Message from Matt Windle regarding Emira delays

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Regards delays. Posted in another thread by @EM33RA 🏆
Thought it needed 'pinning' in it's own thread

Anyone who has been involved with production in industry should be able to relate to what Windle is saying here. I did machine loading/production scheduling in the late 90s and it was a challenge. I can't imagine dealing in the post-covid environment with all the supply chain disruptions. Good on him for taking the time to put out a comment on how things are going!

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The energy crisis could limit European car production by up to 40 percent in the near future, S&P Global Mobility reports in a report called 'Winter is Coming'. Both energy shortages and excessive energy prices can lead to temporary production stops.

Market researcher S&P Global Mobility predicts that the European car industry in particular will be hit hard by the energy crisis. While S&P previously expected European production of 4 to 4.5 million cars per quarter for the coming period, S&P already predicts a strong reduction from this quarter (Q4-2022). This was previously deployed due to the corona restrictions and chip shortages, and is now increasing further due to the energy crisis.

According to the agency, European production could fall to between 2.75 and 3 million cars per quarter. Moreover, that reduction could just continue throughout 2023, according to S&P. Where previously the energy costs per car produced were around €50, that amount has recently increased to between €687 and €773 per car. As a result, car manufacturers may stop production because producing cars is simply no longer profitable. This could happen especially at smaller factories, according to S&P. In addition to high energy prices, possible energy shortages also play a role in the forecast - especially if the winter turns harsh.

Although production costs in Europe are rising faster than elsewhere in the world, partly because of the previous dependence on Russian gas, the consequences will be felt everywhere. Many parts that are also used in factories on other continents are produced in Europe. The factories that produce those parts are of course also affected by the energy crisis. Worldwide, the long delivery times for new cars are not expected to decrease for the time being.
I don't know jack about economics but I kinda welcome this armageddon, I think because low production, if I can get my hands on an Emira, the value will stay up for years to come!!

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
What about us poor Americans who will not get an FE?
Are we going to pay outrageous ala carte prices, reflecting huge cost increases, for an equivalently equipped car to an FE? My dealer took my $2500 deposit but did not give me a price. So I assume Matt's commitment to holding prices, does not apply to all of us. I have not even heard how many FE cars will they will produce. I am number 74 on my dealer's list, so i don't see an FE car in my future at$ 107,000.

any thoughts from all of you deposit holders?
@ $107K I'll give Lotus the Shell treatment!!

IMG_1397.jpeg

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Watching Mat Windle's video again he, clearly, did not anticipate that the supply chain chaos would continue to thwart his sincerely enunciated plans. It's no different at Porsche and Ferrari. I still think it's a mistake not to update what's happening as we are left to conclude that Lotus is incompetent/non caring whereas it's the supply chaos that causes delay and uncertainty.

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Watching Mat Windle's video again he, clearly, did not anticipate that the supply chain chaos would continue to thwart his sincerely enunciated plans. It's no different at Porsche and Ferrari. I still think it's a mistake not to update what's happening as we are left to conclude that Lotus is incompetent/non caring whereas it's the supply chaos that causes delay and uncertainty.
I think there are a multitude of problems with part shortages only an element of their overall troubles. The V6 auto is still waiting for Type Approval and this is not expected to be resolved for a few weeks (however long that may be). Further unexplained delays for UK dealer demos. Quality issues as discussed on other threads with overseas cars failing PDI's and to frustrate the situation further, what seems to be a complete disconnect between the factory/HQ and the customer service team.
All of these problems lie firmly at Matt Windle's door. If I was a Board member for the company, at this point (or perhaps earlier) I would be asking the question whether the right person was in the job. The parts issue is very challenging, but being the MD of a company is all about dealing with challenges. With regards to the other issues such as quality control and communication there are simply no excuses.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think there are a multitude of problems with part shortages only an element of their overall troubles. The V6 auto is still waiting for Type Approval and this is not expected to be resolved for a few weeks (however long that may be). Further unexplained delays for UK dealer demos. Quality issues as discussed on other threads with overseas cars failing PDI's and to frustrate the situation further, what seems to be a complete disconnect between the factory/HQ and the customer service team.
All of these problems lie firmly at Matt Windle's door. If I was a Board member for the company, at this point (or perhaps earlier) I would be asking the question whether the right person was in the job. The parts issue is very challenging, but being the MD of a company is all about dealing with challenges. With regards to the other issues such as quality control and communication there are simply no excuses.
Sure, with respect, but like me you are guessing what the bottlenecks are; and that's all we can do in the absence of facts. IIRC some areas of type approval need production parts. However the multitude of issues does beg the questions, what's going at Lotus!

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I made this point some time ago and the apologist accused me of abuse.!

Sooner or later Geely will have to conclude the same thing. Let's hope it's the former.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I made this point some time ago and the apologist accused me of abuse.!

Sooner or later Geely will have to conclude the same thing. Let's hope it's the former.
I came to the same conclusion a few weeks back. It's top down issue. I think a lot of people at Lotus may be out of their depth. Good talent is always hard to attract, the best talent is even more difficult.