Now that reviews are out is anyone having 2nd thoughts about Emira ?

ARA

Reaction score
My own thoughts after watching the reviews were a bit of a roller coaster. The initial feeling was one of slight deflation, but mixed with confusion as I was not sure if I was reading too much into what I was hearing. Maybe I had convinced myself it was something it wasn't, but equally I was really just sold on its looks, so I had not truly Cared about its performance all along. I come from a background of owning many porches, lambos, fast ford's. I thought I was looking for a last hurrah all singing all dancing manual for a bit of fun at a reasonable price. Affordability of ownership is always a big factor, versus fun derived for me.having owned much more expensive cars, I have learned that for me, I enjoy things more when I know I can take the car anywhere and not worry too much about a big bill or parking wherever I want. I'm not a track person, I just enjoy spirited driving on quiet roads at a safe speed. I came to realise after the 3rd or 4th replay of all the reviews, that I was much more in the Rory (autotrader) or Harry style of driving enjoyment. Both of them still had a big smile and neither were assessing the car as a track weapon. In addition, I did the well trodden path thing of searching in autotrader for any alternative car in the same price point, manual, under warranty,handles reasonably well that's looks amazing and is fun. I personally can't find anything. I've had gt & gts porches, and yes they are great... but not so amazing for my needs that made me keep mine. So I'm firmly in the can't wait for my new emira camp and couldn't care less what reviewers make of it.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
the best sports car made that costs 220k minimum vs 93k first generation british car. (the markup on them is nuts in almost every place aside from my very moral and pleasant dealer)
lol not a tough choice if you have the money. However, if you have a girlfriend, the Emira x2000000 is better. Or if you desire not go deaf after an hour, emira. that gt4RS is just pinnacle stuff
I assumed that if someone had a deposit down they can afford it 🙂

I agree my spec (touring and auto) is partly to appease my wife but I suspect she’ll be mad at me anyway and never want to come in it 😬

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My own thoughts after watching the reviews were a bit of a roller coaster. The initial feeling was one of slight deflation, but mixed with confusion as I was not sure if I was reading too much into what I was hearing. Maybe I had convinced myself it was something it wasn't, but equally I was really just sold on its looks, so I had not truly Cared about its performance all along. I come from a background of owning many porches, lambos, fast ford's. I thought I was looking for a last hurrah all singing all dancing manual for a bit of fun at a reasonable price. Affordability of ownership is always a big factor, versus fun derived for me.having owned much more expensive cars, I have learned that for me, I enjoy things more when I know I can take the car anywhere and not worry too much about a big bill or parking wherever I want. I'm not a track person, I just enjoy spirited driving on quiet roads at a safe speed. I came to realise after the 3rd or 4th replay of all the reviews, that I was much more in the Rory (autotrader) or Harry style of driving enjoyment. Both of them still had a big smile and neither were assessing the car as a track weapon. In addition, I did the well trodden path thing of searching in autotrader for any alternative car in the same price point, manual, under warranty,handles reasonably well that's looks amazing and is fun. I personally can't find anything. I've had gt & gts porches, and yes they are great... but not so amazing for my needs that made me keep mine. So I'm firmly in the can't wait for my new emira camp and couldn't care less what reviewers make of it.
Spot on, I looked on autotrader for alternatives and found none that appealed.
Let's be honest though if this car wasn't as pretty we wouldn't be considering it as false as that seems it's the reality.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Spot on, I looked on autotrader for alternatives and found none that appealed.
Let's be honest though if this car wasn't as pretty we wouldn't be considering it as false as that seems it's the reality.
yes thats the reality, same as for most big actors and actresses when they draw the big numbers at the box office. Im guessing the next James Bond wont be a great actor, but be ugly.....

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
yes thats the reality, same as for most big actors and actresses when they draw the big numbers at the box office. Im guessing the next James Bond wont be a great actor, but be ugly.....
Looks really don't matter to me in a car, so this purchase is becoming increasingly difficult at an emotional level (or lack of)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Looks really don't matter to me in a car, so this purchase is becoming increasingly difficult at an emotional level (or lack of)
reading your various posts and feelings, it would seem as if this car, especially the FE is not for you..... maybe you are overcomplicating things? gt4 or later emira GT, or simple..evora...

Sirtreeman

Reaction score
It'd be a bit odd to hold so much store in the opinion of others, no matter how respected, that you cancelled a long held order

Kind of like seeing reviews for an album from journo's at a listening party you didn't attend and deciding not to buy it without giving it a listen yourself

Hence why I'm waiting for a decent test drive before passing judgement, mainly want to see what the gear shift is like

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Really, you've never experienced that sense of occasion when you look back in the car park and smile?

I've always bought cars like this for the sense of occasion, looking in the shop window as I drive past..

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Really, you've never experienced that sense of occasion when you look back in the car park and smile?

I've always bought cars like this for the sense of occasion, looking in the shop window as I drive past..
Yes but I'm all about appreciation of the less obvious I suppose. I can appreciate any car really (almost any..)
Also like cars that are actually better than they appear to be on first glance

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
reading your various posts and feelings, it would seem as if this car, especially the FE is not for you..... maybe you are overcomplicating things? gt4 or later emira GT, or simple..evora...
Tbh that is a fair assessment of where im at. I just feel like Lotus have led me on a little bit... I can't be the only one? And now it's throw the towel in with a month to go, or have something that is slightly more compromised than I was expecting just because I've waited for so long.
I guess rolling the deposit over to a more hard-core version would be way to go. But then I don't want to be in the same position in 2 years being asked to stump up 100k for something with the performance of an Evora GT430 and thinking I'd be better of spending the cash on a GT3. Arghh I just want to 100% know what the production specs are and the elusive test drive. I will try and chill out a bit until then 😌

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Tbh that is a fair assessment of where im at. I just feel like Lotus have led me on a little bit... I can't be the only one? And now it's throw the towel in with a month to go, or have something that is slightly more compromised than I was expecting just because I've waited for so long.
I guess rolling the deposit over to a more hard-core version would be way to go. But then I don't want to be in the same position in 2 years being asked to stump up 100k for something with the performance of an Evora GT430 and thinking I'd be better of spending the cash on a GT3. Arghh I just want to 100% know what the production specs are and the elusive test drive. I will try and chill out a bit until then 😌
For you it can literally come down to if you buy it and it's just not doing it for you, you'll be able to easily sell it. The problem we're all facing is this is the last show of the farewell tour. Is it better to go and see it, even if maybe it's not the best show that's ever been put on, or not go, and then later wish you had? Is it better to be able to say "Yeah, I was there", or "Yeah, I didn't go. Wish I had now."

You'll know within the first 30 days if this is a keeper for you or not. That's easily within the window of being able to flip it and come out of it with more than you put in, if you don't want to keep it. If you do a test drive and you're absolutely sure this is not for you, then that's that. If you're not sure, even after a test drive, the current market conditions makes it pretty much a no-risk gamble.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s where I’m at. Although I’m reconciled to it sitting below the Evora in the dynamics/performance area that I’m interested in (even though I’m not a driving god, it’s just nice to appreciate its stretching what Lotus engineering can do - because they are fantastic).

I’d reckon you can now relax about the production specs, I’m sure they will be per the reviewed cars.

With all respect, I just can’t imagine the customer service agent telling us anything more about the specs than all those car reviewers have said, when they call us for the money. Next week, or the week after apparently. ;)

I’m really not sure what I’ll do when they call! Although, I’m certain it’s going to be a very good car.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You'll know within the first 30 days if this is a keeper for you or not. That's easily within the window of being able to flip it and come out of it with more than you put in, if you don't want to keep it. If you do a test drive and you're absolutely sure this is not for you, then that's that. If you're not sure, even after a test drive, the current market conditions makes it pretty much a no-risk gamble.
That is very true 👍

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s where I’m at. Although I’m reconciled to it sitting below the Evora in the dynamics/performance area that I’m interested in (even though I’m not a driving god, it’s just nice to appreciate its stretching what Lotus engineering can do - because they are fantastic).

I’d reckon you can now relax about the production specs, I’m sure they will be per the reviewed cars.

With all respect, I just can’t imagine the customer service agent telling us anything more about the specs than all those car reviewers have said, when they call us for the money. Next week, or the week after apparently. ;)

I’m really not sure what I’ll do when they call! Although, I’m certain it’s going to be a very good car.
You’ve made that comment about it being below the Evora’s performance envelope twice with literally nothing to back it up. Gavin has already stated the Evora has lapped Hethel faster than any previous variant of the Evora and honestly he’s one of the few talking heads I’d trust regarding this car.

About the only thing of value I’ve taken from the EVO review is to not spec the sport suspension with the Goodyear tires, I’ll be switching back to the Cup 2’s. It’s exactly, almost word for word, what those of us with 718 Spyders and GT4’s have experienced when we swap out the Cup 2’s for PS4S or other “3 season” tires. Some have even developed summer and winter alignment specs to accommodate the change as the Cup 2’s are very sensitive to camber and toe.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@mjw930 a few things that we do know: power/weight ratio is less than the outgoing Evora 410. Weight comparison is tricky but EVO mention 1,486kg for the Emira. EVO record 1,361kg for the 410. Take away 10hp as well.

The rpm limiter comes in at 6,750rpm v 7k.

The 410 Sport also had some CF bits in helpfully locations such as the roof, helping the COG a little, which, given the height of the engine would Be beneficial. I don’t believe the FE Emira has those panels.

The wheels are 20” front and rear, moving from the 20”/19” setup.

Again, not a driving god and I probably won’t notice all that, but I’ve not heard anything compensatory that would address the above points against the Emira v the outgoing 410. Maybe the tyres do the job.

As I’ve also said, I’m sure it’ll be a very good car.

I’d not heard the lap time point from Gavan.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
@mjw930 a few things that we do know: power/weight ratio is less than the outgoing Evora 410. Weight comparison is tricky but EVO mention 1,486kg for the Emira. EVO record 1,361kg for the 410. Take away 10hp as well.

The rpm limiter comes in at 6,750rpm v 7k.

The 410 Sport also had some CF bits in helpfully locations such as the roof, helping the COG a little, which, given the height of the engine would Be beneficial. I don’t believe the FE Emira has those panels.

The wheels are 20” front and rear, moving from the 20”/19” setup.

Again, not a driving god and I probably won’t notice all that, but I’ve not heard anything compensatory that would address the above points against the Emira v the outgoing 410. Maybe the tyres do the job.

As I’ve also said, I’m sure it’ll be a very good car.

I’d not heard the lap time point from Gavan.
This is 100% where I'm at, until its proved otherwise. Just can't see how the wider track can claw back the weight and power defecit
And if true, if we are all honest with ourselves it would be a little annoying......

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The wider track and downforce at higher speeds will allow the Emira to maintain a higher momentum through the corners/curves. This let's the car stay higher in the rpm range, exit a corner/curve faster and be on the power sooner at a higher rate of speed when exiting.

For those who aren't used to a momentum driving style, it doesn't look as dramatic as a stab and stomp style, but it's often quicker.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The wider track will make a huge difference to cornering ability. Unfortunately it doesn't affect 0-60 times, so anyone just looking at on-paper specs won't see it.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Doubts, no doubt........

....pay a bit more for a used ferrari 430 ? ( withOUT a warranty and probable high maintainnce costs ?)

pay just a bit more for a used gated manual Lambo Gallardo with a true V10 ? ( no warranty)

pay bit more for a C8 Z06 with a REAL powerful true race engine ?

Wait for Lotus electric sports car offerings ?

or just put off any purchase and wait for the world economy to crash first, and then pick up bargins from those whom overpaid at 50% off.

decisions, decisions, decisions.....