News About Lotus Dealers in the U.S.

Here's an interesting article from November 2022 with an interview of Matt Windle where he talks about adding dealerships in the U.S. This is the relevant part from the article (bold emphasis is mine):

"What potential annual volume is Lotus expecting in the U.S. once you get all your vehicles launched?

The potential is huge. I think we could be doing 10,000 cars a year over here. So, I mean, we’ve seen it already. We’ve got 10,000 deposits for Emira, globally. The U.S. is the biggest market for that. There’s been good uptake on the Eletre already even though it’s not going to be here for a few years. The U.S. has always been a very, very important market for Lotus.

How will Lotus’ dealer network change with the influx of new vehicles and expected volume increase?

We’ve got 36 dealers in the U.S. and we’ve got 10 that are under contract now, signed and coming on line. We’re probably looking at adding about 10 new dealers a year for the next three years. So we know we’ve got to grow the representation. It’s really important for those dealers that start with us as well."

Here's the full article:

Last edited:

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The US is their biggest market but they sure aren't acting like they care about us.

Since Geely owns Volvo they should have a few techs at each Volvo dealer get Lotus certified to expand dealer coverage for basic maintenance and warranty issues.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's an interesting article from November 2022 with an interview of Matt Windle where he talks about adding dealerships in the U.S. This is the relevant part from the article (bold emphasis is mine):

"What potential annual volume is Lotus expecting in the U.S. once you get all your vehicles launched?

The potential is huge. I think we could be doing 10,000 cars a year over here. So, I mean, we’ve seen it already. We’ve got 10,000 deposits for Emira, globally. The U.S. is the biggest market for that. There’s been good uptake on the Eletre already even though it’s not going to be here for a few years. The U.S. has always been a very, very important market for Lotus.

How will Lotus’ dealer network change with the influx of new vehicles and expected volume increase?

We’ve got 36 dealers in the U.S. and we’ve got 10 that are under contract now, signed and coming on line. We’re probably looking at adding about 10 new dealers a year for the next three years. So we know we’ve got to grow the representation. It’s really important for those dealers that start with us as well."

Here's the full article:

Ever hear the expression, 'All hat and no cattle?'
It comes to mind with the current network.
For all others.....
Screenshot_20230502-073354_Google.jpg

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Considering that Lotus dealerships is a Geely concern/issue, not a Hethel issue, it may be a bit different. Since Geely is serious about their EV portfolio, they're going to need a better representation dealer-wise in the U.S. if they want to sell Eletres, and the other upcoming electric models. They clearly have more money to work with than Hethel did/does, and the speed with which they got the Eletre factory built in China and into production shows that. New dealerships are THEIR responsibility, so hopefully adding new dealerships will be a speedier process the way the Eletre factory/production scenario was.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new Lotus dealer just 30 minutes from me now. This wasn't yet announced when I made my deposit so my purchasing dealer is 2 hours way. As of now, the new Lotus of Philadelphia is just sharing space with a Porsche dealership (which is kinda funny) and one of their Porsche techs is being trained to work on Lotus. I'm interested to see how this plays out and if they'll eventually get their own building. Either way, it's reassuring to know a service center is just 30 minutes away now.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a new Lotus dealer just 30 minutes from me now. This wasn't yet announced when I made my deposit so my purchasing dealer is 2 hours way. As of now, the new Lotus of Philadelphia is just sharing space with a Porsche dealership (which is kinda funny) and one of their Porsche techs is being trained to work on Lotus. I'm interested to see how this plays out and if they'll eventually get their own building. Either way, it's reassuring to know a service center is just 30 minutes away now.
I'm really hoping the same thing happens for me here in Raleigh so I don't have to drive 2 hours to Wilmington, NC for any of these quirky issues.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My closest dealership is a 4 hour drive. So if they could just add a dealership in Kansas City that would be great. May have to ask Mahomes to make it happen.

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus of Philadelphia will be remodeling the building the sits between the new Porsche Mainline and the old Porsche Mainline which is being converted to Ferrari of Philadelphia.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Lotus of Philadelphia will be remodeling the building the sits between the new Porsche Mainline and the old Porsche Mainline which is being converted to Ferrari of Philadelphia.

Yeah, that's similar to what I was told. That's their old pre-owned Porsche lot right? Do you happen to know their timeline for the new building?

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, that's similar to what I was told. That's their old pre-owned Porsche lot right? Do you happen to know their timeline for the new building?
Yes. That's the old used car building. They're concentrating on the Ferrari building for now.

They're hoping to have the Lotus building complete before they need to make deliveries.

Most of the work on the Lotus building will be in the showroom. From what I was told the shop and exterior will remain relatively unchanged.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. That's the old used car building. They're concentrating on the Ferrari building for now.

They're hoping to have the Lotus building complete before they need to make deliveries.

Most of the work on the Lotus building will be in the showroom. From what I was told the shop and exterior will remain relatively unchanged.

Excellent - thanks for the intel! And welcome to the forum!

TheMotizzle

Reaction score
Here's hoping for a dealership in West Los Angeles. Van Nuys is a drive with traffic. Gotta image there's enough money/clientele to support it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Considering that Lotus dealerships is a Geely concern/issue, not a Hethel issue, it may be a bit different. Since Geely is serious about their EV portfolio, they're going to need a better representation dealer-wise in the U.S. if they want to sell Eletres, and the other upcoming electric models. They clearly have more money to work with than Hethel did/does, and the speed with which they got the Eletre factory built in China and into production shows that. New dealerships are THEIR responsibility, so hopefully adding new dealerships will be a speedier process the way the Eletre factory/production scenario was.
What’s your source for the dealerships being Geely not Lotus? Everything Matt and Lotus Cars USA have said has indicated current and new dealers will be part of the Lotus Cars USA structure and hence part of Lotus Cars not Lotus Technology.

2BIG2FAIL

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What’s your source for the dealerships being Geely not Lotus? Everything Matt and Lotus Cars USA have said has indicated current and new dealers will be part of the Lotus Cars USA structure and hence part of Lotus Cars not Lotus Technology.
They'll be Lotus dealerships, they won't say Geely, but they're the ones bankrolling everything. With their plans to produce and sell 150,000 electric vehicles a year under the Lotus brand name, that's going to require more than 36 dealers in the U.S. If it isn't obvious by now, it should be obvious that leaving that in the hands of the team at Hethel doesn't make any sense. It's taken everything they've got just to get the Emira off the ground and going. Geely's plans are much bigger than that.

Lotus dealerships are going to be extremely important for all the Lotus vehicles, not just the Emira. Porsche dealers handle all Porsches, Ferrari dealers handle all Ferraris, etc. If Geely wants to be in that league they're going to have to be the ones to make the dealer network happen.

If you watched Harry's latest video, I thought it was very interesting that he said Lotus Hethel is trying to keep a low profile in the press right now, because they don't really want any more orders for the Emira. They're 3 years deep at the moment with 10,000 in their order book. That doesn't sound like a division that's going to be gung ho on being responsible for opening new dealerships. If they're overwhelmed with the existing orders from actual customers, not even dealer inventory yet, can you imagine what it would be like if they were contemplating making 150,000 vehicles a year?

Looking at it from Geely's perspective, as an owner/investor with plans on that scale, I would be putting someone in the position to expand and develop the brand on a global scale that can support 150,000 A YEAR, not 10,000 over 3 years. I believe Geely just hired someone for a position like that. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was recently.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They'll be Lotus dealerships, they won't say Geely, but they're the ones bankrolling everything. With their plans to produce and sell 150,000 electric vehicles a year under the Lotus brand name, that's going to require more than 36 dealers in the U.S. If it isn't obvious by now, it should be obvious that leaving that in the hands of the team at Hethel doesn't make any sense. It's taken everything they've got just to get the Emira off the ground and going. Geely's plans are much bigger than that.

Lotus dealerships are going to be extremely important for all the Lotus vehicles, not just the Emira. Porsche dealers handle all Porsches, Ferrari dealers handle all Ferraris, etc. If Geely wants to be in that league they're going to have to be the ones to make the dealer network happen.

If you watched Harry's latest video, I thought it was very interesting that he said Lotus Hethel is trying to keep a low profile in the press right now, because they don't really want any more orders for the Emira. They're 3 years deep at the moment with 10,000 in their order book. That doesn't sound like a division that's going to be gung ho on being responsible for opening new dealerships. If they're overwhelmed with the existing orders from actual customers, not even dealer inventory yet, can you imagine what it would be like if they were contemplating making 150,000 vehicles a year?

Looking at it from Geely's perspective, as an owner/investor with plans on that scale, I would be putting someone in the position to expand and develop the brand on a global scale that can support 150,000 A YEAR, not 10,000 over 3 years. I believe Geely just hired someone for a position like that. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was recently.
It will be interesting to see if Geely does have any presence with the dealerships in the future. Right now dealerships in the US are contracted with Lotus USA. They don't even have much direct connection to Hethel.

As far as bankrolling Lotus dealerships, they are own their own and bear the costs of being a dealership. No money coming in from Lotus to be a Lotus dealer. They don't even get the benefit of national marketing.

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Geely does have any presence with the dealerships in the future. Right now dealerships in the US are contracted with Lotus USA. They don't even have much direct connection to Hethel.

As far as bankrolling Lotus dealerships, they are own their own and bear the costs of being a dealership. No money coming in from Lotus to be a Lotus dealer. They don't even get the benefit of national marketing.
...and any of the new dealer points that have opened in the last 2 years with Emira "coming" have had no product to sell for a long time now. Talk about frustration...