Picked up Emira today fuel gauge issue

nimbusblack

Reaction score
Hey all

I picked up my Emira today and whilst it has a fuel tank of fuel (dealer filled it up and I topped it up £10 when I got home until it clicked) it is only reading about 1/3rd full.

Have done a battery disconnect for 20 mins but no luck.

Dealer now says it has to goto Ashford service centre.

Other than that what a car!!

Attachments

• 7e78119d-e7a5-4f80-b974-037d3f86e047.jpeg
    7e78119d-e7a5-4f80-b974-037d3f86e047.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 1803184c-896c-4283-af32-012b086b97b6.mov
    3 MB
OP
N

nimbusblack

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on the fuel gauge issue? If fill up it doesn't reflect the increase in fuel and just keeps counting down. Similar issues on elises or exiges seem to have been either faulty fuel level sensor (seems logical) or faulty dash instrument panel which im hoping it aint.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I doubt it’s a faulty instrument cluster, at worst a faulty fuel sensor. Your dealer will be able to diagnose very quickly I would think!

OP
N

nimbusblack

Reaction score
Too bad it isn't stuck on full as you could save a lot of money avoiding the petrol stations
ha! i just hope the car is smart enough to know there is fuel in the car and it wont just cut out when it gets to 0 miles as some kind of safety feature. Topped up another £15 today and still keeps just counting down...

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does the fuel gauge move below 1/3 once you get that real level in the tank? (if you let it go that far) Would probably say you have 0 range for a while. Probably a miswired level sensor on the sending unit or they bent the float arm putting it in the tank. They shoulda caught that in PDI.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
ha! i just hope the car is smart enough to know there is fuel in the car and it wont just cut out when it gets to 0 miles as some kind of safety feature. Topped up another £15 today and still keeps just counting down...
I assume you checked if there's a hole in the tank? :p

OP
N

nimbusblack

Reaction score
Does the fuel gauge move below 1/3 once you get that real level in the tank? (if you let it go that far) Would probably say you have 0 range for a while. Probably a miswired level sensor on the sending unit or they bent the float arm putting it in the tank. They shoulda caught that in PDI.
I flagged it to the dealer as soon as i saw it and was told that maybe the car needs to be driven for a bit (it had 0 miles on the clock) The car was fueled fully but showed 105 miles range, we went for a test drive and it dropped to 100. I drove home and it dropped to 90 and i stopped to fuel up hoping that would help somehow, it took about £10 in fuel but the range stayed at 90, driving to and from work and out and about it has dropped to 80 now and ive stuck another £10 in since. Maybe it will hit 0 and then reset back to full :)

As well as the above ive had the SOS error which has cleared today but today EML came on but car is performing fine. I went straight into track after starting the car, it didn't like that it seems. Dealer is doing a software update Thursday.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ask them to check the battery condition too. Odd electrical gremlins are sometimes a sign of low battery capacity (not just low voltage).

OP
N

nimbusblack

Reaction score
will do. I had a scorpion tracker fitted from factory which is showing 13.5v battery level in the app, that also required a visit from a scorpion engineer today to get live, didn't know he was coming just turned up, wasn't even at home but only 20 mins away so came come and he sorted it in around an hour.

OP
N

nimbusblack

Reaction score
B&C have said its a fuel level sensor issue so they have ordered it from factory (its in stock) and will contact me to get it fitted. They happened to have a Lotus field tech at the Guildford service centre so he looked at it and diagnosed it.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I would still worry about it if the replacement is identical to the failed unit. I went through an aggravation when I owned a 2001 Corvette. Every two years the smog pump check valve would fail. You know how the saying goes, "If you keep doing the same thing (replacing the exact same part), then expect the same results."
I really hope the core of the failure is discovered and if there is a fix, all parts in stock are purged and fixed, as well.