More HP from the AMG 2.0-liter engine?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
amd-2.0l-engine.jpg

Interesting bit of news today about the AMG 2.0l engine. According to a post from Autoweek..

Matt Windle confirmed that the four-cylinder version of the car, using an AMG 2.0-liter engine, will soon be boasting outputs in excess of the hp of the supercharged 3.5-litre Toyota V6, and also that the smaller motor will serve as the basis for a higher performance R version. The V6 engine will ultimately be forced to retire by increasingly stringent European emissions legislation. “We’ve got five years for it,” Windle said, “and we anticipate it will be the most popular engine in the U.S. because of the the ability to order it with a manual gearbox.”​

Check out the full article at Autoweek

Last edited:

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Interesting bit of news today about the AMG 2.0l engine. According to a post from Autoweek..

Matt Windle confirmed that the four-cylinder version of the car, using an AMG 2.0-liter engine, will soon be boasting outputs in excess of the hp of the supercharged 3.5-litre Toyota V6, and also that the smaller motor will serve as the basis for a higher performance R version. The V6 engine will ultimately be forced to retire by increasingly stringent European emissions legislation. “We’ve got five years for it,” Windle said, “and we anticipate it will be the most popular engine in the U.S. because of the the ability to order it with a manual gearbox.”​

Check out the full article at Autoweek

This seems to have flown under the radar. Fairly confident mention of an Emira R which makes sense from an accounting but not necessarily customer perspective -

1. First edition option-heavy launch model to capture maximum value from the initial enthusiast market followed by...

2. A base version for the value customers who can option the car as they wish (I for one would rather have a simpler, lighter audio system and 4 way seats)

3. A performance variant that really could have been offered at the start but saved till later as a sort of mid-cycle impulse as BMW loosely describe it.

It'll be interesting to see what place the V6 takes over the life of the Emira. It could either be the enthusiast choice and remain the halo version of the car or be totally supplanted by the lighter, more powerful i4 especially if they're able to tune the exhaust right (which some aftermarket exhaust videos on YouTube would have you believe is fairly easy). I'm increasingly concerned it'll be the latter.

GT1968

Reaction score
This seems to have flown under the radar. Fairly confident mention of an Emira R which makes sense from an accounting but not necessarily customer perspective -

1. First edition option-heavy launch model to capture maximum value from the initial enthusiast market followed by...

2. A base version for the value customers who can option the car as they wish (I for one would rather have a simpler, lighter audio system and 4 way seats)

3. A performance variant that really could have been offered at the start but saved till later as a sort of mid-cycle impulse as BMW loosely describe it.

It'll be interesting to see what place the V6 takes over the life of the Emira. It could either be the enthusiast choice and remain the halo version of the car or be totally supplanted by the lighter, more powerful i4 especially if they're able to tune the exhaust right (which some aftermarket exhaust videos on YouTube would have you believe is fairly easy). I'm increasingly concerned it'll be the latter.
The i4 to me is the epitome of Lotus ethos i.e. lightweight, more power from less etc etc.... Surely Colin Chapman would have put his deposit on the FE i4 ....... I'm excited about it.....hope I'm not disappointed on delivery!! but guess can always trade in for an R model :) can imagine many V6s being garage queens like the majority of posers owning Porsche high end 911s now.... (when was the last time you saw one for sale with over 2k miles!!!)

GT1968

Reaction score
I’m buying v6 - I’ll trade for the turbo 4 r when I hear an exhaust that doesn’t sound like a farting bees nest.
always has been about the most noise across the pond.... If disappointed I too shall revert to displacement.. but in EU very shortly we wont be able to drive into any city with a rumbling fat V6 unless you remortgage your home...... and in Scotland its about going round corners on country roads and staying out of the ditches!!!

Reactions: Rob

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
the only reasons for me to push for the v6 is parts in 3 or 4 years you scatter a engine a block will cost your 500.00 at thew local junkyard the supercharger can be sent inside the u.s to be rebuilt . I made the mistake of buying a paddle shifted corvette hated not being able to shift .

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The i4 to me is the epitome of Lotus ethos i.e. lightweight, more power from less etc etc.... Surely Colin Chapman would have put his deposit on the FE i4 ....... I'm excited about it.....hope I'm not disappointed on delivery!! but guess can always trade in for an R model :) can imagine many V6s being garage queens like the majority of posers owning Porsche high end 911s now.... (when was the last time you saw one for sale with over 2k miles!!!)
I for one will be driving the arse out of my FE V6,its sacrificial to keep such a thing locked up. Carpe diem

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

This isn't new news and Matt said this at Goodwood and in various press interviews. The V6 will eventually be killed off by EU emissions regulation (but not for 4+ years) and the AMG engine will also need to be re-worked to comply (which is much more likely to happen than Toyota updating the V6). The GT/S/R version might be V6 or i4 based. The GT4 race car is V6 based. Lotus have previous history (as do others) of releasing more powerful versions over the product life, so we can expect to see the lightweight version with bucket seats and lots of CF at some point.

In the meantime let's celebrate the glorious choice of two brilliant engines and go drive them and show them to the world rather than leaving then lonely and hidden away in garages!

firstlotus

Reaction score
Colin Chapman would have ordered a manual transmission, so he would not have ordered the I4 - he would have the 3.5L V6 Supercharged FE... if he were running the company he would have the I4 available with a manual transmission... especially cor an 'R' model...

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Colin Chapman would have ordered a manual transmission, so he would not have ordered the I4 - he would have the 3.5L V6 Supercharged FE... if he were running the company he would have the I4 available with a manual transmission... especially cor an 'R' model...

Chapman was all about winning at the race track. He would have chosen the DCT as it is the fastest and you can't miss a shift.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Chapman was also about making money from road cars to fund his racing. So he’d have backed a popular manual transmission using a cheap reliable known engine, to generate decent margins ;)