Paint protection film (PPF) — questions & comments

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This will be my first experience with PPF. I have a few questions:
  • I intend on ceramic coating the paintwork. Can you put ceramic sealants on PPF (and would you)?
  • Is it worth doing the whole car, versus the impact points?
  • Scarily, there’s a lot of gloss black down low on the car. I’m guessing these must be plastic coated. Can they do such fiddly sections, and will it last?
If anyone would like to comment on ceramic versus the new graphene finishes too, that would be good (it’s super confusing!).

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
  • I intend on ceramic coating the paintwork. Can you put ceramic sealants on PPF (and would you)?
  • Scarily, there’s a lot of gloss black down low on the car. I’m guessing these must be plastic coated. Can they do such fiddly sections, and will it last?
If anyone would like to comment on ceramic versus the new graphene finishes too, that would be good (it’s super confusing!).
I’m talking from a lot of experience in using ppf on all my cars from very early on. It’s absolutely brilliant nowadays with self healing properties when left in the sun. They can wrap any surface on the outside and even inside as well. They are computer aided design templates specifically done for each car. I have never wasted my money on any other product on the market as it’s simply not needed at all. Go to a great installer and worry free motoring for years. I would recommend to PPF the whole car and do nothing else whatsoever.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm planning to go PPF all over. Ceramic coating is good for the ease of cleaning, but the extra thickness of a film feels reassuring to me.

I'd add that ceramic coating on the wheels and calipers is a good shout too... Being able to just hose off brake dust (or just use a little soap) is well worth it.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Ditto @EM33RA post is spot on. I also do ceramic over the PPF. Here is more info:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Kindly share your spec. Welcome to the forum.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I normally do PPF on the front bumper, headlights, side mirrors and maybe the hood. Ask the installer to wrap the PPF around the edges where possible to avoid dirt getting trapped. BTW, I would only do PPF if the installer has a template for it. I don’t want a knife anywhere near the paint.

IMO, ceramic coating is too expensive for the level of protection you get and requires you to reapply (maintain) it couple of times a year. I 100% prefer a decent spray sealant that I can apply myself.

OP
J

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a ceramic coating over PPF will make the plastic brittle? The ceramic is supposed to create a molecular-level hard coating on the paint, so I wonder what happens when it goes onto plastic?

Lotushavefun

Reaction score
I currently have my Benz wrapped in PPF, with recommended 2 coats of Ceramic pro coating over the top of the PPF. Best decision I ever made, helps keep the front clean of heavy dirt and small rock chips. I plan to do the same process for my Emira. It's a bit pricey but well worth it long term. 👍

boozyjay

Reaction score
I'm planning on using an outdoor car cover. Would that effect the PPF?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm planning on using an outdoor car cover. Would that effect the PPF?

It shouldn't. I have XPEL PPF and Ceramic Coating underneath a Covercraft Weathershield HD cover. No issues, car looks like new. Don't go cheap on PPF, Ceramic or car covers. Find the best installer, do not shop for price.

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Will leave car as is. Cost of PPF caters for resprays as needed, although I tend to stay back from cars in front to lessen risk of stone chips.

boozyjay

Reaction score
Will leave car as is. Cost of PPF caters for resprays as needed, although I tend to stay back from cars in front to lessen risk of stone chips.
It's the easy cleaning that appeals to me.

Reactions: DJW

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've found ceramic takes cleaning from enjoyable to quite joyous. I don't think I'll ever get bored of the magic water removal with the towel (buy a good towel..)

1637430991422.png

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Same for me, £4-5K buys an awful lot of work, the only thing that would worry me is the complexity of the Emira front end. I’ll never track my car so I’ll take my chances.

Ceramic coating to make it easy clean though…….. that I can get on board with.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m planning to to do pod over the whole car in clear gloss, and considering matte black on the top, a pillars and mirrors. Might seek a mock up first. Yes to graphene ceramic coating. Several excellent choices and definitely gives incredible hydrophobicity for regular cleanings.

Reaction score
I live in a BIG city with insane traffic. After witnessing the abuse my Mercedes has endured I'm going with full PPF and Ceramic coating - gonna be my Emira's first trip once I get it 👍

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It shouldn't. I have XPEL PPF and Ceramic Coating underneath a Covercraft Weathershield HD cover. No issues, car looks like new. Don't go cheap on PPF, Ceramic or car covers. Find the best installer, do not shop for price.
Just hit Covercraft web site (thanks for dropping info) but noticed Lotus isn't even listed. Which cover do you select or do you approximate fit with another car?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just hit Covercraft web site (thanks for dropping info) but noticed Lotus isn't even listed. Which cover do you select or do you approximate fit with another car?

My apologies, my post could have been clearer. I have had two of these covers and I know they build them to order. I am assuming they will have the Emira once it is in production. I was gonna call Covercraft once I made my final deposit on a verdant green, black pack, V6 Manual, Gloss Black, Yellow Caliper, Sports Sups, Cup 2, Emira and inquire about the cover or see if it's possible they will make it upon request.

This is a great cover. I have had it on one car for 15 years. They last about 10 years. Well my first one did. Sooner or later the UV will break it down. I strongly suggest seeing if this cover will be available before looking at other brands. They do work.

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My apologies, my post could have been clearer. I have had two of these covers and I know they build them to order. I am assuming they will have the Emira once it is in production. I was gonna call Covercraft once I made my final deposit on a verdant green, black pack, V6 Manual, Gloss Black, Yellow Caliper, Sports Sups, Cup 2, Emira and inquire about the cover or see if it's possible they will make it upon request.

This is a great cover. I have had it on one car for 15 years. They last about 10 years. Well my first one did. Sooner or later the UV will break it down. I strongly suggest seeing if this cover will be available before looking at other brands. They do work.
No worries at all. Great info and I’ll be sure to follow up. A cover is gonna be a must for me. Asked others for recommendations and got ho-hum responses. Nice to get a solid endorsement. Thanks again.