most of the track tires last me 3 days at the track.

20" Cup2s amortized at ~$700/day
18" Nankang AR-1 amortized at ~ $420/day
18" Toyo RRs amortized at ~ $380/day

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The cup2 is your choice then, it's equivalent to the SC3.

It makes no sense for lotus to offer the SC3 instead of the SS from the factory though. As useful as it would be for you, it would be far less useful the the other 90% of the world and emira drivers.
I can’t argue that. Very valid point