• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Scratched the knob

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So, as is inevitable, someone has worn a ring while driving my car and scratched my gear knob.

As it's anodised, I have no idea what can be done to remove the scratch.

Anyone used anything to remove scratches from one of these? Can it be done or am I stuck with it?

OP
Joel

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
To be clear, I've had the car a while, I think it was done by the dealer while having some service work done, but, I can't prove that.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can you show us a pic? Since the shift knob is easily removable, it's definitely fixable.

OP
Joel

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So I actually have 2, one on the car, and one that was on the car but was swapped because it was scratched before I collected it.

The one on the car is a lot lighter, but still noticeable.

Kind of hoping there's an easy way to restore the light scratches without having to replace the knob, though, good to know it's only £50 if it gets really bad.

Given these have been fitted to Lotus' before, anyone had any experience from a previous car and trying to restore them?
1000020665.jpg
1000020666.jpg

RoryBellows

Reaction score
Since you have a backup I'd just polish it and see how it comes out. You can always paint or bring it to a shop to bead blast if it comes out bad.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Try a shop that can repair and refurbish aluminum rims. They might be able to restore it to it's original look and finish.

OP
Joel

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I was hoping for a home polish style solution, since the cost for a new one is pretty low, I wouldn't expect it worth it to take it to a shop.

Googling anodised aluminium polish brings up autosol but I've never heard of or used it before, worth a shot maybe