Race to the first i4

Celebrating my post #300 as a member of this wonderful Emiraforum Community,

I have recently received trustable testimony that most of the reported problems with the i4 version of the Emira, including re-programming of the DCT gearbox, has indeed been sorted out and resolved. The only way to prove this would be to have one of the several journalists that published i4 tests back in early August re-test a recently built i4 vehicle. But I have no confirmation that this is scheduled to happen.

Only time will show, and personally I will stay firm with my i4 FE order believing that Lotus Cars has gotten it right.

I was also told that there is a considerable number of i4 vehicles at Hethel Lotus stored for shipment. Many of them are LOTUS NYO bound for China, while also a considerable number are regular LOTUS branded (for other markets than China).
If that is indeed the case
1) That's great news!
2) How on earth did Lotus PR allow the cars to go out to press as they were? You only get one chance to make a first impression!

I had another crack at the Lotus webchat. I genuinely don't think they tell their CC staff anything as he wasn't even able to say when there might be any more official comms! Oh well, in Tokion we trust (y)

Well I've been in touch with Lotus CC by email.

They confirmed the I4 delay and weren't able to provide an estimated production month, but did say they are still anticipating production to be this year and that they will be looking to provide an update in the coming weeks (though of course the number of weeks left in the year are getting fewer and fewer!).

I guess this potentially ties in with the info @Cutting42 was told for getting the car in Q1 as even if production starts this year (which I'm taking with a very heavy pinch of salt) I can't see any handovers before January at the earliest.

At the end of the day with my car things are still "on target" for the original estimate I was given for Q1 2024 production, so the fact that there's now a delay compared to the moved forward Oct 23 production I'm not feeling overly like there has been a delay to my car given my original expectations.

Personally, I'd much prefer a car in early spring with revised DCT software than one in winter with the traits that have been reported by reviewers.
Hi Andy H
What makes you conclude that i4 cars delivered in winter will still have the old DCT software, while only cars delivered in early spring (and onwards) will have the revised DCT software? Do you have a source (even anonymous) for that statement?

What I heard is that the current delays of i4 was to sort out the solutions to correct problems. And I felt that this means these issues will be implemented in all cars being produced from now and onwards.

Finally: If many i4 indeed are produced and shipped with the old DCT software, is this fixable through a later software update?

I feel that Lotus Cars (like many car manufacturers) will avoid admitting publicly that there was ever a problem. For this reason it is then not easy to ask Lotus Cars whether your car has “the problem” (“What problem?” Lotus Cars may respond.) However, if solutions are fed into regular software updates that arrive through Lotus Cars or Lotus distributors or retailers installed regular updates, then it may arrive at a time you hardly notice………

Do you Andy H or anyone else here on the forum have thoughts on this?

If they are not releasing i4 cars at a pace, would that not suggest more than a software update.
Could it be that you can have more aggressive shifts and maintain traction in a 4WD mercedes than you can achieve in a rear bias rear wheel drive lotus

Finally: If many i4 indeed are produced and shipped with the old DCT software, is this fixable through a later software update?
It should be possible for the software to be updated so if they improve the software that should be able to be done through the dealer.
If they are not releasing i4 cars at a pace, would that not suggest more than a software update.
Could it be that you can have more aggressive shifts and maintain traction in a 4WD mercedes than you can achieve in a rear bias rear wheel drive lotus

One thing to bear in mind is that it'd be more than Lotus simply doing a software update, any updates are going to have to be in conjunction with Mercedes. And with videos out there clearly showing paddle to change lag in the A45S it's not necessarily just about matching the map characteristics of that car.

It could well be due to more than the gearbox. For one, it could be as simple as Geely saying prioritise China.

Another thing I've been wondering about possible reasons for the delay is ADAS, the I4 is going to have the ADAS pod and there was some suggestions that early I4s may have the pod but not full functionality. Might they have decided it is better for cars coming out with the pod present to have the associated functionality rather than being there for no discernable reason.

It should be possible for the software to be updated so if they improve the software that should be able to be done through the dealer.

One thing to bear in mind is that it'd be more than Lotus simply doing a software update, any updates are going to have to be in conjunction with Mercedes. And with videos out there clearly showing paddle to change lag in the A45S it's not necessarily just about matching the map characteristics of that car.

It could well be due to more than the gearbox. For one, it could be as simple as Geely saying prioritise China.

Another thing I've been wondering about possible reasons for the delay is ADAS, the I4 is going to have the ADAS pod and there was some suggestions that early I4s may have the pod but not full functionality. Might they have decided it is better for cars coming out with the pod present to have the associated functionality rather than being there for no discernable reason.
I for one want some of the ADAS functionality in a 21st century car.

Do you Andy H or anyone else here on the forum have thoughts on this?
Sorry @Tokion but I'm afraid I can't cite any new sources to work with. I was really only saying that if the delay is indeed about improving the DCT software or adding more ADAS features then it can only be a good thing. I spoke to Lotus CC this week and they said that manufacturing is delayed to Q1 2024. Now whether that actually means no I4's are being made or only Chinese I4's is impossible to say unless anyone fancies heading down to Hethel for a tour of the production line :p

If I had the choice of my original Novemeber build slot with the currently reported flaws or a later one with improvements then I would prefer the latter for sure. I understand your point that Lotus may not want to share their reasons but unfortunately currently they're leaving a vacuum that we are attempting to fill with our own hopeful theories.

Has it occurred to you ADAS is a wonderful surcharge item to add to Base options among other items designed to elevate prices?
Just maybe..

I for one want some of the ADAS functionality in a 21st century car.
I don't think I have seen a picture of a delivered i4 (China obviously) w/o the ADAS pod in the front grill - doesn't mean it has the functionality, but I would assume a future software update could include the features? I will say the pod does give it a little bit of a Mater look, but not sure I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for it..

Attachments

• 1753_Mater_CarsRefresh_46__37747.jpg
    1753_Mater_CarsRefresh_46__37747.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20231023_160649.jpg
    IMG_20231023_160649.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 53
The worry is that Lotus go down the functions on demand path where you end up paying for ADAS in perpetuity.

The worry is that Lotus go down the functions on demand path where you end up paying for ADAS in perpetuity.
Like a subscription? Other than Tesla with charging for self-drive I don't think I have ever seen a manufacturer deliver something like adaptive cruise in a subscription model - I could be wrong though..

Never mind - just saw that GM Supercruise is $2500 for 3 years.. that was news to me..

Has it occurred to you ADAS is a wonderful surcharge item to add to Base options among other items designed to elevate prices?
Just maybe..
ADAS shouldn't be a surcharge item in Europe at least due to being required by safety regulations going forwards.

ADAS shouldn't be a surcharge item in Europe at least due to being required by safety regulations going forwards.
@Andy H got me reading - didn't realize this idea of "subscriptions" was so prolific..

"BMW is charging monthly subscriptions for heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control (Driving Assistant Plus), auto high beams, and the built in dash cam (Drive Recorder).

Subscription pricing is approximately:

Heated seats: $18.50 per month
High Beam Assistant: $8.50 per month
Heated steering wheel: $10 per month
Driving Assistant Plus: $39.50 per month
Drive Recorder: $11.50 per month

Total: About $88 per month

Other Connected Drive options on the site are:

CarPlay: $308 one time fee
IconicSounds Sport: $139 one time fee

BMW has hinted that they will bring this model to the US or Europe but have faced backlash from customers."

But its controlled through OTA updates, and from what I have been told Emira does not include OTA - was informed by dealer and we know how accurate they have been..

Sorry @Tokion but I'm afraid I can't cite any new sources to work with. I was really only saying that if the delay is indeed about improving the DCT software or adding more ADAS features then it can only be a good thing. I spoke to Lotus CC this week and they said that manufacturing is delayed to Q1 2024. Now whether that actually means no I4's are being made or only Chinese I4's is impossible to say unless anyone fancies heading down to Hethel for a tour of the production line :p

Hi Andy H: I appreciate very much your attempt at a reasonable answer to my question(s). I personally think that Lotus CC saying i4 production is delayed until Q1 2024 must be limited to UK market delivery i4.

My friend, who visited Hethel recently and had a factory tour, observed already manufactured i4 cars both with “NYO” marking and “non-NYO” marking. I think these “non-NYO” cars are for other markets than China, and apparently other markets than the UK.

I have been told repeatedly that my i4 FE which is to be delivered to Japan, is still scheduled to be manufactured at Hethel during November 2023. So, does this mean that this November 2023 build will be delivered without the various updates of faults discovered, including DCT gearbox?

If Lotus Cars already have all the fixes worked out and “sorted” (which is the key-word also mentioned by others herein), why wouldn’t they update all new i4 cars being built, but keep on waiting until Q1 2024 before they start? Not so logical I think.

Of course; with Lotus Cars staying “mum” and uncommunicative, we have no way of knowing unless my importer in Japan knows something and tells me something.

I never thought that buying a fairly expensive sportscar would be so complicated, and also that I would be denied crucial information about which state my upcoming Lotus i4 FE will be in by the time it is delivered to me in Japan (by probably end of February, or end of March 2024).

So it is not only the “waiting-game” of getting the car delivered; but it is also the mystery of getting to know wich updates are installed or not⁉️

Last edited:
Hi, Does anyone have any decent delivery status updates for Europe for I4?

I had estimated delivery in August, then September and now I have asked my dealer and he says "no news from lotus are good news and means you will have your car in December".

I don't know whether to feel nervous... or skeptical.