❔ QUESTION Privacy Glass

PhilCP

Reaction score
Last bit of config that i'm agonising over - privacy glass or not.

Has anyone seen both types of glass to see how much of a tint there is?
How much will privacy obscure the view of the engine?

My thinking was the privacy glass would go well with the black pack, but as i'm have a dark (alcantara) interior I'm wondering if I should have deleted it.

Might be too late to change anyway as i'm a June delivery.

Any thoughts?

G

Guest142

During our yesterday’s Hethel visit, we had the opportunity to see (only) one Emira with Privacy Glass option.

Indoor & under white lightning, the configurator (in « Design Studio » mode) is quite close, as Tom mentioned some time ago.

So I don’t know how it looks like outdoor in a shiny or cloudy day ….

I’ve tried to simulate what I saw in the next pictures.
Please don’t shoot me if it’s not 100% accurate (it could be a bit darker but just to give you an idea) 😅

No privacy glass:
View attachment 6161

With privacy glass (in front of the boot):
View attachment 6162

With privacy glass (from the side at 2 meters you almost don’t see it anymore):
View attachment 6164
Just amazing! That looks fantastic.

Reactions: EBZ

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That’s correct, it’s a similar level of tint. The privacy glass option includes the engine cover and small quarter windows only. It doesn’t include the door windows or windscreen or the glass between the cabin and engine bay.
In the new nimbus picture from tbe hethal show room does this car have privacy glass or not ??

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
No privacy glass on the nimbus grey of the Hethel showroom

Correct.. Hatch glass looks crystal clear.

414C3AF1-0185-466D-8323-1FA539A35AED.jpeg

Flashback

Reaction score
personally, I've never been a fan of pimp tints.

No car I've ever spec'd myself has had them.

If, when it's delivered, I decide for some bizarre reason the Emira does need them I'll have to revise my belief that all cars are better without. :LOL:

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Reading a thread on Facebook, someone who visited the factory and saw privacy glass said it’s only supposed to block 27% of light. So it’s not so dark that the engine can’t be seen clearly through it. It’s a bit more subtle

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Reading a thread on Facebook, someone who visited the factory and saw privacy glass said it’s only supposed to block 27% of light. So it’s not so dark that the engine can’t be seen clearly through it. It’s a bit more subtle
That’s not consistent with the specification Lotus gave me. It’s 24.5% VLT, which is visual light transmission. So it blocks over 75% of light coming through the window.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That’s not consistent with the specification Lotus gave me. It’s 24.5% VLT, which is visual light transmission. So it blocks over 75% of light coming through the window.
Maybe someone has their numbers the wrong way round then, Either way you can still see the engine, but just not so obviously as the standard glass

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Do we know how much it blocks when you’re looking through the rear view mirror

Is it gonna make the rear view mirror a bit redundant

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Three quarters of the light is blocked when you’re looking directly through the glass. At the steep angle of the rear window I would expect even less light to be coming in. It’s going to be quite dark looking through the rear view mirror which is why I deleted privacy glass.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Tint doesn't really hinder visibility from inside the cabin, except at night if it's extremely dark. I've had 5-20% tint on the rear windshield of nearly all my vehicles and I've never had visibility issues except out my drivers side window and backing into a spot... Then I'd simply roll down my window to see clearly if it's pitch black out.

Weyland

Reaction score
There was a finished Emira at Caffeine & Machine today, & a guy took loads of pics, sadly it was gone before I could get there. I Pinched this one to show you the rear glass (Hello if you are here! Hope you don't mind)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1654187228351.jpg
    FB_IMG_1654187228351.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 89

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I chose the privacy glass because I think it's needed in our climate. It hit 95F/35C here yesterday, and summer isn't really even started yet. I'm planning to tint the front side windows with a high quality ceramic film to match the factory rear and side glass as closely as possible.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I chose the privacy glass because I think it's needed in our climate. It hit 95F/35C here yesterday, and summer isn't really even started yet. I'm planning to tint the front side windows with a high quality ceramic film to match the factory rear and side glass as closely as possible.

Ceramic makes all the difference! I wasn't a believer until I got traditional tint on my daily driver and then opted for ceramic on my wife's... Her interior stays much cooler! Even just riding around in the summer heat with the air on and windows up, it feels cooler inside and I don't ever feel my arm or face warming up from the sun coming through the side windows.

I ordered my Emira with privacy glass and plan to do matching ceramic film on the front sides and clear ceramic on the windshield.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I ordered my Emira with privacy glass and plan to do matching ceramic film on the front sides and clear ceramic on the windshield.
Good plan, though you're braver than me. I've avoided the windshield in the past because I worry about clarity. Doesn't mean there is actually any issue, I'm just over-cautious.

I may do a clear ceramic film on the rear side windows (over the privacy glass) if the solar gain is higher than what I want in there. Cars get HOT in the direct sun anywhere south of 40°N latitude.

The southern UK is what, like 53°N? Equivalent in solar angle to the middle of Canada.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Good plan, though you're braver than me. I've avoided the windshield in the past because I worry about clarity. Doesn't mean there is actually any issue, I'm just over-cautious.

I may do a clear ceramic film on the rear side windows (over the privacy glass) if the solar gain is higher than what I want in there. Cars get HOT in the direct sun anywhere south of 40°N latitude.

The southern UK is what, like 53°N? Equivalent in solar angle to the middle of Canada.

Hm.. that's a good point. I've never done a windshield either, but know others who have. I wonder if the front defroster could cause issues... but then again, not like I'm ever driving this thing in snow/icey conditions. Don't most windshields come with some sort of UV protection from the factory... at least to prevent damage to the dash and interior? I wouldn't be surprised if there's some polarized film or treatment that can be done to windshields too. Probably getting a little carried away with that though... I might just stick to matching the side windows in ceramic too. ;)

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My wife has ceramic on her windshield (and all other windows) and I have normal tint. Her car is markedly cooler than mine to the point she doesn’t put up a sunblocker. I always put a reflective blocker (florida sun) and my car stays a lot cooler than before it was tinted, but not as much as hers.

I notice nothing at all visual on the front in terms of clarity - I was very leery as well.

I’ll be doing ceramic tint all the way around on my Emira and will be deleting privacy glass because I want to all be the same and stock privacy glass is nowhere near as effective as ceramic tint.