Now that reviews are out is anyone having 2nd thoughts about Emira ?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
100% beauty ! The sound was just theatrical šŸ˜
In all bar the CAR video the Emira sounded significantly more muted I thought than earlier protos.
Was hoping modifications wouldn't have to be done, but sounds like a silencer needs removing! šŸ˜‡

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Another glowing AMERICAN (USA) review....... whats wrong with those damnn Brits reviewing their own national heritage manufacturer so poorly ??

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 3.05.40 PM.png

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Iā€™m exactly the middle aged, middle class Cayman driver Lotus are targeting with the Emira, and Iā€™m most definitely taking delivery. Hasnā€™t got uglier overnight, sounds beautiful to me, is likely to be all the car I need to be my everyday, wonā€™t be a common sight, and looks more practical/complete than any other modern Lotus. I think that poor comms has resulted in us filling in the gaps, and because we want the car to be amazing, weā€™ve told ourselves it will be, and are now feeling a bit flat that not everyone has been 100% positive. If Iā€™d listened to the reviews on the 718 4 pot Cayman Iā€™d never have bought it, but its been an absolute blast. Still canā€™t wait to swap it for the Emira though; appreciate its a bit of a gamble, but the odds look mighty good.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think part of the problem if you want to call it that, is there were previews just a few weeks ago with the white VP 007 car, so the actual reviews today were kind of old hat to these guys, and that's what comes across.

In my opinion Lotus would have done better if they had not done the preview exercise, but instead let today's results be the first preview/review. I think the reaction would have been different for the most part. However, Harry's is the one I found most valuable. It isn't a clinical analysis by the numbers, it's an honest review of what it feels like to be in and drive the Emira.

At the beginning of Harry's video when you look at what's in his garage, the fact that he's grinning, laughing and that delighted with the Emira speaks volumes to me. It isn't a numbers car; it's a Lotus. I'm not buying a numbers car. I'm buying what Harry is buying, and for pretty much the same reasons.

For those disappointed that it's not perfect... it's a Lotus. It has the same dynamic an Alfa Romeo has. Would a perfect Lotus still be a Lotus? Would a perfect Alfa Romeo still be an Alfa Romeo? Cars like this AREN'T perfect in every way, but what they do right is so endearing, you don't really care that much about anything else. They have soul. They have character. If they were perfect, they'd be soulless machines, like a Porsche; something that doesn't really need you. A Lotus and an Alfa require your involvement, your participation to make the magic happen. You become part of the machine, while a Porsche IS the machine; you just get to sit inside and ride in it.

The Emira reminds me in a lot of ways of the new Alfa Romeo Giulia. They both strive to be a bit more civilized, a bit more 'modern', yet they still have their trademark soul. They both have gorgeous looks; unlike anything else in their class. They're both under $100k, and there's nothing else quite like them. They're not for everybody, and we're starting to see some of that with those that are now waffling because of what some paid reviewers are saying.

Every time I get in the Giulia and drive it, I'm reminded of what it was that compelled me to buy it. Though I haven't driven an Emira yet, I have the same feeling about it as I did the Alfa. The AWD Alfa is my 4 season daily driver. The Emira is going to be my fun car. At 70 years of age, I'll have a modern Alfa and a Lotus; what a way to finish out the days of my life, and the ICE era.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think part of the problem if you want to call it that, is there were previews just a few weeks ago with the white VP 007 car, so the actual reviews today were kind of old hat to these guys, and that's what comes across.

In my opinion Lotus would have done better if they had not done the preview exercise, but instead let today's results be the first preview/review. I think the reaction would have been different for the most part. However, Harry's is the one I found most valuable. It isn't a clinical analysis by the numbers, it's an honest review of what it feels like to be in and drive the Emira.

At the beginning of Harry's video when you look at what's in his garage, the fact that he's grinning, laughing and that delighted with the Emira speaks volumes to me. It isn't a numbers car; it's a Lotus. I'm not buying a numbers car. I'm buying what Harry is buying, and for pretty much the same reasons.

For those disappointed that it's not perfect... it's a Lotus. It has the same dynamic an Alfa Romeo has. Would a perfect Lotus still be a Lotus? Would a perfect Alfa Romeo still be an Alfa Romeo? Cars like this AREN'T perfect in every way, but what they do right is so endearing, you don't really care that much about anything else. They have soul. They have character. If they were perfect, they'd be soulless machines, like a Porsche; something that doesn't really need you. A Lotus and an Alfa require your involvement, your participation to make the magic happen. You become part of the machine, while a Porsche IS the machine; you just get to sit inside and ride in it.

The Emira reminds me in a lot of ways of the new Alfa Romeo Giulia. They both strive to be a bit more civilized, a bit more 'modern', yet they still have their trademark soul. They both have gorgeous looks; unlike anything else in their class. They're both under $100k, and there's nothing else quite like them. They're not for everybody, and we're starting to see some of that with those that are now waffling because of what some paid reviewers are saying.

Every time I get in the Giulia and drive it, I'm reminded of what it was that compelled me to buy it. Though I haven't driven an Emira yet, I have the same feeling about it as I did the Alfa. The AWD Alfa is my 4 season daily driver. The Emira is going to be my fun car. At 70 years of age, I'll have a modern Alfa and a Lotus; what a way to finish out the days of my life, and the ICE era.
I'm with you on the sentiment.
BUT the Guilia has recieved nothing but universal praise. Bar very long term build quality and slightly iffy infotainment, I don't think you can call it flawed at all really. That engine šŸ‘Œ šŸ„°

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
This is what concerns me. I've followed these car journalists all of my life. They DO get excited. 'Today' they didn't and that is a worry.
Will await a test drive, but i do value the opinion of those doing the reviews
But he didn't get excited about the Cayman either. I guess I need to see other videos of him actually excited.

JAhmed

Reaction score
No second thoughts here. The reviews struck me as what was expected, and oddly reminiscent of the original Evora vs Cayman reviews, IIRC. Takeaways were that the Lotus was well damped and had more steering feel, but was not as impressive as the Cayman everywhere else. My car is (supposedly) slated for an October delivery, and I am still very much looking forward to experiencing it. I currently own a heavily modified 718 Spyder and do not plan to sell that car ever, so perhaps this makes me a little less invested in how the Lotus turns out.

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm still trying to get through the reviews, but I am still 1000% all in. The Emira has everything that I am looking for and more. I don't profess to be an accomplished track driver, so others may be more discerning in their requirements. All I know is I have been waiting for a long time for someone to develop a capable and reasonably accessible sports car anywhere near as beautiful as the Emira and it checks every box for me. I'm not looking to thrash it at 10/10ths - I just want a really fun, engaging car that I can enjoy day after day and that makes me turn around every time I see it.

Prior to learning of the Emira I had been considering something like the Cayman GTS. But while the Porsche is very cool and an unquestionably awesome sports car, the Emira simply made my heart race (and that was before I heard the sound of it going down the road). I am counting the days until I get called to place my Base Edition order.

Oh, and seeing many minutes of video and picture after picture of the Magma Red car was freaking awesome.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm torn, but also a realist. I try and stay objective. It's easy to complain about the shortcomings, I'm guilty myself. I'm very upset we're getting a detuned engine (at least in the US).

However, I then ask myself: what would I rather have? You know... in the real world, where there's no perfection and you can't just take the Emira body, build it out of CF like the Alfa 4C, reduce weight to a Miata, put McLaren doors on it, slap in the Z06 engine, put the Ferrari badge on it and price it like a Yaris.

I'd buy a Porsche 911 GT3, but last time I saw the Porsche dealer he couldn't even provide a base 911 at sticker and without wait. I was told if I want a GT3 it would be $50k over sticker and even if I paid it, they didn't have a GT3 for me. "Get in line." I told him if i'm paying $50k over sticker, I'd rather buy a real exotic for the same money. He didn't seem to care.

So yes... a slight bit disappointed and torn, but I can't think of anything else I'd rather buy at the moment. At least not below $200k. My closest, realistic, backup is the Audi R8. Everything else I'm interested in either doesn't exist yet (Roadster 2) or would be relegated to garage queen duties (Huracan EVO RWD)....
I agree with every single word you just wrote. It's as if I just wrote it, because I have the identical thought processes šŸ˜„

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm with you on the sentiment.
BUT the Guilia has recieved nothing but universal praise. Bar very long term build quality and slightly iffy infotainment, I don't think you can call it flawed at all really. That engine šŸ‘Œ šŸ„°
Oh the reviews of the Giulia had a LOT of static at the beginning. There were relentless comments about reliability, made all the worse by the breakdowns of some of the review cars both out on the road and on the track. When reading the early reviews you had the distinct impression buying an Alfa was a roll of the dice. The praise for the looks was universally positive, the enthusiasm for the brand was universal for the most part, but there was a mix of feelings about reliability and performance.

There was the same "the German cars are more polished and better built, blah blah" etc. that we're now seeing as comments comparing the Porsche to the Emira, only it was the BMW crowd coming into the Alfa forums and acting churlish towards the Alfa.

Everybody agreed the QV in race mode sounded fantastic. The V6 Emira is almost there, but I'm wondering if the 3rd cat is the culprit at toning it down somewhat. If Akrapovic makes a custom exhaust for the Emira, it's going to be interesting to see what theirs sounds like.

The early Alfas had battery issues (and still do unless they've been replaced), the interior materials were noted to be somewhat cheap, unless you got the Ti Lusso (which I bought) with the Italian leather seats and dash cover. The infotainment was slow in response (which they've since improved) and there were quite a few software updates to fix various things. I got lucky. Mine is an early 2017 build, still on it's original battery, and no problems. No squeaks or rattles. Definitely a keeper.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Oh the reviews of the Giulia had a LOT of static at the beginning. There were relentless comments about reliability, made all the worse by the breakdowns of some of the review cars both out on the road and on the track. When reading the early reviews you had the distinct impression buying an Alfa was a roll of the dice. The praise for the looks was universally positive, the enthusiasm for the brand was universal for the most part, but there was a mix of feelings about reliability and performance.

There was the same "the German cars are more polished and better built, blah blah" etc. that we're now seeing as comments comparing the Porsche to the Emira, only it was the BMW crowd coming into the Alfa forums and acting churlish towards the Alfa.

Everybody agreed the QV in race mode sounded fantastic. The V6 Emira is almost there, but I'm wondering if the 3rd cat is the culprit at toning it down somewhat. If Akrapovic makes a custom exhaust for the Emira, it's going to be interesting to see what theirs sounds like.

The early Alfas had battery issues (and still do unless they've been replaced), the interior materials were noted to be somewhat cheap, unless you got the Ti Lusso (which I bought) with the Italian leather seats and dash cover. The infotainment was slow in response (which they've since improved) and there were quite a few software updates to fix various things. I got lucky. Mine is an early 2017 build, still on it's original battery, and no problems. No squeaks or rattles. Definitely a keeper.
If they had made a manual I'd have had one! Was almost my first auto. Sold my M2 Comp, got bored and was on my way to the Alfa garage. Unfortunately sold before I got there and didn't manage to find another as really wanted the carbon Sparco seats

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
No 2nd thoughts on canceling. However, I did cancel a 718 GT4 for the Emira and I made the right choice. I also don't want to be living in 2nd gear all day long outside of a track. What's the fun in going from 1st-2nd->6th gear? If you want all out performance just buy a c8? It's cheaper, faster than even the GT4/GTS. Once the Zo6 comes out, it's game over for most car in this price range anyways.

Cars are emotional purchases at the end of the day it may not be the fastest but it checks all the boxes for me.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If they had made a manual I'd have had one! Was almost my first auto. Sold my M2 Comp, got bored and was on my way to the Alfa garage. Unfortunately sold before I got there and didn't manage to find another as really wanted the carbon Sparco seats
Yeah that was the one big disappointment. It seemed almost a blasphemy that it didn't have a manual, although initially it did in Europe, but apparently wasn't a good unit so they discontinued it. It has a very nice ZF8 which is plenty good, and the rest of the car is SO good, that it's worth having even without a manual. The Emira is going to satisfy my manual desires.

Rollie

Reaction score
Ok, so I just went to PorscheUSA website, as a mental exercise and started configuring a Porsche 718 GTS 4.0. Honestly feeling uninspired. I'm sure it drives beautifully and is well refined... but dammit... I'm sticking with the Emira. It gets me excited just looking at it and that's all I want in a small less-than-practical sports car.

Porsche would make a great wife, it's a sensible choice.... Emira is the mistress. The other.
After reading most reviews, owning a Porsche 991.2 , having paid my 1st deposit at Lotus Brussels 15 November 2021 and waiting at the signal from them to hand them my final configuration for the i4 AMG your conclusion is spot on, despite all the reviews!