• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

OEM Wheel Cost

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can anyone validate that this is correct? My dealer is telling me that each wheel is between $3250-$3800 depending on if it's front or rear. Do we really have $15K of wheels on this car? That just seems hard to believe that 15% of the car cost is the wheels. They are sharing this to validate the cost of their wheel/tire protection program which is $4K for 84 months of protection, which seems high.

Any insight would be appreciated.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not a damn chance lol, but maybe factory replacement costs are very high. Might as well buy a set of HREs for that price.

OP
KCMO68_510

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Might be $3800 for a full set. Per wheel? LOL. That business manager is full of it.
I have to believe this is true... because if it's $15K of wheels, I will happily sell mine for $13K get a $4K after market set and pocket $9K.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have to believe this is true... because if it's $15K of wheels, I will happily sell mine for $13K get a $4K after market set and pocket $9K.
I'd be shocked if you get more than $2k selling all four stock wheels. OEM's always charge absurd amounts for stock wheel replacements, but them claiming nearly $4k per corner is laughable. You can buy fully bespoke forged wheels from the highest end manufacturers (HRE, BBS, etc.) for half of that.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If they cost that much they need to shed some weight seeing as they weigh 11.5kg and 13.5kg front and rear each respectively. I'm pretty sure I've seen flow formed/cast wheels that are lighter than this.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Can anyone validate that this is correct? My dealer is telling me that each wheel is between $3250-$3800 depending on if it's front or rear. Do we really have $15K of wheels on this car? That just seems hard to believe that 15% of the car cost is the wheels. They are sharing this to validate the cost of their wheel/tire protection program which is $4K for 84 months of protection, which seems high.

Any insight would be appreciated.
These are my Klassen ID forged wheels. Rears are 19.5lbs, Fronts are 17.5lbs. Total set was 9K. No way the Lotus stock wheels are that much. Those numbers he gave seem way off.

klassen set.jpg

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
These are my Klassen ID forged wheels. Rears are 19.5lbs, Fronts are 17.5lbs. Total set was 9K. No way the Lotus stock wheels are that much. Those numbers he gave seem way off.

View attachment 38377
Sorry I always forget 9K included tires. Wheels alone where 7.2K so hell no to those prices.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
A dealer made some shit up out of thin air to fit a random narrative? No way!

View attachment 38380
There are a lot of numbers flying around that just seem as though people might be trying to make a buck off of loyal, hard working car enthusiasts. We need to keep watching each others' back. It's tough when so much emotion is involved after 2+ years.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Aerie lightweight V2 wheels are 9.97kg front and 10.45 rear which is lighter than nearly all the other lightweight wheels and for just over £4K you can buy 2 sets of wheels.

On my RS3 I moved to OZ Racing wheels that were quarter of the price of oem ones and didn’t get buckled every 5 minutes when hitting a pot hole.
One thing I can say is don’t sell your oem wheels for a crap price if you ever intend to trade it back in.

For £4K you could have a set of V2s with Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect tyres and the connect module. 😂

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The "parts to whole ratio" in the auto industry can easily range from 300% to 2000%, i.e., if the whole car is sold in parts separately it can be 3 times to possibly 20 times (yes 20 times) of the MSRP of the car.

Part of the reason is the layers of distributors who have to make a healthy profit. Once I paid $120 for a screw that would cost $0.05 from a dealer of a reputable European bicycle brand (ie, Colnago) Therefore unless you are made of money, I see absolutely no reason to buy from dealers.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The "parts to whole ratio" in the auto industry can easily range from 300% to 2000%, i.e., if the whole car is sold in parts separately it can be 3 times to possibly 20 times (yes 20 times) of the MSRP of the car.

Part of the reason is the layers of distributors who have to make a healthy profit. Once I paid $120 for a screw that would cost $0.05 from a dealer of a reputable European bicycle brand (ie, Colnago) Therefore unless you are made of money, I see absolutely no reason to buy from dealers.
The bike tax is real, you must have paid an extra $20 for every tenth of a gram they shaved off that screw. Imagine if it had a ♣️ symbol on the top, it would have been double!

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In the UK a full set of the OEM diamond cut wheels is a little shy of £6k fitted. So I find the figure hard to believe, unless there's a lot of additional tax being added in somewhere!

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For the OP (original poster): you're in the States (Kansas City). Call Carlos at MRR Wheels (Los Angeles, CA) if ever interested in after market rims. They've got a great selection, ship anywhere for a reasonable price (they shipped to me in Canada) and have really good after sales care. They sell true forged rims and other types and will accurately describe what you buy. Or at the very least, use them to price compare with someone reputable that's closer to you.

Having said that (perhaps the above will help others in the States) I realize you're simply looking to verify what your dealer told you on prices, in order to better upsell you on the tire/rim warranty. I agree 110% with everyone else: you're being misinformed and for that alone, consider talking to someone else about this type of warranty...

Finally, as with any warranty, READ THE FINE PRINT to understand what you'd get and try to find reviews on people's experience with this particular warranty company. Tire/rim warranties usually only kick-in to replace a rim or tire if they're totally ruined (can't be repaired and are incapable of retaining air). So consider the roads you frequent and how bad the potholes are, or the odds of puncturing the sidewall of a tire, when deciding if the asking price is worth it. It may be unlikely you'll ever make use of this kind of warranty. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but you may be paying +++ for a warranty you never use...

OP
KCMO68_510

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For the OP (original poster): you're in the States (Kansas City). Call Carlos at MRR Wheels (Los Angeles, CA) if ever interested in after market rims. They've got a great selection, ship anywhere for a reasonable price (they shipped to me in Canada) and have really good after sales care. They sell true forged rims and other types and will accurately describe what you buy. Or at the very least, use them to price compare with someone reputable that's closer to you.

Having said that (perhaps the above will help others in the States) I realize you're simply looking to verify what your dealer told you on prices, in order to better upsell you on the tire/rim warranty. I agree 110% with everyone else: you're being misinformed and for that alone, consider talking to someone else about this type of warranty...

Finally, as with any warranty, READ THE FINE PRINT to understand what you'd get and try to find reviews on people's experience with this particular warranty company. Tire/rim warranties usually only kick-in to replace a rim or tire if they're totally ruined (can't be repaired and are incapable of retaining air). So consider the roads you frequent and how bad the potholes are, or the odds of puncturing the sidewall of a tire, when deciding if the asking price is worth it. It may be unlikely you'll ever make use of this kind of warranty. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but you may be paying +++ for a warranty you never use...
Yeah, it’s less about me wanting to buy the warranty and more of me thinking that it just couldn’t be right on the cost.m of the wheels.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The bike tax is real, you must have paid an extra $20 for every tenth of a gram they shaved off that screw. Imagine if it had a ♣️ symbol on the top, it would have been double!
No kidding... didn't even save any weight... lost original screw so had to get a new one.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
At that price I’d be buying something else and flip my spare OEM ones if I needed to replace one.