Modding in California

squish

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have always found myself in the position of having heavily modified cars that were pre-1970's, or newer unmodified cars. For those that have experience with modified post-1975 cars in California, how do you deal with things like smog checks? Do you undo/redo the mods every time you need a smog check? I know they aren't required for the first eight years (unless you sell), but then every two years after that you have to get them. That seems like it would be a pain to be swapping parts back and forth every two years.

I go to local meets or C&C and clearly there are a lot of modified cars out there. I'm just curious how they all get away with it. Some are newer supercars that probably haven't hit the eight-year mark yet, but many are definitely in the 1975 to 2015 range.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Im not saying this is what you should do, but some people have a hookup on the inside that pushes things through. Maybe start to get to know your local inspector and who knows what will happen.

Jdmc21

Reaction score
ECU mods would have to be off/removed/restored to stock before doing so.

Re: exhaust my understanding is that any 3rd cat delete or similar would not pass CA smog.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
ECU mods would have to be off/removed/restored to stock before doing so.

Re: exhaust my understanding is that any 3rd cat delete or similar would not pass CA smog.

Exhaust (catalytic converter) would only fail smog if they did visual inspection which most don't, but that's sort of at their discretion.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Bringing in a few 24 packs of beer and some monsters goes a long way for the techs that do this stuff. Pretty soon all you gotta do is show up and they take care of you.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
It's a pain. It's a massive pain. Did I say it's a pain?

Unless you are under 30, handy and willing to go through it...leave it stock (engine/exhaust etc). I won't do it again.