Just got a call from Lotus re 6-9 mos delay for i4 Emira

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Can still take delivery in Q4 '22 if I switch to manual V6, at 30% more (circa $190K w/ taxes).

This is in Shenzhen, China. Apparently HK prices are far steeper.

But it's not all bad news. They will pay for my first year insurance.

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can still take delivery in Q4 '22 if I switch to manual V6, at 30% more (circa $190K w/ taxes).

This is terrible news! I ordered an I4 in August 2021 and was hoping for delivery early next year. I wonder if these delays will be affecting UK orders too? Not sure I've got the appetite for such a significant delay on top of everything else. Has anyone else had a call?

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is terrible news! I ordered an I4 in August 2021 and was hoping for delivery early next year. I wonder if these delays will be affecting UK orders too? Not sure I've got the appetite for such a significant delay on top of everything else. Has anyone else had a call?

My guess is that given they are a smaller manufacturer, their operational and logistics capacity simply doesn't allow them to work on too many different versions at the same time, not to mention they have to coordinate the importation of engines form MB under various supply chain issues and COVID situation worldwide.

hyperfect

Reaction score

I got the call, too. All the same except no offer of first year insurance, only free first three basic maintenances.

Beijing, China.

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's for all Chinese orders, my order is delayed as well. Given the fact that we were told we get first dibs on I4 cars I doubt yours will stay on track. We were originaly promised Q4 delivery so maybe you can work out your situation.

Now my problem is wether to buy a 718 boxster to fill in the gap or order another V6 Emira :rolleyes:

Now it's almost certain Eletres would come before Emiras for us, what a crazy time we live in.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have this feeling that Lotus might not get around to manufacturing the i4 Emira (100% speculation). If I were in China and could afford the above-3-liter-displacement taxes, I'd go for the V6...

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What are "calls"?
Looks like a China market specific thing, separate from the "congrats, it's your turn now to lock your spec" calls happening in the UK and other western countries. If I understand correctly, the v6 was not going to be sold in China and all deposits were meant for the i4. The "calls" mentioned in this thread look like "hey, the i4 will be delayed so would you like to switch to a v6?". I think.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

This shows even more the problems they are having at Lotus HQ and this horrible roll out of the Emira.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I can't imagine someone yet-to-decide on a V6 by now could expect to take delivery in 2022. Most people who made that decision a year ago won't even get one in 2022...

(and yes, I know we're talking about different markets)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I have this feeling that Lotus might not get around to manufacturing the i4 Emira (100% speculation). If I were in China and could afford the above-3-liter-displacement taxes, I'd go for the V6...
They will 100% do it, have the contract with AMG, which will not have been easy to get. Not just for china, but for most EU countries where they simply wont be able to sell the V6 in a few years, it will be outlawed just as the older Honda Vetec engines were, which is why most companies have had to keep investing in new and more modern engines, something which costs much much more than Lotus have spent on their entire factory and a cost they have not had to absorb..... so hold your breath and dont wait while standing up, but I am sure you will get your i4 car.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
i4 one am not surprised... ;)

Mildly, disappointed, but not surprised.

Seriously though, given that MB has switched nearly all their new models away from V6 and V8 engines, and are using the M139 (plus hybrid bits) up and down the range, feels like i4 engines could be even more supply-constrained for a little while. 🙁

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The v6 FE is now an option on the Chinese configurator, but you can’t pick options. 4 colour options only and no options selectable, just as is. Additional cost is 260,000rmb (38,500USD) over amg version.

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Frankly I just don't love the Emira THAT MUCH at almost $200K.

Might just get a hot hatch instead. It's very easy to get one under 5s for 0-100 these days.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Frankly I just don't love the Emira THAT MUCH at almost $200K.

Might just get a hot hatch instead. It's very easy to get one under 5s for 0-100 these days.
Yes, the reasonable price point (compared to other sports cars in China) for the AMG engine Emira is a bit less interesting after it gets a 30% bump for the V6, plus it comes as is, no option to change a thing (with several options I wouldn’t pick).

I think I’ll wait for the I4. Anyone else in China considering taking the V6?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I guess they’re testing the market to see if anyone will buy a V6 at that price, and as a means of offering an (expensive) alternative to delayed i4 depositors.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I guess they’re testing the market to see if anyone will buy a V6 at that price, and as a means of offering an (expensive) alternative to delayed i4 depositors.
Offering the V6 option is all well and good, but don’t understand why you can’t spec your circa £150k V6 Emira as you want. It’s not like these cars are built and ready to deliver.

Not sure a manual is gonna be too popular over here in China.

Personally I could be tempted by the V6 if I could compare the I4 and V6 but that’s not gonna happen before the deadline to book the V6 (Nov 22).

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did a little research on what the differences are between a 1.5-2.0l (AMG engine) and a 3.0-4.0l (V6) imported car into China. The difference is the import consumption tax as far as I can tell. The 2l has 5% consumption tax, the 3.5l has 25% consumption tax. Total importation taxes are approximately 73% for the 3.5l and approx 46% for the 2l. I’m no expert, I might have made a mistake (theoretically 19% increase in total cost, not considering the I4 is a bit cheaper).

Bearing the above in mind, the 30% increase for the V6 over the I4 in China seems more than necessary to maintain the same margin.