Lotus Emira Roadtrip Break In Period

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For those lucky owners that have gotten their cars already, anyone taken epic road trips back home? I am planning a 11 hour road trip bringing the car back from the dealer and want to understand what I should plan for. The good news is I get to break it in on my travels home. The bad news is I hope I make it home 😂

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For those lucky owners that have gotten their cars already, anyone taken epic road trips back home? I am planning a 11 hour road trip bringing the car back from the dealer and want to understand what I should plan for. The good news is I get to break it in on my travels home. The bad news is I hope I make it home 😂
Mine was about 8 hours of driving over 2 days. 90% of that on twisty mountain roads. It was excellent.

You should avoid major highways if you can. To avoid long stretches at constant RPM, as mentioned in the factory break-in recommendation, but also because it's way more fun to take back roads.

evoxide

Reaction score
Interesting note; when in cruise control, if you upshift or downshift, the cruise will stay engaged. Takes you by surprise the 1st time, but sort of cool. Let’s you monitor and change the rev range it stays in while on the highway logging those 1st 1k miles.

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Interesting note; when in cruise control, if you upshift or downshift, the cruise will stay engaged. Takes you by surprise the 1st time, but sort of cool. Let’s you monitor and change the rev range it stays in while on the highway logging those 1st 1k miles.
I'm not sure that's cool. Cruise should disengage whenever the clutch or brake is depressed. What happens to the revs when you push the clutch in and the cruise is still stepping on the gas? Don't the revs go way up?

Joshbr32

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Mine was about 8 hours of driving over 2 days. 90% of that on twisty mountain roads. It was excellent.

You should avoid major highways if you can. To avoid long stretches at constant RPM, as mentioned in the factory break-in recommendation, but also because it's way more fun to take back roads.
I didn't know this about the long stretches at constant rpm, even if im just cruising down the highway at a relatively low rpm? is this common across cars?

OP
B

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score

That’s freaking awesome and it’s my inspiration!

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I didn't know this about the long stretches at constant rpm, even if im just cruising down the highway at a relatively low rpm? is this common across cars?
Yes, the break-in recommendation is pretty direct about it. It's not that you shouldn't drive on the highway, but they do recommend varying the engine speed often. This is true for many other makes of car as well.

1000031781.png

evoxide

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's cool. Cruise should disengage whenever the clutch or brake is depressed. What happens to the revs when you push the clutch in and the cruise is still stepping on the gas? Don't the revs go way up?
Cruise disengages when the brake is depressed, but not when the clutch is depressed. It’s definitely odd. But from the standpoint of operating the engine at different RPMs at highway speed, it’s an interesting feature to be able to upshift or downshift and remain in cruise. More of an observation and tip than anything.

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Cruise disengages when the brake is depressed, but not when the clutch is depressed. It’s definitely odd. But from the standpoint of operating the engine at different RPMs at highway speed, it’s an interesting feature to be able to upshift or downshift and remain in cruise. More of an observation and tip than anything.
Ok, but my question stands: what happens to the revs when you push the clutch in while in cruise? Do they drop as they normally would (when you of course take your foot off the gas)? Or, does the throttle stay engaged and the revs zoom way up (as they would in a "normal" car if you kept your foot on the gas while pressing in the clutch)?

Last edited:

skydude

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ok, but my question stands: what happens to the revs when you push the clutch in while in cruise? Do they drop as they normally would (when you of course take your foot off the gas)? Or, does the throttle stay engaged and the revs zoom way up (as they would in a "normal" car if you kept your foot on the gas while pressing in the clutch)?
The GR Corolla I used to own did the same. The cruise stays active when the clutch is pressed. It simply idles if you keep it depressed. It works well for changing gears, like resuming cruise after a stop. Resume at 20mph and shift as it accelerates. Works very well.

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The GR Corolla I used to own did the same. The cruise stays active when the clutch is pressed. It simply idles if you keep it depressed. It works well for changing gears, like resuming cruise after a stop. Resume at 20mph and shift as it accelerates. Works very well.
Hmm... ok then. So it lifts the throttle when you press the clutch then resumes throttle when you release. Then that sounds interesting, and agree probably useful. Thanks for clarifying. My last 3 pedal with cruise I purchased 29 years ago (300ZX TT) and it sho don't do that!

blacklotus

Reaction score
I was told it was ok to use tour and sport but not track. The manual above suggests only tour !!!
It's pretty clear in the manual. Definitely were told bad info. Especially bad when on that same page it says "not following these things could void warranty"

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was told it was ok to use tour and sport but not track. The manual above suggests only tour !!!
It's pretty clear in the manual. Definitely were told bad info. Especially bad when on that same page it says "not following these things could void warranty"
This guidance in the manual is new. Previous versions of the manual did not include any reference to avoiding certain drive modes during break-in.

ManOfSteel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
"...do not run the engine continuously at engine speeds over 4,000 rpm."

"Occasional short bursts at wider throttle and higher engine speed will be beneficial..."

Emphasis mine.

Where did "don't exceed 4,000 rpm for 1,000 miles" come from?

The opposite is true according to the manual.

showtime

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425-135319~2.png
    Screenshot_20240425-135319~2.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 33
OP
B

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a different manual from manufacturer....crazy.
I have this PDF too with these directions that I’ve been following. If lotus would to deny a warranty claim I am sure lawyers would have a field day with this. Its not like we were given an owners manual with this car!