• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

So is it a great car?

Vanman1936

Reaction score
Newbie here. Go easy.

Deposit down for an early FE V6 manual, sports suspension / Goodyear tyres.

Reviews seem caveated positive to positive….but lots of keyboard warrior vs Cayman GTXX stuff.

Where are people landing having read what’s out there?

For me, still seems like a slice of exotic for carrot cake (relative) money….perhaps not perfect, but mini supercar looks and very good dynamics.

Still a believer, but it’s the first new car I have bought and don’t want to get burnt.

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Completely agree with evotion it’s no super car it’s just sexy and a great price . Will be fun and handle well enough for the roads! Just enjoy it 👌🏽. Plus it’s different and what else can you buy for £80k that is remotely as sexy or cool as this . Nothing at all ..

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't think anyone here has questioned if the car for 75K GPB is good value. It most certainly is. @Tommyboy1986 and @Evotion covered why it has good value. A lot of the debate on the forums revolve's around which spec touring/sport, build quality and consistency and worries about Lotus being able to handle the demand with enough care. My gripe was knowing they could have shoved a bit more power and a bit better seats. But that version is coming. It's the one I want.

I have no doubt that the Emira is a success. The demand and current 2 year wait list should tell you that. Is it going to light the competition on fire ( cayman GTS 4.0), no it's not. But that is a very very good car. It will be unique and different. Probably a lot cooler too.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Completely agree with evotion it’s no super car it’s just sexy and a great price . Will be fun and handle well enough for the roads! Just enjoy it 👌🏽. Plus it’s different and what else can you buy for £80k that is remotely as sexy or cool as this . Nothing at all ..

Here in the states there's just nothing else offered in manual transmission and mid-engine, except the Caymans. I'm sure it'll be an awesome car.. Just hope we don't have a lot of first year bugs to deal with and Lotus better step up their comms game. Customer retention is important!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Here in the states there's just nothing else offered in manual transmission and mid-engine, except the Caymans. I'm sure it'll be an awesome car.. Just hope we don't have a lot of first year bugs to deal with and Lotus better step up their comms game. Customer retention is important!

This can't be stated enough. I don't have a ton of experience with a lot of cars. Never driven a Porsche or M3 for example. This mid-engine, manual car will certainly be the greatest car I have ever owned. But overall I agree with the sentiment of this thread.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My feeling on the matter is angst is based on how much car you can afford. For me $85k is super max, so you can imagine an Emira (or C8) will be my car pinnacle. I’ll be super pumped for either. But the Lotus alum are perhaps freaking out much more, as I would be if this was my 3rd or 4rth. I’m also feeling the track guys are a bit sad. I’m a GT car guy and I think Lotus had me in mind when they designed the Emira, which makes me special.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My feeling on the matter is angst is based on how much car you can afford. For me $85k is super max, so you can imagine an Emira (or C8) will be my car pinnacle. I’ll be super pumped for either. But the Lotus alum are perhaps freaking out much more, as I would be if this was my 3rd or 4rth. I’m also feeling the track guys are a bit sad. I’m a GT car guy and I think Lotus had me in mind when they designed the Emira, which makes me special.
I am kind of thinking the opposite, I feel like when this is close to your max you have a lot of anxiety about it being extremely good and the absolute best choice. If it is my third or fourth, I may not care so much cuz I still have other options!

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I am kind of thinking the opposite, I feel like when this is close to your max you have a lot of anxiety about it being extremely good and the absolute best choice. If it is my third or fourth, I may not care so much cuz I still have other options!
A valid point. I guess personally it’s based on thankfulness

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't know if the Lotus can be an ultimate car for 80-100k. There are probably better cars for that choice, like the C8 or a Cayman. The Emira is a particular flavor of car. Personally, if I could have only one car for this price range, I would place an order for the new C63. That is what would give me the most "car" for this level of money. The reason I am drawn to the Emira is because I can wave off it's idiosyncrasies. A lot of things that would frustrate you as a primary car is simply inconsequential if the Emira is the 3rd or 4th car.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Even though I have spec’d sport/cup2 combo, it is 99% street car for me. It’s good to know that I can beat it up on a track, but the car’s abilities will easily exceed mine.

I’m not worried at all about the performance and harsh reviews. Maybe it’s greatest strength is when driven up to 8 or 9/10, and I’m totally fine with that. IMO, Emira is a street car that can be tracked. Not a car made first for the track.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
That's the first place I will be going.
Will you go with me if I cave to a C8? Saw a white coupe an hour go the road presence is impossible to ignore. I have to get some Emira seat time real soon or I’m putting in the 5k deposit.

M8HUj0D.jpg

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Even though I have spec’d sport/cup2 combo, it is 99% street car for me. It’s good to know that I can beat it up on a track, but the car’s abilities will easily exceed mine.

I’m not worried at all about the performance and harsh reviews. Maybe it’s greatest strength is when driven up to 8 or 9/10, and I’m totally fine with that. IMO, Emira is a street car that can be tracked. Not a car made first for the track.
I don't know if the Lotus can be an ultimate car for 80-100k. There are probably better cars for that choice, like the C8 or a Cayman. The Emira is a particular flavor of car. Personally, if I could have only one car for this price range, I would place an order for the new C63. That is what would give me the most "car" for this level of money. The reason I am drawn to the Emira is because I can wave off it's idiosyncrasies. A lot of things that would frustrate you as a primary car is simply inconsequential if the Emira is the 3rd or 4th car.
Can it get up and down the dragon? Yes? GOOD
Definitely yes on the dragon. Phenomenal road to push the Emira

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Newbie here. Go easy.

Reviews seem caveated positive to positive….but lots of keyboard warrior vs Cayman GTXX stuff.

For me, still seems like a slice of exotic for carrot cake (relative) money….perhaps not perfect, but mini supercar looks and very good dynamics.

Still a believer, but it’s the first new car I have bought and don’t want to get burnt.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your deposit.

Lotus develops great-handling and engaging drivers cars, particularly suited to UK roads. The Emira continues that lineage.

It’s a big step forward from previous Lotus models in many other areas, where previously they were weak spots. Looks, interior design and materials, access, daily usability. And value for money. Very few alternatives in the price range if you want a great manual sportscar.

Plus random strangers will stop to chat to you about the car, car enthusiasts will nod knowingly at your choice, other drivers will let you out of side roads and move over to let you through on highways.

If you decide you don’t like it, there’s an 18-month queue of people who’ll gladly buy it off you.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Newbie here. Go easy.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your order!

Here's my take on it. First, although it looks like a supercar, it isn't. A super car has super looks, super power, and it's super expensive. The Emira has the looks, but not the power or the cost.

Something else super cars have is a super suspension and handling, and in that regard, the Emira punches above its weight. Double wishbone suspension, huge brakes, hydraulic steering, plenty of power with super handling for the street, and conveniences for daily use or travel. For what it's designed for, a stunning looking sports car for the street that starts at £59,995, it's a lot of car for the money.

Super cars are expensive to maintain. The Emira, with a Toyota powertrain is going to be a whole lot better in that regard, along with the reliability of a Toyota.

For those who want a manual, it has that too, which for me is a HUGE plus.

It's going to look exotic, with an exotic marque, and be different in a sea of commonality. I've seen C8's, there are a few running around town, and while they look pretty good from the front, from the side and especially the back, ugh. German cars are a dime a dozen around here, they're so common they're almost invisible. Nothing is going to look like an Emira.

As a great, exotic looking mid-engine sports car with power and handling that's more than enough for the street, there's just nothing else out there at that price point that can compete with it. It's a Lotus so there are some compromises; there aren't dealers in every town, but if you're willing to put up with some of those kinds of things that go along with owning a rare sports car, you're going to be in a very special car.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Comparing stats is important, but the way I look at it is this: the Emira is 1 of 2 options for buying a new, manual, mid-engined car. If all those factors are important to you, the looks, exclusivity, and proven reliability (specifically of the drivetrain components) outweigh a GTS. If one or more of those factors can be left behind for you, then there are better performers for the money, honestly. If I didn't care about engine placement, I'd probably get a manual Supra.

I also ride motorcycles, so for me the stats are important but not the be-all end-all. I plan to also buy another used bike for less than $10k that can blow just about any car under $300k off the road in a straight line, with even more of a thrill than an open-top supercar. If raw performance for money is the goal, superbikes are the way to go. That is not the purpose of focus for most buyers of an Emira.

Just remember you can buy a quarter-million dollar flashy car, and some kid on a second-hand crotch rocket he got from saving paychecks from his part time job at taco bell can be ahead of you up until about 165 mph. Numbers aren't everything!

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Welcome to the emotional rollercoaster!

I'm going to pipe up for the I-like-flappy-paddles-so-bite-me cohort of the forum (relax, I still love all y'all dinosaurs! :D 🏃‍♂️ ), and say that I think the i4/DCT is also going to be a cracker in terms of value. I get the appeal of the manual, but I feel like part of what is chafing at some people/reviewers is that the drivetrain has been "done before"... I'm really hanging on tenterhooks to see what this car is like with a drivetrain that also matches the modern definition of "mini supercar". Not least because that is the configuration I'm signed up for :)

In all configurations, despite all the production drama and "so frustrating" reviews, I have this niggling feeling that the Emira is still going to be a car that makes you smile when you roll out of the driveway to wherever you are heading. And if something about it doesn't quite scratch the itch, that's when you activate your Man-Math Powers (yes, even the ladies here have them secretly) to justify a few modifications to make it Perfect ™️ :)

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It depends on your criterion of 'a good car '. Let me give you an example, let's say Ferrari 360. It is an old and classic car, however, If you look at it by today's standards, it has many flaws. For people who love this car, it will be everlasting classic and good.