Compromises

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am relatively new to the forum but been watching from afar (placed deposit April 2022, not due to lack of interest sooner), but wanted to get some feedback from others. It seems like there have been a lot of individually small compromises that have come out with the Emira over time that alone are not easy to write off, but together are substantial. 400 instead of 416 horsepower, probably negligible to even an above average driver. 6800 vs 7000 rpm redline, probably not a huge deal. Slightly softened steering feel, still very good. A bit heavier than most Lotus cars, the price you pay for more comforts. Exhaust sound slightly muted, due to environmental regulations. Acceleration times exhibited have been underwhelming, but the car isn't about that. Final iteration of seats could be a bit lower, but still a decent position. Etc.

I know that this customer base is kind of a wide one (I see some who have 3 supercars in the garage considering an Emira as a weekend toy, and some who this is their first and possibly only time purchasing a vehicle like this). I personally have worked extremely hard to get to this point, to the tune of my engineering career + 3 part time jobs, pumping out regular 115 hour weeks with a diet of rice and tuna for a few years to pay off my family/student debt in the dream of being able to afford an analogue, driver-focused, manual, mid-engined sports car. Now more than ever, options are limited for all of us on that front. What drew me to Lotus in the first place was the driving experience, and the reliability of the 2GR-FE. What drew me to the Emira was the promise of a "dialed-up" Lotus with better quality and looks.

At what point do the little things that are no big deal add up, and detract from the experience? In making this a better all-rounder, has it just become slightly worse than competitors except for looks? The argument for Lotus over Porsche had always been a more raw experience, worth sacrificing Porsche quality and comforts for. Now most of the reviews say it is still not quite as high quality or comfortable as the Porsche, but the performance is slightly muted in comparison to previous Lotus cars, as well.

Any honest advice would be great. Anything from "listen, you are never going to be close to good enough to even use 60% of the car's potential so don't worry about the upper bounds of performance" to "sounds like you should shut up and get a used Evora GT if you are that concerned." Genuinely want to know where other peoples' heads are and what level of compromise you are all willing to accept. This potential purchase is a massive goal I have been working toward, so 'try again next time' is not really an option, like it may be for a few fortunate others.

Sirtreeman

Reaction score
dude, get a decent test drive of the emira and its perceived competitors, then decide what's right for you

Appreciate that may be tricky at the moment given Lotus havent got their act together, largely due to the much discussed delays etc

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Given your deposit date, you will have a LOT more info and reviews available by the time you can order the car. You should have no issue finding a test drive between now and then IMO. I wouldn't stress over it.

I don't disagree about the compromise issue though, but every single car out there is a compromise so you just have to decide which one you want most and can afford.

If you aren't chasing lap times, most of the performance aspect is a non-issue unless you like risking tickets/jail time as you won't really find the limits on the street. This is a backup track toy and weekend cruiser for me, so even when it's on the track I won't be pushing it as hard as my gt350, so doubtful that I'll miss much performance wise.

good luck!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I am relatively new to the forum but been watching from afar (placed deposit April 2022, not due to lack of interest sooner), but wanted to get some feedback from others. It seems like there have been a lot of individually small compromises that have come out with the Emira over time that alone are not easy to write off, but together are substantial. 400 instead of 416 horsepower, probably negligible to even an above average driver. 6800 vs 7000 rpm redline, probably not a huge deal. Slightly softened steering feel, still very good. A bit heavier than most Lotus cars, the price you pay for more comforts. Exhaust sound slightly muted, due to environmental regulations. Acceleration times exhibited have been underwhelming, but the car isn't about that. Final iteration of seats could be a bit lower, but still a decent position. Etc.

I know that this customer base is kind of a wide one (I see some who have 3 supercars in the garage considering an Emira as a weekend toy, and some who this is their first and possibly only time purchasing a vehicle like this). I personally have worked extremely hard to get to this point, to the tune of my engineering career + 3 part time jobs, pumping out regular 115 hour weeks with a diet of rice and tuna for a few years to pay off my family/student debt in the dream of being able to afford an analogue, driver-focused, manual, mid-engined sports car. Now more than ever, options are limited for all of us on that front. What drew me to Lotus in the first place was the driving experience, and the reliability of the 2GR-FE. What drew me to the Emira was the promise of a "dialed-up" Lotus with better quality and looks.

At what point do the little things that are no big deal add up, and detract from the experience? In making this a better all-rounder, has it just become slightly worse than competitors except for looks? The argument for Lotus over Porsche had always been a more raw experience, worth sacrificing Porsche quality and comforts for. Now most of the reviews say it is still not quite as high quality or comfortable as the Porsche, but the performance is slightly muted in comparison to previous Lotus cars, as well.

Any honest advice would be great. Anything from "listen, you are never going to be close to good enough to even use 60% of the car's potential so don't worry about the upper bounds of performance" to "sounds like you should shut up and get a used Evora GT if you are that concerned." Genuinely want to know where other peoples' heads are and what level of compromise you are all willing to accept. This potential purchase is a massive goal I have been working toward, so 'try again next time' is not really an option, like it may be for a few fortunate others.
It sounds like you are working and sacrificing real hard to get your dream car.
If you want my honest advice the safe bet is to just get the Porsche.
It's an awesome car, with amazing residuals and dynamically unbeaten by the sounds of things. You also don't really need to worry about build quality or the 'unknown' of a new model. It does what it says on the tin and if you ever feel like you have overly extended yourself financially or lifestyle-wise you can get out of it relatively unscathed.
Enjoy the trip, whatever you decide though, otherwise its pointless...

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Pretty much exactly how I feel. This was going to be my last ICE car, and as such, my must-haves were: raw/analog feel, manual, mid-engine, quality sound, and lightweight, since all those things will be going extinct soon. The general theme so far is it's missing the raw/analog piece a little too much. I'm holding my final decision for when I can test drive it myself.

The Emira has a lot of potential, but Lotus keeps repeatedly botching things with this launch. For me to part with this amount of money, it's all going to come down to getting behind the wheel. Otherwise I'll sadly end up buying a used variant of something with the features I discussed above. Either an Atom 4 or possibly a used Porsche GT car if I can find a palatable price.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

You are lucky with a deposit so late you can stand back and see it all play out.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's an awesome car, with amazing residuals and dynamically unbeaten by the sounds of things. You also don't really need to worry about build quality or the 'unknown' of a new model. It does what it says on the tin and if you ever feel like you have overly extended yourself financially or lifestyle-wise you can get out of it relatively unscathed.
Except on a new GTS there's at least an 18 month wait if not longer.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I recommend you absolutely do a test drive before committing. You have to get a feel for being in it, driving it, and experiencing it with the idea of being a daily driver, and that's something only you can decide. Don't rely on anybody else's opinion. In your situation, it's too great an expense to take a chance on it. Make sure it's right for you regardless of what anybody else says.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A bit off topic but there is no car, not even a LeFerrari or Bugatti Chiron, that is worth working 115 hrs/w for.

I work 50 hrs/w (used to work 80hrs a week at the peak) and my mental and physical wellbeing suffers.

But hey don't let me stop you.

Last edited:
OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Given your deposit date, you will have a LOT more info and reviews available by the time you can order the car. You should have no issue finding a test drive between now and then IMO. I wouldn't stress over it.

I don't disagree about the compromise issue though, but every single car out there is a compromise so you just have to decide which one you want most and can afford.

If you aren't chasing lap times, most of the performance aspect is a non-issue unless you like risking tickets/jail time as you won't really find the limits on the street. This is a backup track toy and weekend cruiser for me, so even when it's on the track I won't be pushing it as hard as my gt350, so doubtful that I'll miss much performance wise.

good luck!
I plan to only track once or maybe twice a year, so that is a valid point. As long as I wont come near the limits in spirited (or occasionally above spirited) backroad driving, I may be getting a bit worked up over what is a non-issue in my case 95% of the time, regardless of what car I end up with in this competitive range. Thank you!

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You are not the only one to tell me to go the Porsche route, and I have test driven a couple 718 variants but no 981s. Maybe I should give that a shot, as well, before the Emira test drive. And you are definitely right, I should relax and enjoy the journey a bit more than I have been.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Pretty much exactly how I feel. This was going to be my last ICE car, and as such, my must-haves were: raw/analog feel, manual, mid-engine, quality sound, and lightweight, since all those things will be going extinct soon. The general theme so far is it's missing the raw/analog piece a little too much. I'm holding my final decision for when I can test drive it myself.

The Emira has a lot of potential, but Lotus keeps repeatedly botching things with this launch. For me to part with this amount of money, it's all going to come down to getting behind the wheel. Otherwise I'll sadly end up buying a used variant of something with the features I discussed above. Either an Atom 4 or possibly a used Porsche GT car if I can find a palatable price.
Exactly, and there is something to be said about getting a new car with your own customized specifications, but like you said maybe that isnt worth the compromises otherwise vs getting a more serious used GT car that maybe isnt exactly how you want, but could deliver a better experience.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
In regards to the Porsche; factor in the ownership costs. The Emira has a solid proven power train that's going to be a lot less expensive to service and maintain. Then take a look at insurance costs too.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I recommend you absolutely do a test drive before committing. You have to get a feel for being in it, driving it, and experiencing it with the idea of being a daily driver, and that's something only you can decide. Don't rely on anybody else's opinion. In your situation, it's too great an expense to take a chance on it. Make sure it's right for you regardless of what anybody else says.
It seems like the general consensus is to test drive as many options as possible and not be rushed. Perhaps I have been feeling a bit rushed on this decision when you and others have pointed out, there is plenty of time. Just used to always going at this point, need to take a step back and breathe.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Grab an Evora, preferably from the dealer you’d get the Emira from, and enjoy it while you get way more time and information regarding the Emira.

#ForTheGapFiller

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
you will NEVER forgive yourself if you do not get the EMIRA.

It is not perfect, but dream girls only pop up once in a while, and lets face it most hot women also can't cook gourmet . Do you want a good meal or good sex ?

If you were told you only have 8 months to live,...... would you really want to have a Porsche ? or Corvette ?

You are very rational and methodic because you are an engineer. BUT, This is an emotional decision.

Your rational mind is suppressing your emotional mind.

Remember, unlike a tattoo, if you don't like it after a year you CAN SELL IT- you are not stuck with it forever-NO HARM DONE, and so much cheaper than a divorce !!

loosen up and LIVE !! YOLO

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ll just chime in and say you should definitely test drive the car and make a decision then. Also, anyone who says 0-60 time is irrelevant is kidding themselves. A Camry V6 whose engine is in the Emira does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. For a “performance” car that costs $100k+ USD, shouldn’t we expect more out of it? I’ll also ask this: what if the Emira does 0-60 in 15 seconds, would that still be irrelevant? At the end of the day, it does matter and we SHOULD demand more. Don’t just take whatever Lotus gives us. Looks should be coupled with performance/personality.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A bit off topic but there is no car, not even a LeFerrari or Bugatti Chiron, that is worth working 115 hours a week for.

I work 50 hours a week (used to work 80hrs a week at the peak) and my mental and physical wellbeing suffers.

But hey don't let me stop you.
It has been brutal, but luckily I have recently steadied out at just one job, my engineering career. I would never do it again. It was draining on my body and mind, as you said, and was not sustainable forever, but it started out of necessity for my family and worked its way from there. Very blessed to be where I am today and that I was able to get through it all. Very grateful to be able to even consider a car like this, which is why I want to make the right choices!

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
you will NEVER forgive yourself if you do not get the EMIRA.

It is not perfect, but dream girls only pop up once in a while, and lets face it most hot women also can't cook gourmet . Do you want a good meal or good sex ?

If you were told you only have 8 months to live,...... would you really want to have a Porsche ? or Corvette ?

You are very rational and methodic because you are an engineer. BUT, This is an emotional decision.

Your rational mind is suppressing your emotional mind.

Remember, unlike a tattoo, if you don't like it after a year you CAN SELL IT- you are not stuck with it forever-NO HARM DONE, and so much cheaper than a divorce !!

loosen up and LIVE !! YOLO
Perhaps everyone has different expectations of what a dream girl is, but for me she’s got to have beauty (not necessarily supermodel looks but attractive to me), brains, and a good personality. What good is a supermodel that is terrible in bed or treats everyone like shit? You’ll get tired of in a week and then it’ll just be like a trophy: it’s there to be looked at but nobody really cares about it or wants to pick it up.