Leather vs Alacantara?

Shyatic

Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forums, but I have an order in for the 6MT Magma Red with tan interior.

I'm debating whether I should have the alcantara steering wheel, or the leather. For the interior I'm fine with the leather as I feel like it's probably a bit more durable and I actually plan to drive the car as much as I can (not just a garage queen) -- but not sure on the steering wheel. I haven't had alcantara in a car before, so not sure of what to consider here.

Appreciate any thoughts!

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you’re going to drive the car a lot stick to the leather. The upkeep on alcantara is a bit more than leather. Alcantara lifespan overall is lower than leather imho.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here are a couple of previous threads you might find useful:

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In terms of steering wheel, I think leather is better. The problem of alcantare is that it will be messy if you use it for a couple of years. You have to clean it very carefully and frequentlly. Any liquid on it will be formidable to clean. If you hold it for a long time in summer, you will feel uncomfortable(At least for me ).
All my conclution is from the comparasion between my GT86 leather steering wheel and the LYNK&CO 03+. You guys might be unfamiliar with 03+. It is from Geely which owns 51% shares of LOTUS. The picture is below:
interior.jpg

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
In terms of steering wheel, I think leather is better. The problem of alcantare is that it will be messy if you use it for a couple of years. You have to clean it very carefully and frequentlly. Any liquid on it will be formidable to clean. If you hold it for a long time in summer, you will feel uncomfortable(At least for me ).
All my conclution is from the comparasion between my GT86 leather steering wheel and the LYNK&CO 03+. You guys might be unfamiliar with 03+. It is from Geely which owns 51% shares of LOTUS. The picture is below: View attachment 8047
How do you find the interior quality, seeing as the Rmira will have certain similar components?
Is the Lynk and Co thought of as a premium brand in China?

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For me personally, I think alcantara adds to the premium/ sporty vibe and much prefer it over leather. Will be pretty much a daily driver and if it gets tatty, great. I’ve used the car. I guess it can be recovered at some point.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I have said it on the other thread but there is no need to worry about Alcantara. It lasts as long as leather if you look after it as you would leather. Certainly long enough in car ownership terms anyway

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For me personally, I think alcantara adds to the premium/ sporty vibe and much prefer it over leather. Will be pretty much a daily driver and if it gets tatty, great. I’ve used the car. I guess it can be recovered at some point.
Personally I think it is completely the opposite. Most non car people do not even know what alcantara is. It looks like some artificial vinyl. I always thought the alcantara in my Nissan GTR looked cheap compared to the leather parts. I choose full Ice leather for that reason. If you track the car you might like the grip of the Alcantara. Personal preference like choosing the car color🤷‍♂️

OP
S

Shyatic

Reaction score
Personally I think it is completely the opposite. Most non car people do not even know what alcantara is. It looks like some artificial vinyl. I always thought the alcantara in my Nissan GTR looked cheap compared to the leather parts. I choose full Ice leather for that reason. If you track the car you might like the grip of the Alcantara. Personal preference like choosing the car color🤷‍♂️
Generally speaking I've learned how to track the car (and this is going back *years*!) to pull my seat back in the farthest position, click on my seatbelt and engage the 'lock' by pulling on it tight, and then pulling my seat up.

The seat has never made any difference because my belt locks me to the seat by forcing me in position anyway.

My logic for the leather is, easier to clean up, easier to repair (if anything happens), easier to maintain, and has longer longevity.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Generally speaking I've learned how to track the car (and this is going back *years*!) to pull my seat back in the farthest position, click on my seatbelt and engage the 'lock' by pulling on it tight, and then pulling my seat up.

The seat has never made any difference because my belt locks me to the seat by forcing me in position anyway.

My logic for the leather is, easier to clean up, easier to repair (if anything happens), easier to maintain, and has longer longevity.
I agree with you. People that say Alcantara is more durable are wrong. To say it is more high end is also wrong. Pretty sure they do not put Alcantara in Bentley’s.(could be wrong) I think It is like the parachute pants trend in the 90’s:p

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree with you. People that say Alcantara is more durable are wrong. To say it is more high end is also wrong. Pretty sure they do not put Alcantara in Bentley’s.(could be wrong) I think It is like the parachute pants trend in the 90’s:p

It's all marketing and perception at the end of the day.
I do think that leather can feel more premium, but it doesn't really belong in the fastest of sports cars anymore, definitely more GT. Which will suit the Emira tbf.

I'm pretty sure this isn't cheap 😅

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
no one should worry about alcantara stuff.

1. it lasts really long if you are not a pig
2. most people are pigs
3. just get leather
4. leather stretches and looks like crap if youre a pig
5. get cow patterned seat covers and a gold chain steering wheel from the 70's

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It's all marketing and perception at the end of the day.
I do think that leather can feel more premium, but it doesn't really belong in the fastest of sports cars anymore, definitely more GT. Which will suit the Emira tbf.

I'm pretty sure this isn't cheap 😅

Hmmm I don’t know this leather suits this zondac just fine👌
1660294224926.jpeg

Last edited:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
oh wow....
here is my two cents worth, but first off, clearly its a personal thing and for anyone to say one is better or more premium, is purely based on opinion and someone's opinion cannot be wrong as its simply an opinion... no one is stating it as fact.

Here is a fact, I had alcantara on my Ariel Nomad for 2 years. This car has no roof and no doors and yes it got wet and muddy, but the steering wheel not especially as there was a window screen at least. I took no special car or precaution for the wheel and after 2 years and 10,000km the wheel was fine, material unharmed. Not quite as nice as the day I got it, but not far off. I may during the 2 years have wiped it down with a damp cloth once or maybe twice, but certainly no more and no special products.

Many many GT3/GT4 and race car owners go for alcantara as the grip factor is higher, more friction than leather, obviously, more fibres. However, in that case you should perhaps wear gloves the pro drivers would say... and who am I to argue.
I can also add, after having driven an Emira with both steering wheels just a few days ago, the leather did not feel that "high quality". Not bad by any means, but dont be thinking its going to be highest quality, even top end BMW I would say feels better IMO. Same could be said for the alcantara IIAH. if I am honest... not used that one before 😂.
I have leather in both my current cars and I like it, but I have gone alcantara on the Emiras as to me, IMOOOOO it feels more sportslike, makes me feel like a race car driver, which lets be honest, is the only part of my driving that does so...

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Hmmm I don’t know this leather suits this zondac just fine👌View attachment 8075
I do agree. It is how its applied as well though. A decent mix of leather and alcantara can be really classy
If I'm honest if I had thought the seats in the Emira were going to be sporty enough to support as they should, I would have gone leather.
As per the many other spec unknowns I couldn't risk it though. Last thing I want is to be sliding around everywhere.....

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
when i bought my used 718 S (it looked a good idea at the time) it was fully loaded and actually had the carbon wheel, which I dreaded. Carbon for me should be used in the construction of a car, but I dont want to see it any more than I want to see tatoos on my girl friends behind, but each to their own ;).
However, quite quickly you get used to it and while I would never spec it, as it looks Bling (did I mention I dont like it?), it was fine and quite sticky..... ie none slip.
ahhh reminds me, on my Elise cup I spec'd alcantara for the wheel, well for many things actually, but they "forgot" to do the wheel... steering that is, I dont think even Leonard would thing that alcantara is good enough for the allow wheels yet.. haha... And so they changed it, I waited 3 months for that change before collecting my new car.
Sounds extreme and stupid, yes, but it was covid and lockdown so I couldnt drive the car anyway, so less extreme and stupid.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
when i bought my used 718 S (it looked a good idea at the time) it was fully loaded and actually had the carbon wheel, which I dreaded. Carbon for me should be used in the construction of a car, but I dont want to see it any more than I want to see tatoos on my girl friends behind, but each to their own ;).
However, quite quickly you get used to it and while I would never spec it, as it looks Bling (did I mention I dont like it?), it was fine and quite sticky..... ie none slip.
ahhh reminds me, on my Elise cup I spec'd alcantara for the wheel, well for many things actually, but they "forgot" to do the wheel... steering that is, I dont think even Leonard would thing that alcantara is good enough for the allow wheels yet.. haha... And so they changed it, I waited 3 months for that change before collecting my new car.
Sounds extreme and stupid, yes, but it was covid and lockdown so I couldnt drive the car anyway, so less extreme and stupid.
I'm not keen on Alcantara wheels at all 😁

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
This video made me reinforce my decision to go full leather:
I'm no fan of Alcantara but I think this video is a little misleading. Alcantara does not wear like that, and certainly not after only a few thousand or 10k miles. I believe this particular car had a driver that had especially oily hands or used a lot of hand cream. Cleaning the wheel and shift knob with a good leather cleaner should restore it back to its original fluffy state.

Anyway, I would also vote for the leather steering wheel. I have had Alcantara in a few of the cars I've owned. For people who track their cars, the extra grabby fabric is great for seating material. But as a daily driver, I find it to be too grabby and I have to lift myself off the seat in order to readjust my clothing. It's great as a headliner material. That's about it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
no one should worry about alcantara stuff.

1. it lasts really long if you are not a pig
2. most people are pigs
3. just get leather
4. leather stretches and looks like crap if youre a pig
5. get cow patterned seat covers and a gold chain steering wheel from the 70's
I have alcantara in my m4, I also maintain it and keep it clean which takes a considerable amount more effort than the leather surfaces. I can visually see the degradation over 2 years — there’s no way it’ll last as long as a leather.