Insurance cover for UK test drives for drivers over 70 years old

Clagg

Reaction score
I am over 70 years old and arrived at a dealers over a week ago for a prebooked test drive to be told it was not available as the insurance would not cover me.
Apparently I should have had an email from Lotus h/q advising me of this but , yes you’ve got it, it never arrived.
8 days later CS e mail has stated “ have brought this up with senior management so that the terms and conditions
can be adjusted IF NECCESSARY ( my capitals “ An update will be provided as soon as we can. That word soon again.
Has anyone else over 70 managed to secure a test drive?
Does it take so long to reorganise insurance cover?
Maybe they ought to read the Equality Act 2010 ref age discrimination.
You really couldn’t make this up!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm surprised to hear that. I guess a restriction may be imposed by their insurers but that should be told to you in advance. Have you asked any other marques if they have age restrictions on test drives?

Note: I've changed the title of the thread so it's easier for people to spot the topic.

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that. I guess a restriction may be imposed by their insurers but that should be told to you in advance. Have you asked any other marques if they have age restrictions on test drives?

Note: I've changed the title of the thread so it's easier for people to spot the topic.
Interesting I had my test drive on 10/11/2022 five days after my 70 birthday on 5/11/2022.
I passed over my licence, they photocopied but no mention of issues.

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am over 70 years old and arrived at a dealers over a week ago for a prebooked test drive to be told it was not available as the insurance would not cover me.
Apparently I should have had an email from Lotus h/q advising me of this but , yes you’ve got it, it never arrived.
8 days later CS e mail has stated “ have brought this up with senior management so that the terms and conditions
can be adjusted IF NECCESSARY ( my capitals “ An update will be provided as soon as we can. That word soon again.
Time to reflect, who do these people think they are to discriminate you like this. Frankly shocking.

DJManc

Reaction score
Time to reflect, who do these people think they are to discriminate you like this. Frankly shocking.
I have worked for several motor dealerships over the years and they all used third party insurance that had an upper age limit (this was usually over 80 years though). This is a really unfortunate oversight on the part of Lotus cc though!

Biggles of Norwich

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
70th Birthday April 2023. Test drive at Hethel 20 July 2023, my wife also had a test drive, age 73. Both showed our licences, no questions asked.
(UK) Strange how the government seem happy to push the Old Age Pension entitlement date into the future but age limits and hikes on insurance don't seem to follow.