Rev Hang in Manual Transmission

OP
kitkat

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
V interesting - does anyone know whether the Toyota V6 has Direct or Port fuel injection ?
Too old to be direct injected :) the 2GR-FSE added direct injection for twin injection.

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Too old to be direct injected :) the 2GR-FSE added direct injection for twin injection.
thanks. I think that makes the Rev Hang issue for the Emira “worse” based on the earlier technical video.

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Played with gear changes today in Tour and Sport and confirm no difference - noticeable rev hang in both modes. I couldn’t video myself so will ask a family member to hop in for a ride to try to capture what it looks and sounds like.

Italiabrain

Reaction score
From what I understand lifting off the throttle immediately causes the fuel mixture to becomes lean -- this increases NOx -- and comes across as an increase in emissions. Slowly reducing the throttle prevents this condition.

Touring and Sport both had it for me, didn't get a chance to try Track -- @Emirahep do you have any input here?
Other side of the curve. Throttle closure / tip-out cause the mix to become rich and increase unburnt or partially burnt hydrocarbon emissions. That's why the solution is to keep the throttle body open artificially long (add air). I agree there was no mode difference on my test drive and I would bet that since it's a regulatory / emissions thing you're not going to see it change meaningfully on drive modes on any modern car.

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Other side of the curve. Throttle closure / tip-out cause the mix to become rich and increase unburnt or partially burnt hydrocarbon emissions. That's why the solution is to keep the throttle body open artificially long (add air). I agree there was no mode difference on my test drive and I would bet that since it's a regulatory / emissions thing you're not going to see it change meaningfully on drive modes on any modern car.
I hear what you say but it is a lot more noticeable/pronounced in the Emira than other modern manual cars that we own or have driven. For example there is slight rev hang in a GR Yaris but it dormant detract from the overall experience. For me, it does “intrude” in the Emira.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting thread. From my first test drive I noted that the Emira seemed to rev more freely than my Evora and I speculated it had a lighter flywheel which would cause that. However a lighter flywheel would also cause the revs to come down more quickly too which it plainly doesn’t. Wasnt until I read this thread I realised there may be other things going on to cause that effect.

Chobfreak

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also feel that it only impacts the drive because the flywheel rushes through the rpms, so it feels off if it spins down at a slower rate.

That being said, my GT's racing flywheel drops revs so quickly that a short shifter has become a necessity in order to complete smooth upshifts.

I imagine some people would have a hard time managing the Emira's flywheel, if they aren't used to driving manual cars.

haaaake

Reaction score
Yeah I really don't understand whey the fuck rev hang is a thing. It just makes the engine feel super unresponsive.