• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Limited Slip diff (LSD) in the 2.0 with DCT?

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I appreciate your thorough explanation of the Mercedes 4MATIC+ system, and which part of it remains in the Emira I4 application (not much apparently).

I had indeed written that I understand very well that the Emira only has a part of this system since it is a mid engine rear wheel drive car. What was not obvious to me is that the rear wheel drive Emira I4 actually utilizes the front wheel drive portion (with the open diff) of the A45 S, and that the rear wheel drive Emira I4 does not have the output shaft to the rear differential, and indeed does not have the rear differential from the A45 S at all.

This is the kind of explanation I wish Lotus would have given to us prospective buyers of the Emira I4 at the time we were asked to make our choice of Emira version.

My other car (that I will keep also after my Emira arrives) is a BMW Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo Touring (410hp power output RWD) equipped with a Drexler mechanical limited slip differential. I had this installed fairly recently, and I was able to confirm its effectiveness and improved feel of the car when driven under slippery conditions and rapidly through winding roads.

I had hoped that the Emira I4 too would at least have a mechanical LSD available as an option, but it seems that this is not the case.

Thanks to kitkat for providing his capable explanation.

Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I appreciate your thorough explanation of the Mercedes 4MATIC+ system, and which part of it remains in the Emira I4 application (not much apparently).

I had indeed written that I understand very well that the Emira only has a part of this system since it is a mid engine rear wheel drive car. What was not obvious to me is that the rear wheel drive Emira I4 actually utilizes the front wheel drive portion (with the open diff) of the A45 S, and that the rear wheel drive Emira I4 does not have the output shaft to the rear differential, and indeed does not have the rear differential from the A45 S at all.

This is the kind of explanation I wish Lotus would have given to us prospective buyers of the Emira I4 at the time we were asked to make our choice of Emira version.

My other car (that I will keep also after my Emira arrives) is a BMW Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo Touring (410hp power output RWD) equipped with a Drexler mechanical limited slip differential. I had this installed fairly recently, and I was able to confirm its effectiveness and improved feel of the car when driven under slippery conditions and rapidly through winding roads.

I had hoped that the Emira I4 too would at least have a mechanical LSD available as an option, but it seems that this is not the case.

Thanks to kitkat for providing his capable explanation.

Stated it before but I think the brake based differential will be enough for the overwhelming majority of Emira owners. You're only going to really see the limitations if you're trying to treat the Emira as a drift car or going curb hopping. You can definitely overwork the brakes limiting slip via these systems, but the torsen in the V6 Emira has plenty of downsides too.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Stated it before but I think the brake based differential will be enough for the overwhelming majority of Emira owners. You're only going to really see the limitations if you're trying to treat the Emira as a drift car or going curb hopping. You can definitely overwork the brakes limiting slip via these systems, but the torsen in the V6 Emira has plenty of downsides too.
I can only tell you what my Emira I4 FE will feel like after I have taken delivery. However, although they are very different cars, and for sure will feel very differently, my F31 BMW ALPINA B3 Bi-Turbo Touring rear wheel drive with a genuine Drexler mechanical limited slip differential and 410 hp (and a certified by manufacturer top speed of 304 kph - 189 mph) power output will remain my faster car, despite that it is a "station wagon" ha ha). I do of course intend to enjoy each car for different reasons. But the Alpina will play the role of a GT-car; despite the shape of the rear end. Hopefully the Emira I4 FE will be my (relatively speaking) lightweight sportscar.

Last edited: