NC500 Rental Advice

Justin

Reaction score
Need help.

I’m traveling with my friends to the UK to do a Scotland Old Military Roads/NC500 drive. We need to rent 7 cars for 6 days from 27/4/23 to 2/5/23, rental to start and end from Edinburgh. We are experienced drivers of sportcars/supercars in convoy road trip over many years in continental Europe, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia etc

Where can I go about renting 7 reliable two-doors? I’ve tried the standard agencies ie Avis, Enterpise, Sixt etc but the Edinburgh offices seems to lack good sports models.

Ideal would of course be if we could score a fleet of Emiras, but short of that sort of miracle, we’ll make do with more pedestrian offerings ;)

Hope the experts here could offer some suggestions.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If you are feeling brave OR wanting to have the most amazing NC500 experience ever 😍

You can hire a Caterham or Morgan from Edinburgh

Not sure how many cars they have but at least one of you, yes I'm looking at you @Justin 😁 has to get one!

Edited to add can I come please 🙏 😅

Last edited:

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Second the Caterham hire. Absolutely brilliant (providing the Scottish Weather hold up!)

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Make sure you pack water proofs and layer up to keep warm any time of the year!!

OP
J

Justin

Reaction score
If you are feeling brave OR wanting to have the most amazing NC500 experience ever 😍

You can hire a Caterham or Morgan from Edinburgh

Not sure how many cars they have but at least one of you, yes I'm looking at you @Justin 😁 has to get one!

Edited to add can I come please 🙏 😅

Mooted the idea in my convoy group of 12 pax. The blokes loved it! Unfortunately the 5 missus in the group vetoed it. We are now having to figure out how to accidentally leave the better halves in a mall for a couple of days.

Ian C

Reaction score
Not to put a damper on the trip but we did this last year and saw a number of supercar convoys, and some damaged supercar convoys, If you have not been before some of the roads are very narrow, potholed and most days we were stuck behind a campervan that had come off the road . I wouldn't take my Emira and renting is a risk unless you avoid the narrower roads. !

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well, leave them here….. for hours on end

Slightly out of the way, but hey who’s measuring distances eh…. !?

Wee tip…. Hire a Land Rover Defender and have a hot flask of coffee for everyone. Total different experience, but one well worth it

Hot hatches are also very good for NC500 for reasons above.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
D03DFE9D-161D-485D-9870-DF3F51911FBC.jpeg

I did NC500 in 2 days in my wife’s GTE this Summer - so much fun. Emira Touring would be Perfect, but sadly no more day dreams for me……

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Me and my fiance did the NC500 in my winter car in 2019, I would second above comments and say that some of the roads are not supercar compatible. You can probably avoid most of them and still have a great experience in case you prefer the more hardcore vehicles.

I was also thinking of doing it again this year, this time with a more sporty car .

5115E7E9-0C83-41CA-930C-53EC4903746B.jpeg

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hot hatches are also very good for NC500 for reasons above.

If I was doing it I'd definitely take the GR Yaris over the Emira, a small sports car like an MX5 would be ideal as a rental for the trip I reckon! Unfortunately can't help with rental recommendations, but I will say if heading up from Edinburgh I'd definitely try and go over Glenshee and up through Tomintoul! Definitely one of the best driving roads in the country, wider than a lot of the NC500 and less caravans!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Not to put a damper on the trip but we did this last year and saw a number of supercar convoys, and some damaged supercar convoys, If you have not been before some of the roads are very narrow, potholed and most days we were stuck behind a campervan that had come off the road . I wouldn't take my Emira and renting is a risk unless you avoid the narrower roads. !
What you are basically saying is Caterham and Morgans are perfect 🥰 😂

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If I was doing it I'd definitely take the GR Yaris over the Emira, a small sports car like an MX5 would be ideal as a rental for the trip I reckon! Unfortunately can't help with rental recommendations, but I will say if heading up from Edinburgh I'd definitely try and go over Glenshee and up through Tomintoul! Definitely one of the best driving roads in the country, wider than a lot of the NC500 and less caravans!
Did it in my GR and it really was the perfect car!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Mooted the

Mooted the idea in my convoy group of 12 pax. The blokes loved it! Unfortunately the 5 missus in the group vetoed it. We are now having to figure out how to accidentally leave the better halves in a mall for a couple of days.
Job done. Dont compromise. I'm not even joking when I say it's a man trip 😅

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did the NC500 with my wife in the Elise. Great car for the narrow roads. Took a 3 day detour to Orkney, too (well worth it).
Saw a Veyron on the trip. Looked out of place …

Wake

Reaction score
That’s interesting, I went last July and thought the roads were actually really good. Narrow yes, but of a fairly good with not a massive amount of potholes and relatively good visibility. I saw several Mclarens going round and didn’t seem to have much of an issue.

Campers were annoying as lots of them were ignoring the signs that tell you to stop impeding/slowing down traffic.

Only reason I’d not take the Emira is because I don’t think it’s possible, given Lotus ineptitude to make the fucking thing.