• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Stock Emira Wheels and Tires

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Don't know about your winters, but both tire options are completely unable to cope with winter conditions. The Cup 2s aren't even working in the rain. I regularly see Porsche GT3s on the Autobahn driving 60 kp/h in the rain while some of the normal cars are still driving at speeds north of 200 kp/h. The Goodyears have no problem with rain, but if it get's cold, slippery or even snowy, then you are completely done and should better park your car.

So the only difference between the tires is rain? I am still interested in the temperature rating for the Goodyears.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So the only difference between the tires is rain? I am still interested in the temperature rating for the Goodyears.
Given the F1 tyre is specific compound and make up for the Emira it will differ but as a general rule of thumb, 'summer tyres' (which here refers to all tyres which are not specifically labelled 'winter tyres') temps above 7C are ok for 'normal' tyres - its recommended below 7C people switch to 'winter tyres', in the UK this isnt very common but in large parts of Europe its the law during certain months.

"When temperatures drop below 7 degrees Celsius, the rubber compounds found in normal tires begins to harden"

The Eagle F1 also has normal tread pattern so will disperse water much better than the Cup tyres. Cup tyres require decent heat in themselves and the road, when cold they're just very unpleasent to be driving.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
i will change my order for Eagle then.

i had ordered Pilot, since I use Michelin Pilot Sport 5 in my DB9 and they are ok with rain.
Didn´t realize Sport Cup is much more extreme, and don't work with rain, which we have a lot in North Spain.
Not worried in my case about the cold, since rarely we go below 10 deg Celsius.

thanks a lot for the information.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
i will change my order for Eagle then.

i had ordered Pilot, since I use Michelin Pilot Sport 5 in my DB9 and they are ok with rain.
Didn´t realize Sport Cup is much more extreme, and don't work with rain, which we have a lot in North Spain.
Not worried in my case about the cold, since rarely we go below 10 deg Celsius.

thanks a lot for the information.
They are a track tire. I use them on my GT4, they have immense grip, but they don't handle the rain very well at all. Let alone cold temperatures. My GT4 becomes snappy during late Canada fall months (october/november)

Are the tire dimensions in the first post confirmed?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Depends how cold "cold" is for you. The Goodyears will be fine down to about 7 degrees, then will be less effective the more the temperature drops. If your winter temperatures are routinely below 7 degrees for several months and it's a daily driver you're safer switching to a winter compound.

The Cup2s need care if it's wet or cold and personally I wouldn't use on a road car if I thought I might get caught a long way from home in heavy rain.

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm really looking forward to fitting some Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 for some winter road trips to the Alps and Norway. Don't mind a slight delay in production to allow for some teething problems to be sorted on early cars.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
So based on what's been posted I think I may have not understood the tire situation. So it looks like people will fit the Emira with winter tires that aren't bespoke to the Emira. Therefore I can get a winter tire of the correct size and be OK. For the best performance especially in temps above 7 degrees you want to go with the bespoke Cups and Goodyears?

I thought you should only run the bespoke tires with the car, but I guess that's not the case. I assume people will use other race/performance tires other than the bespoke ones? Feel free to give me a full explanation, I am new to the bespoke tire situation.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus are ride and handling experts. They spend hours of testing to select the suspension components, tyre manufacturer and compounds. For previous cars that often means a Lotus-specific version of a tyre and that's also the case for Emira, both the Goodyears and the more track-focused Michelins. So yes, for best performance above 7 degrees you want to use one of these Lotus-specific tyres. People will of course try alternatives and potentially say they are better in some way - I tend to trust the judgement of the team that spent 2 years fine tuning the setup, as tyres are a key component of overall ride and handling.

In winter you're more concerned about safety than performance and R&H. So Lotus tend to recommend a winter tyre that isn't a Lotus-specific design, but they will still recommend a particular brand/model of tyre. I haven't seen anything about recommendations for the Emira but for Evora it was Yokohama W-Drive. You can generally fit any winter tyre of the correct size and rating as an alternative.

Useful info here on winter tyres on an Evora if you're less familiar:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Lotus are ride and handling experts. They spend hours of testing to select the suspension components, tyre manufacturer and compounds. For previous cars that often means a Lotus-specific version of a tyre and that's also the case for Emira, both the Goodyears and the more track-focused Michelins. So yes, for best performance above 7 degrees you want to use one of these Lotus-specific tyres. People will of course try alternatives and potentially say they are better in some way - I tend to trust the judgement of the team that spent 2 years fine tuning the setup, as tyres are a key component of overall ride and handling.

In winter you're more concerned about safety than performance and R&H. So Lotus tend to recommend a winter tyre that isn't a Lotus-specific design, but they will still recommend a particular brand/model of tyre. I haven't seen anything about recommendations for the Emira but for Evora it was Yokohama W-Drive. You can generally fit any winter tyre of the correct size and rating as an alternative.

Useful info here on winter tyres on an Evora if you're less familiar:

Exactly what I needed as I didn't understand this correctly. I will research the Yokos and visit the link. I don't see a need for the Cups at this point. My track skills aren't there yet. I am upset that you didn't use the word bespoke which I just learned from this car and can't stop saying. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Golfer1971

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specs on the stock wheel options (weight?)

The stock tires appear to be 245/35/20 in the front and 295/30/20 in the rear.

What will be the size for the alloys exactly? Is there a difference in size between front and rear?
The reason I'm asking is because I want to get another set of rims/alloys to put a set of winter tires on it.

Any recommendations for winter tires in Emira sizes?

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
1643369337559.png

This will work. no need to choose caliper color!

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What will be the size for the alloys exactly? Is there a difference in size between front and rear?
The reason I'm asking is because I want to get another set of rims/alloys to put a set of winter tires on it.

Any recommendations for winter tires in Emira sizes?
what is your question exactly? You want specs like width and offset of front/rear wheels?

You can assume the width of the rims are going to be different front to back by the width of the tires and you already know front and rear are going to be 20 inches rims from the tire size (and multiple videos as well).

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's what I mean!
Wheel size is currently listed on Lotus' website: 20x8.5" front and 20x10" rear.

I don't think offsets or bolt patterns are publicly known yet, but the Evora GT specs might give you an approximation if you expect it to be similar: 5x114.5 and ET55 front/ET69 rear. I wouldn't count on the offsets being the same personally.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I live in California and the winters usually don't fall below 10C and we don't see much rain. I don't plan to track my car but it isn't a daily driver either. I'm really conflicted. Will the Cups be too harsh of a ride in 10-15C weather for spirited around-town driving? But I also cringe at anything described as All-Weather. More concerned with decent grip that isn't bone-jarring. Equally torn between Sport and Touring. I have an F-Type now and mostly always have it in the more aggressive 'Dynamic' mode for tighter steering and handling. But the roads SUCK around my home and I don't want the side view mirrors shaking off my Emira in only a couple of years. My initial instinct was that Touring would still handle great and Sport would be regrettably harsh. But will the steering be tight and responsive enough w Touring? Will the Touring Emira handle offramps as well/better than my F-Type in Dynamic mode? Thoughts?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I live in California and the winters usually don't fall below 10C and we don't see much rain. I don't plan to track my car but it isn't a daily driver either. I'm really conflicted. Will the Cups be too harsh of a ride in 10-15C weather for spirited around-town driving? But I also cringe at anything described as All-Weather. More concerned with decent grip that isn't bone-jarring. Equally torn between Sport and Touring. I have an F-Type now and mostly always have it in the more aggressive 'Dynamic' mode for tighter steering and handling. But the roads SUCK around my home and I don't want the side view mirrors shaking off my Emira in only a couple of years. My initial instinct was that Touring would still handle great and Sport would be regrettably harsh. But will the steering be tight and responsive enough w Touring? Will the Touring Emira handle offramps as well/better than my F-Type in Dynamic mode? Thoughts?

I was told Sports with the Goodyears won't be as harsh as Sports with the Cups so that may be another option for you. Mine isn't a daily either, so I am doing Sports with the Goodyears.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was told Sports with the Goodyears won't be as harsh as Sports with the Cups so that may be another option for you. Mine isn't a daily either, so I am doing Sports with the Goodyears.
I didnt know we could order Sports w Goodyear. Thought it automatically came fitted w Cups. If we can I like that option

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Balboa based on the info we have I would say you're best bet is sports with good years. The f1s are better than ps4s at what's going on through the wheel. They are definitely not all seasons by any means. If anything they're right in between ps4s and sport cup 2