North America Emira Experiences

trackday14

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Was driving in the rain today and the ESC fault came on the car went into limp mode at a stop light. Turned the car off and waited 10+ seconds and the fault was gone…About 2 hours later, again in the rain, the same thing happened - and the check engine light came on. Turned the car off again and restarted it - ESC fault cleared and normal engine power resumed, but the Check Engine light remained. Fortunately, I was close to the dealer, so I dropped it off…

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Was driving in the rain today and the ESC fault came on the car went into limp mode at a stop light. Turned the car off and waited 10+ seconds and the fault was gone…About 2 hours later, again in the rain, the same thing happened - and the check engine light came on. Turned the car off again and restarted it - ESC fault cleared and normal engine power resumed, but the Check Engine light remained. Fortunately, I was close to the dealer, so I dropped it off…
This problem seems to be becoming somewhat of a common problem
My dealership was having a call in with their rep today to try see what’s causing this. It may be a loose connection somewhere

Car going in tomorrow

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My dealership was having a call in with their rep today to try see what’s causing this. It may be a loose connection somewhere

Car going in tomorrow
Why wouldn’t they have researched this over the months/years that others have reported this for, and dealers in the states have been waiting?? Maybe they were too busy!!! Not a new issue.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t they have researched this over the months/years that others have reported this for, and dealers in the states have been waiting?? Maybe they were too busy!!! Not a new issue.
Service guys at dealership this morning told me Lotus told him he needs to plus the OBD / computer in and drive the and let them know what the fault is as it could be a number of thinks it can be.
Then let them know and they will get back to him
He is probably more frustrated at lotus than me.
He has customers bitching at him about smaller problems than me.
But his hands are tied as he has to run everything by Lotus before he gets their permission to fix a problem.
Just absolutely crazy

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Every single thing that's happened with UK order and ownership experience these past few years has and will continue to happen to North American vehicles. From delay communications to initial bugs and issues. They may have software updates available but the communication from Lotus UK and Geely Corp to Lotus of US and finally to the NA dealer network has been... inefficient (for lack of a better word).

The good thing is that most of these teething issues aren't going to leave you stranded (at least not for long) and they should be easy fixes covered under warranty. I have to imagine there will be less issues with NA cars than the initial run of first editions that went out to the ROW over a year ago. Hoping for the best!

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Came back on today after some time off here. I briefly tried to force myself to consider one of these as a rainy/snowy day alternative to the 458. Sad to see nothing has changed at all with Lotus quality and customer service. Good thing the GT4 has not caused any issues and continues to be an excellent experience.

Quite the good looking car the Emira is though.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Sounds like lack of water sealing messing with electronic. Sucks.

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Driving around town yesterday to pick up some odds and ends, and a BMW 4 series rolls up in the next lane - I'm doing a gentleman's 60 mph (which is already a tad over the limit for this particular road) and the BMW is obviously interested in getting a ticket.

That said, I can see him cleaning his entire neck out the drivers window to look at my car as he slows down next to me, and then resumes his date with destiny shortly thereafter.

Unsure if it's people "in the know" that would understand how rare it is to spot one on American roads now, a fan of the brand, or someone who thinks my magma red is a Ferrari, but I really need to get my dash cam installed!
Do you know what make/model dash cam you're going to install? I've never owned one, but would like one for the Emira which will hopefully come in soon!

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Do you know what make/model dash cam you're going to install? I've never owned one, but would like one for the Emira which will hopefully come in soon!
I'm using a rexing v1 dash cam. Nothing special, but gets the job done.

zoomdaddy

Reaction score

Car going in tomorrow
My car is at the dealer now. Engine lights came on when driving. Turned-off and back on and the lights stayed off. No performance issues with the car, dealer has been trying to recreate the fault without success. My Porsche had similar dashboard warnings , when a light came on it always required a trip to the dealer to reset, even if it was a non-legit warning. Not a unique Lotus problem. The Emira has such a reliable drive-train I would have been O.K. with more analog systems throughout.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My car is at the dealer now. Engine lights came on when driving. Turned-off and back on and the lights stayed off. No performance issues with the car, dealer has been trying to recreate the fault without success. My Porsche had similar dashboard warnings , when a light came on it always required a trip to the dealer to reset, even if it was a non-legit warning. Not a unique Lotus problem. The Emira has such a reliable drive-train I would have been O.K. with more analog systems throughout.
Seeking a common Denominator for these episodes. Has the vehicle been recently aggressively washed or driven or parked in the rain?
Please share dealer diagnosis and fix. Thanks.

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Seeking a common Denominator for these episodes. Has the vehicle been recently aggressively washed or driven or parked in the rain?
Please share dealer diagnosis and fix. Thanks.
“Aggressively washed”… 🤔

Well I have a nice Comet pressure washer hanging on my wall, so I hope I’ll be able to wash the damned thing without it getting pissy with me… if not I guess I’ll get the buckets out and rub her down by hand.

… she better act right if I do though.

trackday14

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Every single thing that's happened with UK order and ownership experience these past few years has and will continue to happen to North American vehicles. From delay communications to initial bugs and issues. They may have software updates available but the communication from Lotus UK and Geely Corp to Lotus of US and finally to the NA dealer network has been... inefficient (for lack of a better word).

The good thing is that most of these teething issues aren't going to leave you stranded (at least not for long) and they should be easy fixes covered under warranty. I have to imagine there will be less issues with NA cars than the initial run of first editions that went out to the ROW over a year ago. Hoping for the best!
While it didn’t leave me stranded, it does mean that the car is sitting at the dealership for who knows how long - preventing me from completing the break-in miles necessary for track time. I am fortunate to have a few other cool cars, but I have been waiting to track this car for a long time.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
While it didn’t leave me stranded, it does mean that the car is sitting at the dealership for who knows how long - preventing me from completing the break-in miles necessary for track time. I am fortunate to have a few other cool cars, but I have been waiting to track this car for a long time.
Mine is also in shop. Not heard yet what they have found or done. Going on a road trip to Arkansas late next month
9 P cars and 1 L car it’s an annual thing.
They all told me Do Not bring the Porsche lol. So car better be run in by then. Have 300 miles to go to run in. So better get my car back sooon

Drambeenie

Reaction score
Lemon law timer starts …. Now 😅

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It seems that the limp mode issues in NA are not related in other countries.
Lotus told my dealer that they need to change the module behind the mirror as that may be causing the problem.
They are sending a new one hopefully today or Monday from Lotus USA so hopefully tomorrow it will get here.
Apparently it take about 3 hours to install a reset everything.

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sounds like lack of water sealing messing with electronic. Sucks.
Wasn't there a post from a while ago, one of the first delivery owners, that mentioned this exact rain scenario - also after washes - where the dealer finally wrapped the ECU in a plastic wrap to solve the issue? I may be imagining it, but I swear I remember reading that a long time ago..

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wasn't there a post from a while ago, one of the first delivery owners, that mentioned this exact rain scenario - also after washes - where the dealer finally wrapped the ECU in a plastic wrap to solve the issue? I may be imagining it, but I swear I remember reading that a long time ago..
Oh you did!!! Many times over! Hence my curiosity why this is STILL a thing!

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts