Suspension: Touring and Sports options

centerpunch

Reaction score
LOL, the Emira tour and Emira sport would be basically touching.
Uh, no they wouldn't, at least according to the Harry's Garage vid. (I've only driven a sport, and only briefly on nice roads).

Although the tour and sport spring rates are almost identical, the shocks are valved very differently, and apparently the two suspension options feel very different when driven back to back.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a chart comparing the Emira choices to Evora and Cayman? Seems doable.

(NOTE: I just made up the attached chart as an example of what a real chart might look like.)
View attachment 10811

I agree it would be good to have a comparison with previous Lotus cars and other marques. It's not as simple as a one-dimensional scale called "stiffness" though, but it serves a purpose.

My view on the Evoras and Emiras would be something like:
  • Evora NA (Series 1) - most compliant
  • Evora S -> closest to Emira Touring
  • Evora 400
  • Evora GT410 (US GT) -> closest to Emira Sports
  • Evora GT410 Sport
  • Evora GT430/GT430 Sport (with Ohlins on standard road setup)

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Anyone that has driven a Evora GT410 and the Emira Sport made a comparison between the two? I don't believe I have seen it in the drive review thread. I am sure Tom will have this covered when he goes for his mega test drives later on next month.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Anyone that has driven a Evora GT410 and the Emira Sport made a comparison between the two? I don't believe I have seen it in the drive review thread. I am sure Tom will have this covered when he goes for his mega test drives later on next month.
I have.... but I refuse to tell you anything, its really none of your business and I think you... sorry, thought I was talking to someone else there for a minute.
As a very fast (pun intended) comparison, the Evora feels quite a bit more raw and viseral. It feels faster in virtually every way, but that should come as NO surprise, lighter, looser engine, higher redline. In terms of firmness of the suspension, its VERY hard to say....I'd say similar and if those that can tell the difference between every wine ever made, every hifi system in existence, every mattress produced, want to add their 2p worth go ahead, but in layman's terms, no discernible difference.
I am now a bit passed all these comparisons, even to the porsche cayman. People will buy the car they prefer, not which is the best in reality. Porsche is better in 4/5 categories, BUT that WONT stop people going for the Emira as it will be the "other" option for those that dont want the porsche, simple.
However, for those that want to save a bit of money and dont care too much about looks, the Evora makes a great buy. I am still amazed at those who compare the Alpine to it. I respect their opinions, but there is for me no comparison to be had. One sounds like a real sports car and looks almost dangerous ... the other sounds like Jeremy's hair dryer and looks like a car half way through the design process, but then they thought, oh well, bugger it, that will do...
Sorry, Im bored at my service appt awaiting my Ironic 5 to be given back to me so I can then go and drop a case of wine into the porsche dealer close by, you NEVER know what the future holds.... although on the 11th of december I have an idea what I will be holding from colombia.... if allowed.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
People will buy the car they prefer, not which is the best in reality. Porsche is better in 4/5 categories, BUT that WONT stop people going for the Emira as it will be the "other" option for those that dont want the porsche, simple.

This sums it up perfectly. I too have grown tired of the comparisons. People need to just drive all the options and get what suits them best. No point in constantly comparing numbers. Just get what makes you happy and excited. For me, it's the Lotus.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This sums it up perfectly. I too have grown tired of the comparisons. People need to just drive all the options and get what suits them best. No point in constantly comparing numbers. Just get what makes you happy and excited. For me, it's the Lotus.
Yes but which Lotus? And which suspension?
😀

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

For anyone UK-based, undecided and not locked in yet, £450 now gets you a track drive in cars with both suspension options on the same day with a factory tour as well......
That’ll be half useful. The other half is to drive both variants on a UK road ;)

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That’ll be half useful. The other half is to drive both variants on a UK road ;)
Perhaps they'll let people run them both round the new shake and rattle track too....... :ROFLMAO:

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Easy! The Emira Final Edition with adjustable suspension, carbon and exciting colors. 😉
That’s where my thoughts are heading! The question is what to drive in the meantime - Emira First Edition or Evora GT410 or GT430.

SPoivre

Reaction score
Looks like it's time to start an online forum to swap springs and dampers. Anybody want to trade me the parts for a touring setup for my sport? I'll throw in $10 and shipping!

I'm only kidding...so don't PM me!