Lotus Emira Roadtrip Break In Period

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
For those lucky owners that have gotten their cars already, anyone taken epic road trips back home? I am planning a 11 hour road trip bringing the car back from the dealer and want to understand what I should plan for. The good news is I get to break it in on my travels home. The bad news is I hope I make it home 😂
good luck with your back, as when I drove 1 hour in the car on a rally, I felt my back not wanting to be in the car any longer (and I work out and am fit) :)

Emira Fan

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
[My dealership said sport mode is ok
Just font go over 4K rpm]

At the end of the day the manual is the gold standard especially if it ever came down to a warranty dispute. Dealership staff will not join you in court on warranty dispute :)

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
good luck with your back, as when I drove 1 hour in the car on a rally, I felt my back not wanting to be in the car any longer (and I work out and am fit) :)
Getting the 12-way seat adjusted just right is helpful.
Make good use of the lumbar support.
Also adjusting the steering wheel position.
Your results may vary.

Last edited:

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
Yes, the break-in recommendation is pretty direct about it. It's not that you shouldn't drive on the highway, but they do recommend varying the engine speed often. This is true for many other makes of car as well.

View attachment 39150
Thanks for posting. I knew most of this, but I did NOT know Lotus recommends "Tour" mode only for first 1000 miles. I failed that on the first day. Track mode sounds so much better. I am willing to bet almost nobody drives in "Tour" mode the first 1000 miles.

This doesn't make logical sense, you want all engine revs and types. I use all 3 throughout my drives (with 60% likely in Track mode). I only have 300 miles on it for the break in period.

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just curious if you have Sport/Cup2s, Sport/Goodyears or Touring/Goodyears on your Emira, and if that also could have affected things in this regard, in your opinion?

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
Just curious if you have Sport/Cup2s, Sport/Goodyears or Touring/Goodyears on your Emira, and if that also could have affected things in this regard, in your opinion?
have Sport/Goodyears
but I probably didn't adjust the seat well enough to be comfortable
was on a car rally, so had the steering wheel lower (so seat higher) and more uprights
I am sure you can find a good position for the long drive

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
have Sport/Goodyears
but I probably didn't adjust the seat well enough to be comfortable
was on a car rally, so had the steering wheel lower (so seat higher) and more uprights
I am sure you can find a good position for the long drive
I found that the lumbar setting makes a huge difference.
Oh, go easy on back roads.....

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I found that the lumbar setting makes a huge difference.
Oh, go easy on back roads.....
oh, right! I'm only 300 miles in but just realized that I totally forgot to play with lumbar settings. Seat has been comfortable for me so far, but maybe it gets better?!?!