No More I4 First Edition?

bcstmr

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster... I've been patiently waiting for this car since it was announced. I had my eye on an I4 First Edition since I placed my deposit, but I just received an interesting email from my dealership (bolded portion added by me):

Hi bcstmr,

I hope that all is well, I have spoken with my manager and I have some updates. Your place on the list of deposits has not changed, the I4 does not come as a First Edition vehicle, the only first edition was with the V6 engine.

Your order is in the system and we are waiting to hear more from the factory.

So I double checked the Lotus USA website to make sure there wasn't a sudden change I wasn't aware of, and even included a screenshot (still showing Q4 2023) in my reply to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

His reply was:

Since all of the delays at the Factory there is some confusion regarding what is considered a First Edtion and what is not. We will be speaking to our rep in the next 2 weeks to have some more clarification.

I have no idea how accurate the information is, but thought I would share as it is interesting nonetheless. If there ends up being no First Edition I4, I just hope I'm able to spec a similarly equipped base model without too much of a cost increase.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as we know there will be i4 First Editions. The current production/delivery timeline is as follows:

Revised Production of First Edition V6:
  • January 2023 - Start of FE V6 Production
  • March 2023 - Start of FE V6 Customer Deliveries
  • Order/Production schedule as follows:
Original Order SubmissionOriginal Production MonthRevised Production Month
March '22September '22January '23
April '22October '22February '23
May '22November '22March '23
June '22December '22April '23

Updated Schedule for Base V6:
  • June 2023 - Start of Base V6 Production
  • August 2023 - Start of Base V6 Customer Deliveries
Order Submission MonthProduction Month
January '23June '23
February '23July '23
March '23August '23
April '23September '23

Production Schedule for First Edition AMG I4:
  • October 2023 - Start of FE AMG I4 Production
  • December 2023 - Start of FE AMG I4 Customer Deliveries
Order Submission MonthProduction Month
May '23October '23
June '23November '23
July '23December '23
August '23January '24

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have emailed CS to check what edition and whether I get cut off date for colour and spec for my Dec 2023 i4 build date.
Depending on colours, I might actually go Base anyway. Fingers crossed for light weight bucket seats option. I can always dream

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for light weight bucket seats option.

Won't happen for a few years at least. Base spec i4 comes with some sort of "technical fabric" seats with the upgrade option for leather base then leather or Alcantara 12-way seats.

Racier buckets may come with a future GT, Cup, or Final Edition.

OP
B

bcstmr

Reaction score
I have emailed CS to check what edition and whether I get cut off date for colour and spec for my Dec 2023 i4 build date.
Depending on colours, I might actually go Base anyway. Fingers crossed for light weight bucket seats option.
Please let us know what their response is.

0pirates0

Reaction score
Same concern here. The weird thing is that so far there's no update for I4 edition after July's delay news. For 4 months time everything is in the black box. There's no engineering vehicle nor testing model showing. It is hard for people to believe that after half a year later this model will be on the market.

Reactions: AGP

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Word on the street they are running into difficulties and need more time to develop the engine as far as heating concerns and other things. I feel bad for the I4 deposit holders.

R1272

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When I first heard that the rear frame is steel in V6 cars, but aluminum in i4 cars, I wondered if aluminum dissipates heat faster?

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I am waiting for an i4….. it’s going to be a long wait. I hope it will be worth it….. one eye on my Dec 23 build date, one eye on the used market for some coming bargains in 2023 hopefully.

SPoivre

Reaction score
When I first heard that the rear frame is steel in V6 cars, but aluminum in i4 cars, I wondered if aluminum dissipates heat faster?

When I saw that I thought it was a bit peculiar. Not sure why steel in one case and aluminum in the other. Maybe they had a bunch of left over Evora parts for the V6, LOL.

ChrisJ

Reaction score
I4 engine is much more compact and dct gearbox is quite a bit bigger. I imagine quite a lot different engineering required to allow proper fitment and future serviceability.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
1586EA6D-AA61-45E9-BC87-32CAE98C1661.jpeg

More i4 news from CS in reply to my email asking about FE spec lock in date for my Dec 2023 slot and Base Spec release date.
This timeline is complete news to us on the forum. 😮

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
View attachment 19780
More i4 news from CS in reply to my email asking about FE spec lock in date for my Dec 2023 slot and Base Spec release date.
This timeline is complete news to us on the forum. 😮

Dont you know this is where we get all our timeline information? Second hand on a forum. Never from Lotus....