❔ QUESTION How hard is to change the rear window?

Emiro

Reaction score
Dealer screwed up on the order and checked the privacy glass option despite I clearly stated I did not want it. I do not like the privacy glass and/or window tints whatsoever on my cars. Does anyone have any idea on how hard would be to swap the rear glass?? I wonder if there is anyone (in FL) who did not get the privacy glass option and is regretting it, who might be interested in swapping the windows... although not sure it is worth the hassle if's too complex... or start molesting a brand new car....

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I had them swap the side glass for non-tinted due to a Lotus error.

Took lots of wrangling to get them to pay - but they did.

I left the rear lid glass as I liked that tinted.

It cost Lotus £3k internally just to replace the side glass as you have to take off the rear bumper and rears wings (as well as some of the interior) to get to the glass…

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_4048.jpeg

OP
E

Emiro

Reaction score
Thanks. I just realized the three quarter windows are also darker...... To clarify this was not Lotus fault, it was the dealer.

Whitey

Reaction score
For what it’s worth Emiro, my first Emira had no privacy glass, but did have electrical problems, it was an early build. Lotus supplied me with a replacement car, my exact spec apart from this one having privacy glass. For me, I actually prefer my current car with it, but it’s not a deal breaker for me either way.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
For what it’s worth Emiro, my first Emira had no privacy glass, but did have electrical problems, it was an early build. Lotus supplied me with a replacement car, my exact spec apart from this one having privacy glass. For me, I actually prefer my current car with it, but it’s not a deal breaker for me either way.
I read this a few times.

Each time making me more upset.

Here’s a driver on their SECOND Emira.
Hahahahahahahahaha

Think about that. From the same Lotus company… 2nd car. Hahahahahahaha

Meanwhile back in the US we’ve got negative temperatures and negative exposure to even 1 production vehicle.

Nuts. I just don’t understand it.

A 1.0 or a 2.0 or a 2nd car for some. Ah!

For the Drivers*

*Non-US

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Jon Fuller on here had his clear rear window swapped for privacy version. It’s in his dark verdant thread, blog
I did it myself. No big deal.
Not sure about the rear 3/4 side windows though, I think you need to remove the rear wings (fenders) to change those.

Tailgate glass is bonded in with PU (Sikkaflex), you cut it out with cheeswire. Only tricky bit is around the heated screen electrical connections.
I made a couple of small spacers to set the thickness of the PU at the front of the glass where it meets the roof panel, as this dictates how well the glass aligns with the roof. I just measured the gap/thickness each side before removing the old glass and cut two small wooden spacers from dowel (1/4" diameter) and sat them in position when bonding the new glass in place.

I removed the whole tailgate to do it, so I had better access for cutting the old one out and cleaning up.
Refitted the frame to the car, lined it up and bonded the new glass in, in-situ.

It's not in the DV section, it's in Emira Journals, here:

Last edited:
Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts