❔ QUESTION Privacy Glass

PhilCP

Reaction score
Last bit of config that i'm agonising over - privacy glass or not.

Has anyone seen both types of glass to see how much of a tint there is?
How much will privacy obscure the view of the engine?

My thinking was the privacy glass would go well with the black pack, but as i'm have a dark (alcantara) interior I'm wondering if I should have deleted it.

Might be too late to change anyway as i'm a June delivery.

Any thoughts?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Guessing the small quarter window behind the driver’s seat isn’t changing in this view but it’s also ~20%?
That’s correct, it’s a similar level of tint. The privacy glass option includes the engine cover and small quarter windows only. It doesn’t include the door windows or windscreen or the glass between the cabin and engine bay.

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That’s correct, it’s a similar level of tint. The privacy glass option includes the engine cover and small quarter windows only. It doesn’t include the door windows or windscreen or the glass between the cabin and engine bay.
Hence, I’ll be tinting the front 2 windows at 20% in Australia. Our sun ☀️ is just wayyyyy to hot 🔥….

1500 GT

Reaction score
I’ve gone for privacy glass delete with Dark Verdant and no black pack, Ice grey leather interior. The thinking was to get as much contrast and light into the interior so no point darkening the glass. For the handful of days we actually get bright sunlight in NW England then it won’t be an issue.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’ve gone for privacy glass delete with Dark Verdant and no black pack, Ice grey leather interior. The thinking was to get as much contrast and light into the interior so no point darkening the glass. For the handful of days we actually get bright sunlight in NW England then it won’t be an issue.
I've gone for it not because of the sun in the UK but over years the engine bay won't look as clean due to servicing of the engine and possible corrosion of parts on display.

Last edited:

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It's about 20% tint and the configurator is reasonably accurate - no then yes in the below:

View attachment 2672
View attachment 2674

View attachment 2673
View attachment 2675

I've selected no privacy glass with black pack. The glass has a black border in either case and it's nice to show the engine bay. Also means the quarter windows behind the door glass are clear, so slightly more light into the cabin. Don't have to worry too much about solar gain in the UK!
On the basis of what I can see here from TomE's post I will be going with the privacy glass.

Thanks Tom

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It looks like the non-privacy glass is still tinted more on the rear quarter panel windows and the hatch vs. the side windows and windshield. Is that the case or they are all the same if No Privacy Glass option is chosen?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone who visited Hethel seen the privacy glass?

Its meant to be only 24% visible light transmission (so very dark). Can anyone confirm what it looks like, especially looking into the engine bay?

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
my thought is to get non privacy glass and tint it aftermarket. In California we need at least 70% light transmission on the driver and passenger side windows. It’ll be good to have uniformity across at 70% light transmission (with the engine bay perhaps a tad darker because it’s larger and will look lighter). This will help keep the cabin light and airy, blocks out UV/heat, and reduces risk of being pulled over for dark tinted windows (even though it can get really hot in Cali).

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
my thought is to get non privacy glass and tint it aftermarket. In California we need at least 70% light transmission on the driver and passenger side windows. It’ll be good to have uniformity across at 70% light transmission (with the engine bay perhaps a tad darker because it’s larger and will look lighter). This will help keep the cabin light and airy, blocks out UV/heat, and reduces risk of being pulled over for dark tinted windows (even though it can get really hot in Cali).

I plan to tint my front windows to match the factory privacy glass and possibly do a clear ceramic film on the windshield for heat rejection. I opted for the privacy glass because I'm not so sure traditional film will work well on the hatch glass over the engine bay temps.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I plan to tint my front windows to match the factory privacy glass and possibly do a clear ceramic film on the windshield for heat rejection. I opted for the privacy glass because I'm not so sure traditional film will work well on the hatch glass over the engine bay temps.
That was my thoughts too until I saw the car in person. Even with clear glass, the rear visibility is limited at best.

So I’m now worried that 24% light transmission on a small highly angled rear window may create significant visibility limitations!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
That was my thoughts too until I saw the car in person. Even with clear glass, the rear visibility is limited at best.

So I’m now worried that 24% light transmission on a small highly angled rear window may create significant visibility limitations!

You'll get used to it. Trust me, with a car that low you'll definitely want some tint back there to help prevent being blinded by headlights. Though I think the Emira comes with auto dimming side and rear view mirrors, right?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You'll get used to it. Trust me, with a car that low you'll definitely want some tint back there to help prevent being blinded by headlights. Though I think the Emira comes with auto dimming side and rear view mirrors, right?
Yes I believe it does.

For what its worth, I've asked for Privacy glass to be removed. I want all the side glass to have even tint and not look mismatched. We can't have 20% VLT on front driver and passenger windows here. The rules are at least 35% VLT minimum for front side windows for the car to remain road worthy.

So in the end, having door windows at 35% VLT (min) and the side triangle windows having 24.5% VLT would look a bit strange and unbalanced. Also the privacy glass doesn't have as much UV and IR heat rejection as tint does.

Lotus previously sent me the following privacy glass specs:
  • The visible light transmission (VLT) of the privacy glass is 24.5%.
  • The tailgate glass lets in 6% UV light and the rear three quarter windows allow 7.1% UV.
A good tint will reject 99+% of UV light. So I'll lightly tint the tailgate glass and see what happens above a hot engine bay. I've seen R8s with the same tinted rear glass above their engines with no issues, so fingers crossed!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I believe it does.

For what its worth, I've asked for Privacy glass to be removed. I want all the side glass to have even tint and not look mismatched. We can't have 20% VLT on front driver and passenger windows here. The rules are at least 35% VLT minimum for front side windows for the car to remain road worthy.

So in the end, having door windows at 35% VLT (min) and the side triangle windows having 24.5% VLT would look a bit strange and unbalanced. Also the privacy glass doesn't have as much UV and IR heat rejection as tint does.

Lotus previously sent me the following privacy glass specs:
  • The visible light transmission (VLT) of the privacy glass is 24.5%.
  • The tailgate glass lets in 6% UV light and the rear three quarter windows allow 7.1% UV.
A good tint will reject 99+% of UV light. So I'll lightly tint the tailgate glass and see what happens above a hot engine bay. I've seen R8s with the same tinted rear glass above their engines with no issues, so fingers crossed!

I don't know the laws in Australia, but here in the US the tint laws vary by state. And most states allow front side window tint at any percentage with a doctor's note. It's a bit of a tedious process to get the form signed and processed, but once it's done it's good for as long as you own the vehicle.

Typically you can't get pulled over for just having tint anyway. It's usually an extra fine that can be added on if you were pulled over for something else, like speeding.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Good shot of the privacy glass.
That's not privacy glass. Clear as day through the rear window.

seneca.png

The rear quarter window is also clear.

seneca2.png

Last edited:

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Blimey, the delete option on the Privacy Glass was likely the very first thing I ever decided upon.
Not a fan of the mismatch look - changes the rear end. I am contemplating an FF and the rear privacy on that makes the back far more dumpy.

IMG_43070-large.jpg

Anyway, why risk it?
Get non-privacy, take delivery of the car and then add it with a nice pro-tint if you really want to. Getting privacy glass and then changing your mind will be, well, good luck with

Saying all that. Ha - for balance. Recently bought a C63 with massively blacked out windows BUT I had no real choice as it was the only one in budget and the rest of the spec was perfect for me. Tookme ages to find one. Still, as the car is Black/Black and the tint is all over it gets away with it.

9b83ee8a-832e-47e1-8a41-fb7aecfd94e2.jpg

EBZ

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone who visited Hethel seen the privacy glass?

Its meant to be only 24% visible light transmission (so very dark). Can anyone confirm what it looks like, especially looking into the engine bay?

During our yesterday’s Hethel visit, we had the opportunity to see (only) one Emira with Privacy Glass option.

Indoor & under white lightning, the configurator (in « Design Studio » mode) is quite close, as Tom mentioned some time ago.

So I don’t know how it looks like outdoor in a shiny or cloudy day ….

I’ve tried to simulate what I saw in the next pictures.
Please don’t shoot me if it’s not 100% accurate (it could be a bit darker but just to give you an idea) 😅

No privacy glass:
FEDB0EEF-8821-4CE9-8F56-686A4CD804B4.jpeg

With privacy glass (in front of the boot):
0EAFBA3E-FECB-4B4C-AE3A-4AA6093EEF71.jpeg

With privacy glass (from the side at 2 meters you almost don’t see it anymore):
B97B29FC-195E-4F54-98AB-722252692F11.jpeg

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
During our yesterday’s Hethel visit, we had the opportunity to see (only) one Emira with Privacy Glass option.

Indoor & under white lightning, the configurator (in « Design Studio » mode) is quite close, as Tom mentioned some time ago.

So I don’t know how it looks like outdoor in a shiny or cloudy day ….

I’ve tried to simulate what I saw in the next pictures.
Please don’t shoot me if it’s not 100% accurate (it could be a bit darker but just to give you an idea) 😅

No privacy glass:
View attachment 6161

With privacy glass (in front of the boot):
View attachment 6162

With privacy glass (from the side at 2 meters you almost don’t see it anymore):
View attachment 6164
Thanks for this. I have ordered privacy glass and I wanted to remove it from my order but if I do I will not get it until next year many months after my current due date of September. I really so not want privacy now as you can not see the engine as clear but not waiting that long